Hey guys, quick question...how hard would it be to swap out active EMGs for passive pickups? I wanna get an ESP Viper because they look and play amazingly but I don't really like the sound of EMGs. What I want to do is swap those out for say, an Iommi humbucker in the bridge and something better for cleans in the neck, but I'm not sure whether it would be worth it or not if it's going to cost me a bunch of money to get it done. What do you guys think?
Piss easy job mate. You'll obviously change your pickups, your input jack (stereo to mono), your pots (25K to 500K) and then the most important part is you'll need to ground your guitar. Usually this requires soldering some wire from the back of your volume pot to the bridge. I'm not too sure if it's on your guitar already or not but I know that some times you'll already have that wire soldered in place for you just not connected to the pot.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Piss easy job mate. You'll obviously change your pickups, your input jack (stereo to mono), your pots (25K to 500K) and then the most important part is you'll need to ground your guitar. Usually this requires soldering some wire from the back of your volume pot to the bridge. I'm not too sure if it's on your guitar already or not but I know that some times you'll already have that wire soldered in place for you just not connected to the pot.

+1

Yeah, that's basically what you have to do man. All you need is a screwdriver, a soldering iron and the electronics.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
wont he lose sustain thanks to the battery cavity?
Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
Quote by Lobyte

a lil bit but it might not be very noticeable.
Quote by Lobyte

Definitely not enough for anybody to discern.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by azn_guitarist25

you're so smart
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Definitely not enough for anybody to discern.

Exactly my point
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]THIS JUST IN: cramming batterys into orifices of your guitar will NOT make sustain any longer. This is considered instrument rape and is still illegal in 49 out of 50 states.

zoom 505 of the 90's was the best (after that they went down)
Quote by Lobyte

i doubt youll lose any sustain. considering its always been there and there hasnt been a change in actual body mass he should be straight. if you notice it then somethign else is going on.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by Lobyte

Unless the presence of a battery adds some unknown dimension of sustain and tone that no man will ever be able to accurately reproduce.....I think he'll be just fine.

THIS JUST IN: cramming batterys into orifices of your guitar will NOT make sustain any longer. This is considered instrument rape and is still illegal in 49 out of 50 states.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']THIS JUST IN: cramming batterys into orifices of your guitar will NOT make sustain any longer. This is considered instrument rape and is still illegal in 49 out of 50 states.

sigged my friend
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]THIS JUST IN: cramming batterys into orifices of your guitar will NOT make sustain any longer. This is considered instrument rape and is still illegal in 49 out of 50 states.

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Thank you my friend

Your welcome. (says the old man who FINALLY decided to open an account here.)

Quote by Endoftheworldto
Your welcome. (says the old man who FINALLY decided to open an account here.)

....STAY AWAY FROM MY ASSHOLEEEE!!!

Wait you have to change your input jack too? This is news to me lol
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
yes the input jack on active pickups is stereo to stop the battery from draining when not plugged in

on passive pickups this isn't necessary, a mono input jack will do fine on those
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo