New Years Eve last night. Played with two bands did a lot of singing and practicing over the past week but my voice wasn't weak, if anything, very strong. I sang great during the gigs...well not great, my top range was weak and I had to crack into falsetto, which sucked. Regardless, I have a severe cold right now, maybe even bronchitis or something, goin to doctor soon. I was hacking all night long and at seven this morning I felt my voice give. I've been talking really deep all day, and I just picked up my guitar. My chest voice hurts, but its there. My head voice is completely gone. It just comes out in a whisper. If I push even a bit, my vocal chords sting. I'm really hoping this is temporary,
Temporary. Don't worry about it.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Temporary for shure, but give your voice rest! please just don't sing for a weak or 2 maybe! your voice needs to chill out just a little
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this.
It will heal faster if you don't use your voice as much. Good thing to do if you have to talk is to whisper rather than try to talk loud and low.
Edit: Sorry, I meant talk quietly rather than whisper.
Last edited by Chaos Nil at Jan 2, 2010,
Ugh staying away from singing is going to suck but I guess its worth it to keep my voice. I'll just work on guitar. Thanks for the quick responses. This hasn't happened before and I wasn't worried until I tried to sing and nothing came out. I'll take a week or two off then.
good job sir XD (Y)

and like Chaos Nil said rather whisper then try to talk loud and low

that will **** it up mostly now
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this.
You won't kill your voice after one night, or even one week.

Vocal damage comes as a result of abusing your voice over time.

Now, one night of abuse can set you back a few days. You may well have strained it slightly, but the severe cold isn't helping matters.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
oh shit, please don't listen to the people telling you to whisper instead of talking
just speak softly but not breathy until your voice heals up, whispering will just dry out your vocal cords really badly and probably make your recovery take longer

and drink plenty of water, aim for at least 2 litres a day
Last edited by Cheeseman07 at Jan 2, 2010,
Yeah, I meant talking quietly rather than actually whispering. I was thinking along the lines of "Speak like a whisper" but that's not what I wrote >_>''
Well, I'll answer the question that's in the topic title.

Yeah, it can definitely be permanent. If you're blowing your voice consistently over a period of years, you'll do permanent damage in the form of nodes (essentially calluses on your cords.) Prevention?

1. Turn up the volume on the mic. No reason to push extra hard to be heard over a band.
2. Take some pressure off those cords. People are usually surprised about how little airflow is required to sing.
3. Stop doing funky stuff with your voice. This is pretty understated. When people take lessons, teachers will come up with silly exercises and different things you should do while you sing. They're generally hindering. If the way you sing feels uncomfortable, or vastly different from the way you speak, you're probably singing in a way that's difficult, inefficient and/or unnatural sounding.
Quote by Mekchrious
My chest voice hurts, but its there. My head voice is completely gone. It just comes out in a whisper. If I push even a bit, my vocal chords sting. I'm really hoping this is temporary,

I had same simptomes after beeng sick for a weak or so. It took me a long time to recover my falceto.. maybe more then a month. I though it was permanent. i became panic But it did restore after all. So do not worry about "permanent". But worry about the reason WHY you lose your voice. Try to prevent this from happening again.
Why was because I did a ton of coughing did a bunch of damage then 2 gigs in one night and yelling all night lol. And refusing to stop when i felt my voice getting shaky.
Keep doing that and you'll be in for it.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.