Page 1 of 2
I was doing some research on the obtuse heptagram (http://aftermathnews.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/obtuse_heptagram-ant.png?w=190&h=186). I came across its symbolism of various things including the Babylon empire. However, I'm more interested in the symbolism in regards to the band TOOL. Any info on this?

Thanks
Get up and free yourself from yourself.
- TOOL -

GEAR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (silverburst)
Ibanez SZ720FM
Alvarez AD60CK
Crate FW65 Combo
Dunlop GCB95 CryBaby Wah
BOSS TU-2
BOSS DD-7
BOSS NS-2

since you're not actually talking about tool or their music, but discussing symbolism that the band uses, this is probably more appropriate for the pit, so i'll move it for you.
from daylight...
...into darkness
Have tool ever used that symbol in anything other than the parabola video for like 5 seconds?

The parabola video is pretty surreal, so try researching surrealist films a bit and then find out the meaning of the symbol. then draw your own conclusion. surrealism is all about freeing you to find your own conclusions in things instead of having everything sussed out for you. I'm sure everything in the video is there for a reason.
Last edited by Azwethinkwedo at Jan 2, 2010,
Danny's a strong believer in "sacred geometry" and uses his drums as a ritual to summon "daemons" or something like that. Certain geographic shapes represent different powers and stuff like that.

He's definitely an acid head.
R.I.P. PAUL GILBERT

You will be missed...
I love Tool but they are very much up themselves, and the fans read a great deal into their songs and artwork.

To answer your question, i don't know what the symbol means.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by archangels666
Maynard probably thought it was cool and used it.

This.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
The image is called "Sigillum Dei Aemeth".

Tool is very much into the occult. Not demons and devils per-say. But into spirituality and transcendency. Everything that they write has some deeper meaning to it. They also use Fibonacci numbers in their writing and artwork.

I used to have a page on it, but if you do a bit of searching on google there are pages dedicated to their ideals and their symbolism.

Do a search on Sacred Geometry, Enochian Magic, and Sigillum Dei Aemeth. That should get you started.
Behemoth has used on their new album, Evangelion and probably others, so it definitely has something to do with occult things.

Other than that, I can`t help you with it.
There's a lot of speculation behind their symbol. The heptagram in Christianity represents perfection, but seeing how Maynard is clearly not a Christian, I doubt that he used the symbol for that reason. Danny is also a strong practitioner of sacred
geometry, so there could be a mathematical explanation, I dunno what it would be though. It is a very spiritual symbol though, so there's a clue.
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at Jan 2, 2010,
It hurts my eyes
LOYAL?
HARD WORKING?
FULLY EXPENDABLE?

THE EMPIRE NEEDS YOU!
IT'S NOT ABOUT PAY, IT'S ABOUT CRUSHING THE REBELLION
Quote by Azwethinkwedo
Have tool ever used that symbol in anything other than the parabola video for like 5 seconds?

The parabola video is pretty surreal, so try researching surrealist films a bit and then find out the meaning of the symbol. then draw your own conclusion. surrealism is all about freeing you to find your own conclusions in things instead of having everything sussed out for you. I'm sure everything in the video is there for a reason.

Great. Thanks a bunch.

I read up on both surrealism and automatism. Very interesting stuff. Also, I did a little research in sacred geometry.

The main reason I brought this up (other than the fact that I was stoned while thinking about it) is because the logo is on every TOOL shirt I own, and like Azwethinkwedo said, it's in several videos. It's been mind-screwing me for a while.

I did a little research on Danny Carey, because I know he sets up his set in a certain fashion that represents this sacred geometry. I came across the Unicursal Hexagram (http://obscurantist.com/images/unicursal_hexagram.png). According to a few sites, it represents self-confidence. I could only gather that the heptagram represents the 7 days of creation. I checked out dannycarey.org, but I couldnt find much about the sacred geometry and symbolism

Can anyone touch down more upon these?

Thanks!
- TOOL -

GEAR
Ibanez SZ720FM
Alvarez AD60CK
Crate FW65 Combo
Dunlop GCB95 CryBaby Wah
BOSS TU-2
BOSS DD-7
BOSS NS-2

- TOOL -

GEAR
Ibanez SZ720FM
Alvarez AD60CK
Crate FW65 Combo
Dunlop GCB95 CryBaby Wah
BOSS TU-2
BOSS DD-7
BOSS NS-2

Quote by sglover34479
i suddenly like tool a lot less..

Makes me like them even more.

I found something about the symbol representing the seven planets. These planets were seen by alchemist as connections to the spirit and soul. The Seven Planets represent learning, imagination, memory, intellect, will, sense, and body.
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by ewall09
I was doing some research on the obtuse heptagram (http://aftermathnews.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/obtuse_heptagram-ant.png?w=190&h=186). I came across its symbolism of various things including the Babylon empire. However, I'm more interested in the symbolism in regards to the band TOOL. Any info on this?

Thanks

watch this it will blow your mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujAlmq_v32c
i love how people try to get so deep into other bands music
Gear so far:
Dean Vendetta XMT
Roland Microcube

Infiltrate the system and rot it from the inside-out.
Quote by Shaggy_420

I find it fun to try and figure out stuff like this. Nothing wrong with that at all
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by Shaggy_420

Coming from you who likes Tenacious D...i dont think that will be an issue bro

I like Tool, but i didnt get into Sacred Geometry because they did. Its a mindblowing theory.
Quote by Shaggy_420

Get over yourself dude.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
The d is all sacred

nah i just think theyre funny, they add a comedic feature to music, sort of like zappa only not as much

anyway back to the sacred geometry
i just watched that video and im really confused and am not going to watch all 100 parts
basically everything is made of spheres that are made of quadrahedrons
and the fruit of life and blah blah
truely mindblowing
no joke
Gear so far:
Dean Vendetta XMT
Roland Microcube

Infiltrate the system and rot it from the inside-out.
Quote by Shaggy_420
The d is all sacred

nah i just think theyre funny, they add a comedic feature to music, sort of like zappa only not as much

anyway back to the sacred geometry
i just watched that video and im really confused and am not going to watch all 100 parts
basically everything is made of spheres that are made of quadrahedrons
and the fruit of life and blah blah
truely mindblowing
no joke

i wouldnt expect a 13 year old to understand anything rather than sucking on his mothers tit and pokemon bro.
Quote by archangels666

How dare you insult Pokemon like that?

Sacred Geometry means Pikachu is perfect.
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception
Tool are amazing. Maynard has written all my favourite lyrics and they really impress me, everytime. Though, a lot of songs bore me. I'll look into this too, sounds interesting.
It's on a lot of Tool t-shirts. So when I wear mine people always go, "Why do you have the Jew star on your shirt? Are you Jewish or something?"

And then when I say no they then proceed to tell me a holocaust joke.
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.
PROTIP: Tool probably have no freaking idea what it means, they just used it to look different and edgy.

inb4 hate, I love Tool.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Last edited by [x]Huffy[x] at Jan 3, 2010,
This is why I love Tool. There's all this crazy crap that they're supposedly into, and you can spend hours researching it to try and figure out what it means, but in the end, for all we know, most of this stuff could just be random things the guys decide to put places to make their fans go nuts over, and they could be sitting at home laughing their asses off.
Hey thanks for everyone that had something good to say about this. It's really interesting shit. Screw all you haters. If you can't dig into yourself and just learn about the unknown, then screw off.

I'm watching that video. Freakin' crazy.

Keep the links comin.
- TOOL -

GEAR
Ibanez SZ720FM
Alvarez AD60CK
Crate FW65 Combo
Dunlop GCB95 CryBaby Wah
BOSS TU-2
BOSS DD-7
BOSS NS-2

looking at that thing is a major mindfuck
"Bullshit is the glue that binds this nation together."
-George Carlin

The Human Fund: $0.00
PM me to donate
aight guys I totally just found what I think seems to be the ultimate explanation of the Obtuse Heptagram.

http://www.joy101.org/bc-03-7-hermetic-principles.html#The%20Seven%20Principles%20of%20Hermes

Keep in mind that there are SEVEN points on an Obtuse Heptagram. Therefore, each point of that heptagram references one of the Hermetic Principles
- TOOL -

GEAR
Ibanez SZ720FM
Alvarez AD60CK
Crate FW65 Combo
Dunlop GCB95 CryBaby Wah
BOSS TU-2
BOSS DD-7
BOSS NS-2

- TOOL -

GEAR
Ibanez SZ720FM
Alvarez AD60CK
Crate FW65 Combo
Dunlop GCB95 CryBaby Wah
BOSS TU-2
BOSS DD-7
BOSS NS-2

Quote by dark&broken
This is why I love Tool. There's all this crazy crap that they're supposedly into, and you can spend hours researching it to try and figure out what it means, but in the end, for all we know, most of this stuff could just be random things the guys decide to put places to make their fans go nuts over, and they could be sitting at home laughing their asses off.

ive been thinking this for a while now. i get the impression some of it is written with the intention of being somewhat esoteric and symbolic etc, but seriously they must get some laugh readin fanmail talking about all these wacky theories theyve come up with after analysing their songs.
Danney Carrey has those symbols on his drum kit.
Uncle Vernon, Uncle Vernon,
independent as a hog on ice,
He's a big shot down there at the slaughterhouse,
Plays accordion for Mr. Weiss

This is a photo of Adam Jones in front of an Enochian magic board. The outer "star" looking thing could be that of the heptagram, its kind of cut off so you cant tell for sure.
Anyways, those boards are used for evocation and commanding of various spirits.
Quote by Shazazmic
He's definitely an acid head.

a dmt head.
Here is going to be a pretty awesome signature.
Quote by BullonParade
ive been thinking this for a while now. i get the impression some of it is written with the intention of being somewhat esoteric and symbolic etc, but seriously they must get some laugh readin fanmail talking about all these wacky theories theyve come up with after analysing their songs.

Exactly, I know they take some of the stuff seriously, but when you hear stories like the time they were playing a show with Mastodon, and right in the middle of Mastodon's set, Justin Chancellor came out in a gorilla suit, with Adam Jones holding this box with a joystick and pretending to control the gorilla as it cartwheeled and flipped it's way around the stage... you really have to wonder
Quote by dark&broken
Exactly, I know they take some of the stuff seriously, but when you hear stories like the time they were playing a show with Mastodon, and right in the middle of Mastodon's set, Justin Chancellor came out in a gorilla suit, with Adam Jones holding this box with a joystick and pretending to control the gorilla as it cartwheeled and flipped it's way around the stage... you really have to wonder

I would love a link to that. seriously.
- TOOL -

GEAR
Ibanez SZ720FM
Alvarez AD60CK
Crate FW65 Combo
Dunlop GCB95 CryBaby Wah
BOSS TU-2
BOSS DD-7
BOSS NS-2