Alright so I'm just starting to get to the recording phase of my musical journey. As of right now I was thinking about getting this set-up:

Gear
Is this everything I need to get started? Does anybody know if this stuff is good quality or not? Am I expected to supply all the cables and mic stands on this?

Smaller questions
1. I was going to get an external hard drive. How much memory should I get on it?
2. When recording guitar parts, should I plug it in directly or mic my amps?
3. Would I be able to mic drums with two mics? I know it wouldn't be super professional quality, but would it atleast sound passable?
What is your gear? You sort of skipped that part haha

EDIT: oh wow I feel stupid. Sorry
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
Last edited by gatechballer at Jan 2, 2010,
That's a good beginner setup. You can record drums with it, but I'd recommend getting a second 991 for that. Use them as stereo overheads and you'll get a way more balanced sound out of the kit.

External hard drive for WHAT, exactly? If it's for your recording files, then be careful! They'll load slower and everything will be crappier. Use it for your other files like movies and iTunes etc and keep all of your recording files on your computer. Get a 500gb drive, they seem to be the most storage for your money (unless you think you'd need a terabyte. I have one and barely touch it honestly).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Eww, stay away from the MXL 990s. They are pretty crappy mics.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
You will need cables and stands but other than that it's a very nice start IMO
Two XLR mic cables will work fine, i use middle of the line cables, no monster high priced crud. Monoprice.com is a great place to buy for a good price.

I suggest building an external drive as you can get a top of the line Western Digital Black 500GB SATA for about $70 if you shop around. Just get a SATA supported enclosure from newegg.com
HOWEVER...To get best results, you will be much better off running an internal drive if on a desktop as the speeds are much faster though SATA than USB.

I would mic your amps, that give that best tone from the amp and cab, directly plugging into the interface requres you use software to model guitars and it hardly sounds great IMO.

yea I would suggest micing drums with two same mics though such as two MXL 991s or something else. You will need to look on ebay for that as MXL does not sell the 991 in pairs.

-----------------------------------
To the post above:
What don't you like about these mics?

I've heard it both ways but me personally, I think they are great mics for the price. I use the 990 every day for my live video podcasts and software tutorials.
Last edited by moody07747 at Jan 2, 2010,
Quote by moody07747
To the post above:
What don't you like about these mics?

I've heard it both ways but me personally, I think they are great mics for the price. I use the 990 every day for my live video podcasts and software tutorials.

I've heard both ways too. I personally have a MXL 990 and idk if its just mine is terrible or everyone who has one is a complete moron but they sound terrible. The tonal qualities I've gotten from them just suck to the point where no amount of EQing can fix it.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp