I've been wanting to learn and incorporate some exotic scales and sounds into my music and was wondering what kind of scales/modes/chords go along with...

egyptian sounds
church modes
irish/folk sounds
viking/folk sounds

thanks in advance
For an Egyptian inflection, I'd try Phrygian dominant.

For folk music 99% of the time the natural minor is used, and sometimes Dorian.

For Irish reflection, Mixolydian works nicely.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
for irish folk major minor dorian and mixolydian are most common but its more about the phrasing than anything else
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
The scales your looking for don't exist as far as I know, it's all about phrasing.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
I dont know the name of this scale but it can be used for Egyptian sounding music. In D it is as follows:

D,Eb,F#,G,A,Bb,C#

The above scale I only use for soloing and in the bass line use the root, fourth fifth and occasionly Bb.
Q: What's the difference between a Mexican standard tele and an American standard tele?

A: £600
Try the Phrygian Dominant scale, it's charmed many a snake

http://lessons.mikedodge.com/lessons/PhryDom/PhryDomTOC.htm

Read the Introduction.

Here's another tutorial when you're done with that one... http://lessons.mikedodge.com/lessons/IndSlide2/indslidehome_frames.htm

Also trying stacking Phrygian Dominant scales a 4th/5th away from each other into one scale, it creates some nice/common chromatic grouping used in middle-eastern and Mediterranean type music. IOW...like this...stack a B Phry Dom and an E Phryg Dom scale into one continuous scale. Draw them out on a black fretboard and you'll see some cool things that lead to some cool sounds.
Quote by jenguind
I dont know the name of this scale but it can be used for Egyptian sounding music. In D it is as follows:

D,Eb,F#,G,A,Bb,C#

The above scale I only use for soloing and in the bass line use the root, fourth fifth and occasionly Bb.

That's the double harmonic. Basically a Phrygian dominant scale with a raised seventh. Sometimes called Hijaz Kar
egyptian sounds
church modes
irish/folk sounds
viking/folk sounds

To sound egyptian, you should definitely use the Phrygrian mode.
For church sounds, a lot of church music is based on the Dorian mode.
For irish sounds, you should use the Mixolydian mode.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
For egyptian sounds, the Harmonic Minor is the main scale (Phrygian Dominant is the 5th mode of the harmonic minor).
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I would suggest you also look at the phrasing, conventions and instrumentation used within each genre, as a scale alone, although it may give you a general sound, will not let you write music directly applicable to a specific genre or style of music.
Quote by rockingamer2
For egyptian sounds, the Harmonic Minor is the main scale (Phrygian Dominant is the 5th mode of the harmonic minor).

But the changing of the tonal centre changes the entire flavour of the scale. Saying the Harmonic minor is basically the same as Phrygian Dominant is like saying that the Major scale is basically the same thing as Phrygian.
Quote by The_Toki
But the changing of the tonal centre changes the entire flavour of the scale. Saying the Harmonic minor is basically the same as Phrygian Dominant is like saying that the Major scale is basically the same thing as Phrygian.

I never said they were the same thing. I said the Phrygian Dominant is a mode of the Harmonic Minor Scale.

They do sound different, but they are very similar. They both have a step and a half leap which gives the Egyptian feel to the scale.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK