Im really into art but Im having a hard decision whether to choose drawing or graffiti. Im not that bad at drawing but sometimes graffiti can seem very awesome and cool when its done right (not just some lame taggings that you see every so often) So what is your input/opinions of either one of these types of arts to help me decide which one would lead my onto a better success in the long run?

Thanks
People would pay to buy drawings
You would pay if you got caught doing graffiti

Thats how it is here, anyways.
Drawing. You can express yourself without making everyone have to look at the crap you painted all over the overpass
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
I did graffiti & got caught but was arrested & luckily not charged so if your gonna do it. DONT GET CAUGHT!. & not on someones house. better if its a public place like a street wall.
Quote by Kyose
You sir are my God.

That game had the best synthesis system ever.

Quote by firebird103
I'm pretty sure you just won the thread. I can confirm everything you just said as well being a heavily qualified geek myself....

Congrats sir
Pencil on paper can be removed with rubber and a strong forearm.

spray paint on street wall can not be removed quite so easily.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by Thepredster
I did graffiti & got caught but was arrested & luckily not charged so if your gonna do it. DONT GET CAUGHT!. & not on someones house. better if its a public place like a street wall.

What kind of dick graffitis on someone's house?
Call me Matthew.
actually, with a rag graffiti can easily be removed when still wet. i know a lot of people who get busted for graffiti and nobody gets charged UNLESS its profane/gang related, if its actual art such as a mural or something, they normally will 1, not even bother you, 2, tell you to leave, or three, just take you home.

If you being "real" graffiti i know is much more appreciated, in my opinion artistic wise by other artists as well as other people in general cause it can make a run down place look so beautiful, google up some graffiti in the South Bronx for example.

Drawing, sure can be purchased but if thats the only reason youre doing it youre holding back on what you WANT to do.
"You know it's funny when it rains it pours
...They got money for wars, but can't feed the poor"

Techno artist and rap producer in training

Street art =/= graffiti
Spray paint =/= graffiti
Urban Art =/= graffiti
Graffiti is nothing more than vandalism. On top of that, I find most "graffiti" to be pretty bad. Urban art, street art, spray paint, I'm fine with that. Taking your art to the streets isn't bad. Vandalism is the kind of thing that happens and if I ever catch you doing it to myself or someone I know, that can of paint is going down your throat. Most "Graffiti Art" tends to be crap too. Just really, do actual art, take it to urban areas if you want. Having permission to do a good piece of art on a wall isn't bad.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Quote by Chaos Nil
Street art =/= graffiti
Spray paint =/= graffiti
Urban Art =/= graffiti
Graffiti is nothing more than vandalism. On top of that, I find most "graffiti" to be pretty bad. Urban art, street art, spray paint, I'm fine with that. Taking your art to the streets isn't bad. Vandalism is the kind of thing that happens and if I ever catch you doing it to myself or someone I know, that can of paint is going down your throat. Most "Graffiti Art" tends to be crap too. Just really, do actual art, take it to urban areas if you want. Having permission to do a good piece of art on a wall isn't bad.

Having permission to do it kind of defeats the point sometimes.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
To give you guys an idea of what Im looking for, I like to draw all sorts of things (skulls, cartoon characters, logos, people, etc..) Im not just wanting to put my name out there (like all lot of graffiti artists do, even though some of it can be pretty cool looking) but if that helps at all?...
Quote by swordsman14
To give you guys an idea of what Im looking for, I like to draw all sorts of things (skulls, cartoon characters, logos, people, etc..) Im not just wanting to put my name out there (like all lot of graffiti artists do, even though some of it can be pretty cool looking) but if that helps at all?...

Ah, so you lack creativity. I see this crap sprayed up everywhere. If i see one more fking smurf on shrooms i swear to god...
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
Quote by DempseyPunk
Ah, so you lack creativity. I see this crap sprayed up everywhere. If i see one more fking smurf on shrooms i swear to god...

Umm excuse me but I only mentioned those things as one of the few things I like to draw, hence why I wrote etc... I enjoy drawing various other things too, I never limit myself to what I want to express or want to do in any aspects of my life. But still I would like some more reasonable input from more people still to give me an idea of what to decide with.
i like pop art, its alot cheaper than so called "real art" and theres quite a big market for it.
you could prob sell a fair bit of graffiti styled pop art
Do both?
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Drawing is easy.

Rattlecanning is hard.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by Gyroscope
Drawing is easy.

ಠ_ಠ
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by Momentosis
ಠ_ಠ

What? Its true. Drawing with a pencil is much easier than drawing with a spray can.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Quote by IDread
What? Its true. Drawing with a pencil is much easier than drawing with a spray can.

He didn't really compare the two.

To TS, it wouldn't be that hard to do both.
Quote by Well.......
He didn't really compare the two.

Fair enough.

Quote by Well.......
To TS, it wouldn't be that hard to do both.

In fact, if you want to do graffiti art then you will need to sketch out your art first. You would have to be some kind of graffiti genius to just go out with some spray cans and do a good piece off the top of your head.
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Quote by IDread
Fair enough.

In fact, if you want to do graffiti art then you will need to sketch out your art first. You would have to be some kind of graffiti genius to just go out with some spray cans and do a good piece off the top of your head.

Good graffiti... I think thats a myth.
Quote by Chaos Nil
Good graffiti... I think thats a myth.

Not really, there's a lot of beautiful art out there.
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
Not really, there's a lot of beautiful art out there.

Yeah, I know. Its just one of those things. The more people that keep getting into graffiti... they are just pissing in an ocean of piss. You occasionally find someone good, but for every person that does something DECENT, you have hundreds of others who do piss poor shit. Its the people that actually do something good though that are more than doing graffiti, its usually more street art and stuff. Closer to art in urban areas than graffiti.

Edit: Just as a fast example, "graffiti art" tends to be a lot closer to regular art. Look at digital art today and you will see a lot of what I mean. In the end, it becomes a lot closer to "normal" art on walls and such. I can appreciate a lot of the stuff that's in the link here.
http://www.marcofolio.net/photoshop/graffiti_art_to_boost_your_inspiration.html
Last edited by Chaos Nil at Jan 2, 2010,
Quote by Chaos Nil
Yeah, I know. Its just one of those things. The more people that keep getting into graffiti... they are just pissing in an ocean of piss. You occasionally find someone good, but for every person that does something DECENT, you have hundreds of others who do piss poor shit. Its the people that actually do something good though that are more than doing graffiti, its usually more street art and stuff. Closer to art in urban areas than graffiti.

Edit: Just as a fast example, "graffiti art" tends to be a lot closer to regular art. Look at digital art today and you will see a lot of what I mean. In the end, it becomes a lot closer to "normal" art on walls and such.

Aye, most people here think scribling some cheesy made up name and drawing a spliff next to it counts as good graffiti . Theres some beautiful stuff though i remember seeing on this wall on a big park near my grandads, so you're right about the one person doing some decent and ect.
I am studying arts, and been drawing for over 10 years, one thing you can be sure...you can do things with a pencil that you can't with a spray-can...I've tried graffiti , and the actual activity is the most thrilling part , the fear of being caught, there is nothing more into it...the art quickly fades and vanishes till no one notices it..where in a paper you can give it to someone even years after it has been made.
Sure graffiti can be used in good creative ways or as a gift , but depends on who you're giving it to and who u are...just look into you and decide , people can't make that call based on what you wrote, nor anything you can ever write.
Gear :Squier + Vypyr 15W / UCG102 + Picks = Awesomeness !
Quote by Chaos Nil

Edit: Just as a fast example, "graffiti art" tends to be a lot closer to regular art. Look at digital art today and you will see a lot of what I mean. In the end, it becomes a lot closer to "normal" art on walls and such. I can appreciate a lot of the stuff that's in the link here.

Quote by SonorSam
I refer you to this gentleman here:

http://www.banksy.co.uk/

So Inspiring and amazing!
Quote by luv090909
People would pay to buy drawings
You would pay if you got caught doing graffiti

Thats how it is here, anyways.

This. Graffiti can indeed look awesome but the law doesn't see it that way.
Quote by CFH82
Ejaculate in MY moustache?!

Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.ಠ_ಠ
I'm a street artist, I primarily use stencils but sometimes do a bit of freehand. A lot of people think I'm just a painter and decorator... they don't know my dirty secret.
I prefer drawing, mainly because I'm not into graffiti or painting.

I can't say which is better though, it's all down to personal preference
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off