I just finished watching It Might Get Loud and it just struck up an old question I've had for a while that I had never got around to asking anyone.
How does The Edge make his guitar swell away so nicely when he strikes a chord or plays anything for that matter?
I know he loves his delays and that's about all I know
MUST....BUY.....MORE.......PEDALS.....!
U2 has a gigantic bank of keyboards and outboard gear under the stage live. Entire guitar parts are programmed. Makes me sick...
it's interesting, definitely worth the watch
it's nice to hear what these guys think about the guitar and focuses better on the guitar part of songwriting than most other documentaries i've seen

and the sound the edge gets is just this chime that seems to ring and fade out after he plays every note and the each note just swells away into silence, and it's ****ing beautiful and i just wanna know what he does or uses to get that effect
I'm such an Edge fan He's so cool

He uses multiple delay units, going into two Vox AC30s which helps make it ring out. Another is his pick: it's serrated or jagged or something and when it hits the strings it really chimes out. He also plays chords strangely, which he talks about in the movie. I saw it a month ago so I can't remember how he did it.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
^^ He plays them so he only plays a fragment of the chords, so you don't have complex overtones, it's simplified. For example, instead of:

e|0
B|0
G|1
D|2
A|2
E|0

He might play:

e|0
B|x
G|1
D|x
A|2
E|x

He uses delay, A LOT. He has a huge rackmount with presets for every song, plus two huge pedalboards in the movie.

I thought It Might Get Loud was very cool. I am a huge Jack White fan, b=seeing the Edge sort of sent my minimalist brain into shock. I did think it was very interesting the way he used effects so cleverly. But am I the only one who thought Jimmy Page was a conceited douche through the whole movie?

Jack White was amazing by the way .
Sweet, thanks for that due 07!

Also, hold the pick so that you attack it perpendicular to the string, almost like you're going to slice it. It gets a nice chime in, which will only be accented by using the serrated/rough pick.

Another thing is his amp, the Vox AC-30 which has a nice trebley chime to it.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
i see, i guess it is the delays then

jack white thoroughly impressed me throughout the whole movie
i like how he takes his own approach to guitars physically and mentally in so many ways

i didn't see the douche in jimmy, i just think he has such a huge reputation with led zeppelin that he's just seen with godly status amongst everybody else who wasn't a part of his time period
You often hear people talk about how Jimmy Page is a big ol' douche. I didn't really notice it, but he definitely walks with a bit of swagger. Then again, he's an amazing guitarist and musician.

Jack White seemed like a kind of guitar masochist to me. He likes guitars that are out of tune, hard to play, etc. A strange approach but inspiring nevertheless.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
It's strange how the Edge got one of the best chimes I've ever heard not out of a Rick, or even a strat, but an Explorer! I thought he'd at least a use a Gretsch or a mini-bucker equipped Firebird .

About Jimmy Page being a douche, it was mostly contained in his playing, and the way he played. He was kind like "Oh yeah, that's right, I'm Jimmy Page, I'm playing guitar." Especially in the beginning when Jimmy is playing some clean passage on that Les Paul. He is just an absolute wanker on all levels, just look at him. Throughout the movie, Jack and Edge were showing their inventive styles and what they've done with guitar. Whereas Jimmy was talking about how great he was, what with his generic electric blues sound.
Feel free to send my reward to a charity of your choice.

Peep this!

http://www.amnesta.net/edge_delay/
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by due 07
It's strange how the Edge got one of the best chimes I've ever heard not out of a Rick, or even a strat, but an Explorer! I thought he'd at least a use a Gretsch or a mini-bucker equipped Firebird .

About Jimmy Page being a douche, it was mostly contained in his playing, and the way he played. He was kind like "Oh yeah, that's right, I'm Jimmy Page, I'm playing guitar." Especially in the beginning when Jimmy is playing some clean passage on that Les Paul. He is just an absolute wanker on all levels, just look at him. Throughout the movie, Jack and Edge were showing their inventive styles and what they've done with guitar. Whereas Jimmy was talking about how great he was, what with his generic electric blues sound.
There is nothing generic about Page's guitar sound.
Quote by due 07

It could only ever be considered "generic" if you take into account that for a lot of people Page has the archetype of hard british rock sound. But even then there are too many variations on that to consider it "generic."
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

i thought jimmy was acting all right, im my time of dying at the end was great, edge didnt really know it, jack did but thats because he steals all the licks all plays them during death letter live.
Quote by due 07
But am I the only one who thought Jimmy Page was a conceited douche through the whole movie?

Yes. Believe it or not, during an interview, one answers the questioner, even it it means talking about oneself.
after you get your delay settings right...

i hold my pick like im going to do a PH, but the point goes towards me. and i use the nail on my index finger to sound the string below it. with varying angles, you can get different sounds. also throw in some light palm muting, and you really get the staccato sounds!
My Rig

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Honey Burst
Fender MIM Stratocaster Ash Natural
Crate v18 2x12
Eleven Rack
Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret
BBE Sonic Stomp
BMP with Tone Wicker
Dunlop Cry Baby
To answer the OP- if you saw the movie, you saw the ****ing supercomputer of the Rack that the guy uses.

Quote by Airline-Olie
i thought jimmy was acting all right, im my time of dying at the end was great, edge didnt really know it, jack did but thats because he steals all the licks all plays them during death letter live.

Jack White actually has a cover of that song, though it sounds more like the Bob Dylan version.

Quote by due 07

You're retarded.

Just to add, I ****ing hate U2, but that movie gave me the slightest respect for Edge. Though I still ****ing hate U2.
Like Goolz said - he has a butt load of effects. I didn't realize he used that much gear for his tone. I too have more respect for Edge after watching 'It Might Get Loud'

off topic
I'm actually watching the movie right now. Jack White is talking about how you have to work with your instrument and it pans to his guitar he once played live that had blood all over it and he says....
"You have to fight these man made materials"

Also, I saw another side of Page in this movie. The humble human side. Plus he's done a shitload of drugs in his life which skews reality.
I too loved It Might Get Loud, I had horrible GAS after seeing it. But I learned so many cool things.

Make sure you go watch the Deleted Scenes, Jack teaches them both how to play Seven Nation Army, it's funny to watch cause they all have to run back to their Whammys to turn on and off the effects. It made me laugh.
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15