Hey everyone! I've been meaning to change the speaker in my ValveKing 112 for a while, and now that it's blown, I'm even more eager to replace it. I was thinking of going with tried and true routine of installing a Warehouse Vintage 30 ( a vintage 30 replica without a mid spike), but since the holidays have rolled around I find myself with an excess of cash and I was wondering if it is wiser to purchase a 2x12 cab than just a speaker? I already understand that two speakers give me the option of going into stereo, but are two speakers really louder than one (the wattage is remaining the same is it not?)? I'm hoping that someone is awake at this hour and can provide input on this thought? Perhaps a cab suggestion? My budget is 500, the VK112's got one external speaker out and it's got a fixed resistance of 16 ohms. Thanks for reading!

Ciao
Quote by Twist of fate
Once, I watched Star Wars episode 4. I timed myself so that I came right when the death star blew up.

Afterwards, Han Solo said "Great shot kid, that was one in a million!"
It's not a matter of volume. 2 speakers are not necessarily going to be louder than 1 because you are splitting the signal. When it comes down to it, you may percieve more volume because you're pushing air over a larger area, and it also affects the tone, 2 speakers in a larger enclosure will give you a bigger, fuller and less boxy sound than replacing the one speaker in your cabinet.

The wattage rating on a speaker doesn't have anything to do with volume. It is a measure of power handling. Two speakers will also give you twice the handling capacity.
Quote by al112987
It's not a matter of volume. 2 speakers are not necessarily going to be louder than 1 because you are splitting the signal. When it comes down to it, you may percieve more volume because you're pushing air over a larger area, and it also affects the tone, 2 speakers in a larger enclosure will give you a bigger, fuller and less boxy sound than replacing the one speaker in your cabinet.

The wattage rating on a speaker doesn't have anything to do with volume. It is a measure of power handling. Two speakers will also give you twice the handling capacity.

Interesting...really. I will keep that in mind, thank you. Is there anything else you can tell me? I'm a bit green on this non-line-6-amp business.
Quote by Twist of fate
Once, I watched Star Wars episode 4. I timed myself so that I came right when the death star blew up.

Quote by al112987
I mean... what else do you want to know?

Hmm. There are certain things that people learn from experience. Is there anything you can tell me so that I don't wait til five years down the line? Good mics+recording equipment suggestions would also rock. I'm used to a line 6 and a digitech processor, so not having a headphone/line out has put a bit of a damper on my recording.
Quote by Twist of fate

Shure SM57 for the mic. Recording can be expensive or as cheap as you want. Got a budget on an interface?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by R.D
Shure SM57 for the mic. Recording can be expensive or as cheap as you want. Got a budget on an interface?

The SM57 looks very promising. I've got about 100 bucks to spend on an interface. I've been using audacity and it seems to be the best recording program for the buck (a staggering $0), so a recording/mixing program is optional.
Quote by Twist of fate