I had my first practice with a drummer today and his Vox AD30VT isn't gonna cut it. Neither is my amp. So I'm in the market for a decent 50 watt tube head (could go 100 but that wouldn't be completely necessary). I will be gigging in the future and I play in my garage so noise isn't an issue. I'm looking to get a Dream Theater type tone, I don't actually play DT, but I want that sort of distortion. I would get a Mark V, but they are nearly $5000. I can spend up to $3000 AU, not including the cabinet. For cleans all I need is something warm to saturate with reverb and delay, no twangyness or anything. Used is good too. I think I've covered everything. Also I don't want to have a pedalboard with distortions and stuff. Just something that can take delays, reverbs etc.

Also I'll be able to go to guitar world on the gold coast to try some out next week.

http://www.guitar.com.au/

So I am open to any recommendations.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Actually haggle with the dealer. They'll usually move 30% on expensive items here in Australia.

That puts the Mark V just inside your budget.

Edit: Oh, you can go used? A Mark IV/V here in Aus secondhand is about 2.5k. Same price as a Triple Rec -.-
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Last edited by R.D at Jan 2, 2010,
Really? I haven't seen much good stuff on ebay but i'm keeping my eyes open. A Mark V would be really awesome. Also, how about some sort of JCM as my local shop deals them?
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
JCMs don't really fit the sound you were describing. Marshalls are very british voiced, while Dream Theater sounds way more modern. But if you like the sound of the Marshall, it's up to you.
Quote by Rockford_rocks
HENDRIX WAS NOT MEANT TO GO WOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLY!

You wouldn't need a 50w tube amp, a 30w tube amp is loud enough for large gigs.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Yeah but the 30 watt amps don't have all the features like an amp such as the mark V or a JSX 50. I don't want something like a blackstar or peavy classic.
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator