Well, I never thought I'd do this, but I'm thinking about selling/trading my Gibson Explorer for something else! To be totally honest though, the main thing that's been making me hold onto it for so long is the sentimental value...it's been through gigs a plenty over the time I've had it, and is my first "serious" guitar. But from another standpoint, the playability and tone just aren't doing it for me anymore. I've become more fond of longer-scale necks, like those found in my other guitars, and I've played other Gibsons (SG's, couple of Les Pauls), that just make my Explorer feel and sound like crap to me in comparison (Maybe it's Gibson quality control at hand?)

Anyway, enough of the sappy contemplative BS, lol. While it's still a thought it consideration, and not a definite go just yet, I need some suggestions on guitars to go try out. Here's a list of guidelines to consider.

- Budget-wise, it needs to be able to acquired through selling/trading the Explorer straight up, which is in good, but not amazing shape
- I have no prejudice to a specific body style, but it's always nice to have one flashy guitar in the rig .
- Looking for something set-neck or neck-through
- Fixed bridge preferred
- Pickups don't really matter much, as long as they're passive. I'll probably swap in some DiMarzios anyway.
- Genre-wise, this guitar is gonna be strictly a metal machine (melodic death, thrash, heavy, and some metalcore)

I'm open to try anything that meets the criteria, so fire away!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Last edited by FlightofIcarus at Jan 2, 2010,
Quote by whatadrag
what kinda music are you gonna be playing?
Whoops! , haha. Mostly metal, ala Melodic Death, Thrash, Classic, and the occasional Metalcore.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
if you're going to do a pup switch, then I would say an SG would do you well. My epiphone in my sig is actually a little better suited for metal than my Hellraiser, and if you're going Gibson than I don't see any trouble getting some awesome tones out of it.

You could check into some Schecter guitars. The Schecter C-1 has a full 24 fret neck and a good tonality. I think you'd be able to afford one with the cash from your Explorer.
Don't get rid of your Explorer! I got rid of one in '92, and regretted it for years. I finally got a new one in '07- that was a long wait. Also, with the pending investigation into Gibsons alleged violation of the Lacey Act, American made Gibsons may be a thing of the past. Unlikely, but I'd wait and see what happens. Their CEO is exactly the kind of lunatic that would move them to Mexico if it helped his bottom line.
If you're going for a pup change, it may be an idea to try some higher-end LTD'S.
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
If you like the guitar you will regret getting rid of the explorer. Add to the collection. Selling is a last resort maneuver best saved for when you just short of selling blood to scrape up food money.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.