My 1st 7-string song. Which happens to be an excellent remake of a crappy song. If only movies could achieve that too.
It's divided into 2 sections; the slow, droning atmospheric set and a speedier tech/math metal portion.

I was directly inspired by a few other songs I listened to today. I also only spent a couple hours on this song, but it feels much more complete and well rounded than other songs I spend 20+ hours on.
It's also brevity is due to the fact that most of my songs are verbose; the this is the laconic anti-thesis to that. And I'm damn proud of it.

NOTICE: The original version is in my Mein Comps link, 7.Pullion (obviously). Go ahead and check it out, but I would rather prefer a crit of this song.
Attachments:
7=7.zip
Last edited by huevos at Jan 2, 2010,
Although not quite my style, I enjoyed most of this song. This song has a very deep athmosphere going on in the first half. I really like your choice of voicings. Another great aspect is that the bass indicates the groove that will be used later in the song even in this intro or 1st section. I also like the use of that 2/4 bar in between. Your simplistic approach to the drumming is also very well thought out.

I like how it leads to the "All Rise" Section, in which your chord progression shows its full potential. However, I was not a big fan of that what followed afterwards, although it sounded more complex than nearly 100% of all the stuff posted on here which use the word "Tech" or "Technical" in the title. I think the most defining factor for that is your simplistic approach to drumming, which does not rely on bassdrum overuse. You also manage to fit that dissonance very well into the context, without overuse.

The "Inverted Swelling" section was probably my least favourite section, but that´s mostly because of taste, not because of bad writing, you still use the dissonance fitting, but the only thing that bothers me a bit is that the bass is barely audible because it´s mostly coping the guitar, with less to play. I could see some holes in the sound which could be filled by the bass in this section.

Overall, this seemed to me like a very thought-out, almost like a bit distanced, song, which features a lot of great parts, but still is a bit short. But who am I to say that, my song lengh isn´t the most lenghiest either. Please keep me posted about your other new stuff, it sounds very interresting.
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
The inverted swelling section had a great vibe to it, reminded me of an intense megaman level

The first 2 sections gave a different, almost dream-like atmosphere.

Overal, short, but attention grabbing with many different musical colors. The way the song ends makes me want to listen to it over and over again for some reason, too
Starts off with a trademark huevos chord progression - awkward and ethereal as hell. I always get a motW feeling from your songs, and this is no exception.

The Seed that Killed the King = pure ****ing win. It just sounds so... badass. I was a bit disappointed that it didn't play again in the song, but that was before I realized how short this song is. I suppose the listener will keep being drawn back to the song, just to listen to that riff... (well, that would be the highlight for me.) Also, I guess the general atmosphere would draw me back to it as well.

Inverted Swelling was alright, but also my least favorite section. It's an acceptable way to finish the song, I guess.

EDIT: So, after sleeping and doing other shit, this song got stuck in my head, and now I realize it's even better than I first thought.
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Jan 3, 2010,
Well, very short song man... the chord progression at the beggining took me a while to ascertain properly, it starts off very sudden and therefore is rather hard to listen to until it sinks in, but even then, it sounds a bit strange I think with the jazz guitar - still, interesting progression and nice chords, I still found it rather unique.

I just found the very length of the intro the song came into full blast really fast and really well at 57, and I was awaiting something epic and really progressive, but it seems to end just as it starts... by that definition I seem to think it stands more as a sort of interlude than a song itself.

I must say that as Red Death said, The Seed that Killed the King is ****ing awesome, and one of the coolest riffs I've heard in a long time. That being said... I get the impression the entire thing barely sounds like a coherent entity, it just really ends abruptly.

Cool ideas though, but I'd say you have a lot of place to elaborate on this song.
Quote by JazzDeath
Well, very short song man... the chord progression at the beggining took me a while to ascertain properly, it starts off very sudden and therefore is rather hard to listen to until it sinks in, but even then, it sounds a bit strange I think with the jazz guitar - still, interesting progression and nice chords, I still found it rather unique.

I just found the very length of the intro the song came into full blast really fast and really well at 57, and I was awaiting something epic and really progressive, but it seems to end just as it starts... by that definition I seem to think it stands more as a sort of interlude than a song itself.

I must say that as Red Death said, The Seed that Killed the King is ****ing awesome, and one of the coolest riffs I've heard in a long time. That being said... I get the impression the entire thing barely sounds like a coherent entity, it just really ends abruptly.

Cool ideas though, but I'd say you have a lot of place to elaborate on this song.

I made this song very quickly and wanted to use as little layers/tracks as possible.
I've been thinking of reconstructing it, but that could be a while. I'll post a revised copy if I get around to it.
Also, I want something that I could actually play. The Seed that Killed the King would be the only really difficult part.

If I do extend this song, I'll have the tech and post parts clashing in sync. Rosetta (band) and Dysrhythmia are giving me ideas as how to achieve that.
Well.. first of all I liked the fact you used 7-string guitars! Haha.
Seems like I'm not the only one who doesn't use it for only technical wankery.

I liked the ethereal vibe of the clean part, even with those 2/4 bars, which, at least to me, affects the mood in a bad way. I tried leaving it as 4/4 (therefore I just let the last note/chrod ring longer) and it had a better flow. There was no "awkwardness" in bars 16/17, when the drums start to build up.

In "All Rise" I felt that the drums had a weird way of accentuation. I'd have tried something by myself, but somehow you managed to let GP play drums on an Acustic Grand Piano, haha. Sorry for being unconstructive on that part.
Also the transition to "The Seed That Killed The King" was rather sloppy, imo.

Otherwise the "The Seed That Killed The King"-riff made up for the bad transition. Pure awesomeness.
Fading in "Inverted Swelling" flawlessly and being badass, I consider it my favourite part of the song.
Well, the next part sounded cool at first, but it was getting more and more uninteresting to the end.
It's ok to end it like this.. but I think you are capable of much more.

All in all, I, personally, would not call it a song but rather consider it as a collection of good riffs.
CLICK
Quote by synestershadows
Holy shit nemesis, that was depressing.
Mission accomplished!
Hey there, sorry about taking forever to get back to you - tbh I only just realised I hadn't given a crit back when you gave me yet another comment just today...

The Melancholy Throne - I didn't find this as weird to my ears as some other people evidently have - but I can certainly backup the claims that it's different. Refreshing for me, personally. When I first listened to it, the dissonance in a few parts didn't bode right with me - but on a second listen, that all seemed to go away.

All Rise - nice and simple development on Melancholy Throne, and so transitions very nicely. I do agree with Nemesis that the snare accentuations didn't feel quite right - not that I'm a drummer or anything. I think it was mainly the 2/4 bars in that section - starting them with a snare felt very... disorientating, since it doesn't feel quite natural.

The Seed That Killed The King - hm, I am not a huge fan of the transition there - certainly feels a tad hurriedly written - and lo and behold, it was. It shows in that part, that's all I'm saying.
I don't have a head for riffs, really, so can't really decently judge it - it's good, but all I can say is that maybe another layer of something or other could work there... but that's just my personal preference, and probably doesn't fit anyway...

Inverted Swelling - my personal favourite part here.
Probably because it's an interesting riff, and for the most part is "clean," if you know what I mean... by which I mean that it doesn't have any real dissonance, and is a tad more melodic than the preceding riff - this stuff is more what I can get behind, and properly appreciate.
Just one little nitpick - I felt that was a strange choice of an ending chord... too happy, dammit!

So yeah, it was an interesting listen.
Hope you get a full-length song done in this vein in the future - it would be something refreshing amongst all the metalcore etc songs that are usually posted here. And yes, I shall adhere to your request for my completed song - I love it when people are interested in my work, haha.

Cheers