Whats the difference between EMG 81's and 85's?
i recently picked up an RG, guy said it had 81 and 85 but turned out both were 85... i have an 81 i wanna swap it in but where should i put it, neck or bridge?
The 85 is a fatter sounding pickup. The 81 is more clear and defined. If you need a tight metal assault, go 81 and if you don't like that, go 85. I really like the 85 in the bridge though. It's a thick sounding pickup, really nasty. The 81 is nice is the neck as well.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
thanks for your input, would i be alrite running both 85's? its got a 85 SA 85.... or would i be better off throwing in the 81?
It all depends if you like the 85s or not. When I was using EMGs, originally, I had the 81 in the bridge and neck. I ended up putting an 85 in the neck at one point, not really liking it so I chucked in the 81 in the neck and an 85 in the bridge. It stayed like that 'til I sold the guitar.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Do you like the sound?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Personally I like the 81 in the neck, gives you that creamy neck pickup sound but remains nice and clear. Depends what you like though, to be honest if it 'ain't broke don't fix it. If you like how it sounds now there's no real reason to dick with it, they're both great pickups.
Quote by Ital_Stal
thanks for your input, would i be alrite running both 85's? its got a 85 SA 85.... or would i be better off throwing in the 81?

Mix and match, that's the beauty of EMG pickups it's so easy to change pickup positions depending on how bored you get.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Mix and match, that's the beauty of EMG pickups it's so easy to change pickup positions depending on how bored you get.

+1

That kept me amused for a couple of months.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
It's normally 85 as bridge pickup, 81 as neck. That's how my ESP came

Honestly they're fantastic. Use the 85 for distortion, 81 for clean. The clean, while maybe not to the standard of a Fender for blues, will do great for arpeggio melodies and chords. The 85 on distortion is just brilliant for the heavy shit, pinch harmonics are made a dream with EMG's
Quote by p o e
I hate math...

Dude, i came here to learn sex, not math.

Uncool.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
+1

That kept me amused for a couple of months.

Indeed I'm about to get an 89 so I'll have the 81/85/89 at my disposal so it'll certainly be interesting times ahead changing pickups every 5 minutes.
Quote by Eddie's'Waitor
It's normally 85 as bridge pickup, 81 as neck. That's how my ESP came

Honestly they're fantastic. Use the 85 for distortion, 81 for clean. The clean, while maybe not to the standard of a Fender for blues, will do great for arpeggio melodies and chords. The 85 on distortion is just brilliant for the heavy shit, pinch harmonics are made a dream with EMG's

I usually see 81 bridge 85 neck, both 81s or 81 bridge 60 neck.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
so upon looking take the pickups again... the ones in the guitar are the older ones without quick switch capabilities so i think i'm just going to leave them as is... sounds pretty sweet anyways...
if you can get bored, you can add those quick switch thingies. They need to become a standard in all pickups because i don't own a soldering gun.

LOLfail i know.
Where do you get those and how do you put them into an existing wiring schematic?
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
if you can get bored, you can add those quick switch thingies. They need to become a standard in all pickups because i don't own a soldering gun.

LOLfail i know.

I don't think so the EMG pickups are hard wired and don't come with the clip unless they utilise the quick connect system.
um... if youre guitar came with the 85 in the bridge and 81 in the neck, its came from the factory wrong. Thats essentially the Zakk wylde set and they are supposed to be an 81 at the bridge. The difference between the two is that the 81 has ALOT more upper mid range, a slight trebel boost and the bass frequencies are cut by a couple dB and the overall bias of the pickup is towards a brighter sound. The 85, on the other hand, has a lower mid boost and the upper mids are cut a little, along with there being a smoother bass response giving a pickup that has a little more sustain and is alot smoother.

other than that, the 85 has traditionally come with gold writing and the 81 in silver, though EMG seems to have stopped doing that