Page 1 of 6
So obviously the English language is changing and Americanisms are seeping into British culture. For example 'damn thats awesome' rather than 'bloody hell thats brilliant' or 'you're retarded dude' rather than 'you're a bit thick mate' (not great examples but anyway).

Which phrases have you noticed that UK people now use? Do you think the homogenisation of culture and language is a bad thing, or if everyone speaks in a similar way, do you think this brings people closer together?
Last edited by Sir-Shredalot at Jan 2, 2010,
I can't stand Americanised spelling. For example, Google Chrome tells me that "Americanised" needs a 'z' in it.

Gtfo Google Chrome.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by blackthought
Pip pip, cheerio guvna.

?

pip pip??

cheerio is a good example. i use that all the time.
The grammar nazi's will be all over this

Isnt the Americanization of the english language due to the fact of all of the mass media coming out of America?

Anyway on topic I live in Australia and i have noticed that small Americanism are slowly slipping into the Australian english language
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I can't stand Americanised spelling. For example, Google Chrome tells me that "Americanised" needs a 'z' in it.

Gtfo Google Chrome.

Iam with you on that Zero-hartman I cant stand how they spell certain words.
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
Quote by blackthought
I always think of an old British guy in a suit with a top hat and monocle. That's how I'm picturing you right now.

imagine a scottish guy with jeans and a led zep shirt and contact lenses.
i dont care about spelling at all.
as long as i can understand what there trying to say
That may be, but from my personal experience I know the English taught in schools in non-english-speaking countries is british English.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Quote by innertom
i dont care about spelling at all.
as long as i can understand what there trying to say

Spelling isnt the issue, its a change in language.
I don't see any thing wrong with it. Culture and language change over time. Deal with it.
The rest is finally starting to talk like the best.

Also, I hate the Americanized "bro" and "brah" - Hate. Hate. Hate.
I want women throwing their thongs 'cause I wrote their favorite songs.
I see the americanisation of words all the time especially in the media and at school.

I've even recently started using the word 'awesome'
Quote by blackthought
Pip pip, cheerio guvna.

?

I for some reason though that you were writing Che Guevara in a weird way... ... I feel stupid now.
I don't think it's a change to an American style of language, just a process by which new phrases and words enter the language. Sure, I may say "that's awesome" or the word "man" (not as much as Cheech and Chong or anything...), but I still use words like "bloody" and "mate" all the time.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

I love you more than life itself.
Quote by fantasyh
That may be, but from my personal experience I know the English taught in schools in non-english-speaking countries is british English.

really? i didnt know that. american english is more logical in a lot of ways i have to say for example 'thru' rather than 'through'
Quote by Bearded_Seth
Wanna know why why I don't like the way Americans use our language?

Aluminum.

well i guess they are both inaccurate. Alum should be pronounced like plum i suppose.
I don't mind American English at all, but for gods sake, i am English. British can mean that i'm from Scotland, Ireland, or bloody Wales!
Britain has become one of the biggest shitholes in Europe due to shit government and mass immigration.
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Last edited by King Twili at Jan 2, 2010,
Quote by King Twili
I don't mind American English at all, but for gods sake, i am English. British can mean that i'm from Scotland, Ireland, or bloody Wales!

I understand your trepedation, Scottish Irish and Welsh people would obviously be mortified to be classed as English obviously.

Also Northern Ireland is not in Britain bro.
Quote by Bearded_Seth

Aluminum.

Oddly enough, American scientific publications will still spell it properly(aluminium). Or at least, they did when I was at uni, and read them occassionally.
Quote by MightyAl
Oddly enough, American scientific publications will still spell it properly(aluminium). Or at least, they did when I was at uni, and read them occassionally.

They spell it correctly, but pronounce it incorrectly.
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
I have been told by my english language tutor that the american english is essentially the british english set back a few years, granted they may have developed down slightly different avenues but things such as the use of 'z' instead of 's' is what the british people would have done ages ago.
Quote by MightyAl

"Properly"? How very condescending of you.
Quote by King Twili
Britain has become one of the biggest shitholes in Europe due to shit government and mass immigration.

Maybe you should take your nationalism to the politics thread.
The worst example I noticed was a girl I know getting confused when I said I was going for a '***' and thinking I meant a homosexual. As an Englishman, I found this depressing.

EDIT-Fag is blocked. IT MEANS CIGARETTE, FOR GODS SAKE!!!
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Last edited by neopowell at Jan 2, 2010,
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
well i guess they are both inaccurate. Alum should be pronounced like plum i suppose.

No.

Edit: To the post above me, It doesn't mean cigarette, it means inconsiderate douchebag harley rider.

Thus I am very confused as to why you are going for one of them. Are you bike curious?

Quote by DeadlyIllness

[that guy again] gets the drum Solo and Title King of the UG.

*Drum Solo*

Steam: yintonyinton
PSN: yintonyinton
Last edited by that guy again at Jan 2, 2010,
Quote by Bearded_Seth

Aluminum.

the guy that discovered it originally called it aluminium in keeping with the rest of the periodic table trends(calcium,magnesium etc...) after a while he changed it to aluminum for some reason or other.the americans changed as well whereas the rest of the world kept with the original.both are accepted in the science world but aluminium is the preferred
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
I've like notice that like teenage girls have like started saying like after like every couple of words. It's like really annoying because like you don't like need it there or anything.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by that guy again
A fine counter argument if I do say so myself

touche bro. maybe if you could back up your claim in the first instance....
I say 'dude' to my some of my mates all the time without thinking about it.

Then I feel stupid
_________ __________________ _________

Quote by robertito696
I mounted a dildo onto one of my combat boots, now I can show him how much I love him instead of just saying it.

Quote by SteveHouse
EVERYBODY PANIC
Quote by Eggmond
the guy that discovered it originally called it aluminium in keeping with the rest of the periodic table trends(calcium,magnesium etc...) after a while he changed it to aluminum for some reason or other.the americans changed as well whereas the rest of the world kept with the original.both are accepted in the science world but aluminium is the preferred

I heard it was something to do with a mispelling on a label which just eventually turned into the norm..

Probably bollocks though.