OK, so I understand proper technique. I totally get it, but achieving it is so hard! I just recently noticed that my pinky curls up into my hand when I'm playing, and after I noticed it I became self conscious and I could hardly play anything after that because I was constantly trying to keep my pinky near the fretboard. So -

Should I continue focusing on keeping my pinky near the fretboard, even though it hinders my playing? This same thing happens with anchoring, almost exactly.

Thanks a lot, I can't help but notice how insanely helpful people on this site are.
**** proper technique. Unless you're aspiring to be some uber shredder than it's not all that important. As long as you can play the music that's in you that's all that matters.
There are a lot of guitarists out there who advocate NOT anchoring your hands as it adds weight and strain to them without much reason. I used to have your problem too, and I cut out anchoring from my playing naturally and I felt like I could play longer and better without the pains. It just takes some getting used to. As to your pinky, if you can try to keep it pressed against your ring finger. If you can focus on keeping it gently pushing on your ring finger you should naturally stop curling it. Hope this helps!
Fixing your pinky will make you more efficient and fixing your anchoring will prevent tension issues like carpal tunnel later on in life. Don't listen to guys like RandomJahLove. Attitude is important as a player and having a bad one won't help you in any way.
Thanks a lot for the advice. I'll try to stop these nasty habits, but it really just feels like I'm starting from scratch when I'm watching these things, which is kinda bugging me a little...
Quote by Unispex
Thanks a lot for the advice. I'll try to stop these nasty habits, but it really just feels like I'm starting from scratch when I'm watching these things, which is kinda bugging me a little...

Slow right down and really concentrate on what's going on and make sure you get it 100% right. It might help to correct all aspects of your technique simultaneously (like anchoring, fretting, hand positionings ect.) rather than having to keep going back and sort it out.
This doesn't mean you can't play guitar in the meantime, you can keep playing in your flawed way (like just playing through songs you already know for fun) whilst you're learning to play in a better way. Obviously a point will come when you want to make the change but it can get really depressing if you're refusing to play anything for fun until you've got technique 100% down.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Avedas
Fixing your pinky will make you more efficient and fixing your anchoring will prevent tension issues like carpal tunnel later on in life. Don't listen to guys like RandomJahLove. Attitude is important as a player and having a bad one won't help you in any way.

But when I have a bad attitude/bad mood it helps me write KILLER thrash metal...does that count as helping?
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

Quote by Unispex

Should I continue focusing on keeping my pinky near the fretboard, even though it hinders my playing? This same thing happens with anchoring, almost exactly.

It depends. If you are tensing up more and constantly trying to move your finger nearer the fretboard, then no. The idea behind stopping your finger curling is to stop the tension that is causing it- not to create more tension in the opposite way. If that makes sense?

When your finger curls up it's because it's being pulled there by tension. Don't focus so much on moving your finger back, but focus on removing this tension. This might even be caused by your third or second fingers, but once you find it that's the key.
Than I shall search for this tension. I'm trying to learn a lil' from John Petrucci's "Rock Discipline", so maybe that will help too.
Quote by Snap017
But when I have a bad attitude/bad mood it helps me write KILLER thrash metal...does that count as helping?

But that ain't no music!

Jokes aside, Unispex, JP does quite a bit of anchoring himself. When watching him live I notice sometimes you can see him relax quite a bit after a fast run or solo. He's kind of a big guy so it can be hard to see. I can't imagine how much tension he's got goin' on there though.

When you practice, then you work on improving your playing, so when you practice, work hard at issues you're correcting or whatever you think will improve your playing.

When you play, do whatever you want, no rules.
I've been having the same problems. Both the pinky issue and the mental aspect. Like FP said, you don't need to ALWAYS watch your pinky to correct the bad habit, because thats what it is. A habit. Just put five or ten minutes a day to ONLY watching your pinky. Play the simplest exercise you can think of so you can concentrate completely on your pinky. I know it's frustrating, but even just a few minutes each day will get your muscles used to it. If you're having trouble, you can use a rubber band or something to keep your pinky right near your ring finger. That helped me a ton. After a little while, your pinky will be comfortable with being near the strings without the rubber band. Just keep at it, man.
The guy's a beast, but he uses 8s. So he's shit.
-juckfush on Alex Hutchings.
thanks a lot for the help, guys. I'll keep trying to fix these habits. ^_^
Quote by Unispex
Than I shall search for this tension. I'm trying to learn a lil' from John Petrucci's "Rock Discipline", so maybe that will help too.

JP's pinky is far away from the fretboard too sometimes though...or at least thats what I thought I saw the last time I watched G3 Live in Tokyo.