Page 1 of 3
Going to bed earlier protects teenagers against depression and suicidal thoughts, research suggests.

A US study of 12 to 18-year-olds found those with bedtimes after midnight were 24% more likely to have depression than those who went to bed before 2200.

And those who slept fewer than five hours a night had a 71% higher risk of depression than those who slept eight hours, the journal Sleep reports.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8435955.stm

Thoughts on this? Do you stay up late at night? Is this a question?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I just read the snippet you posted, but yes, I would agree.

Edit: Except I'm out of that age range. Meh.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Last edited by Spoony_Bard at Jan 2, 2010,
But going to bed early means you have no friends to stay out with, and that's depressing.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
that would explain a lot.

EDIT: and i think that it means on average, because if you go out every day and stay out past midnight then your probably desperate to fit in or have no commitment/purpose in life.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Last edited by metallicafan616 at Jan 2, 2010,
I'm up until 3am and get around 5 hours of sleep every night. I'm pretty happy, just fucking bored all the time.
Correlation does not imply causation?
Military use of children?

Infantry.
2200? What is this, Bastogne?

/just watched Band Of Brothers

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I've been a night hawk for as long as I can remember, and it's never caused me any problems because I'm generally a happy person. The mild depression I've been suffering lately can't be attributed to that.
Nikolas
I always go to bed after midnight when I don't have school or anything the next day and on week days I usually go to bed at about half 10. I just can't get to sleep if I go to bed any earlier
Quote by Zero-Hartman

I remember watching that. I nearly cried when they got to the camp
Quote by Kneusje
Correlation does not imply causation?

cause and effect?
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
Well i'm awake during the night, I wake up around 3 pm and go to bed at around 7 am and I wouldn't considered myself anymore depressed than someone who is primarily active during the day.
Jeff Loomis

Myspace.com/geneticbydesign
7:30am, still haven't slept from waking up at 5pm after sleeping for 12 hours. I'm not depressed. Just bored as hell. I did wash my hair though after my scalp got really itchy. I suppose that could be a real problem.
I want women throwing their thongs 'cause I wrote their favorite songs.
research says a lot of things
personally I'd like to cum on it's face
personally If you've seen fight club he says
reality fades when youcant sleep
so it's more of away to deal it
that's how I'd do it myself
edit: I read this back and realized I'm still a bit drunk
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Last edited by Nameless742 at Jan 2, 2010,
Quote by Nameless742

Is this a poem or something?
Surely it's more related to lack of sleep other than late night sleep.
Check out my Tumblr
Quote by Victory2134
The world seemed like a better place when I didn't know what racism, genocide, and the internet was.
Quote by maggot9779
I remember watching that. I nearly cried when they got to the camp

Fantastic series, they're releasing another one this year about the Pacific theatre, can't wait

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I'm gonna play my Bullshit card on this here study

as a teen, i don't think i ever went to bed before 1:00am each day of the week. Most of my nights were spent being up playing my guitar or Diablo2 (which i still do). I was never depressed and i'm still not.

Even now, i've got a lot on my plate as far as things i should be depressed about and i don't go to bed before midnight. I'm still alive and well.
HA! I go to bed at around 9:30 on weekdays (it varies on weekends). It's cuz I get up at six in the morning. I noticed I have been happier since I started doing that...(I also take a vitamin D supplement).
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
As has been said just because there's a correlation doesn't mean there's a causation.

However I can understand that for some cases it probably is true.

1. Lack of sleep means the brain is not functioning as well as it should, this impairs your ability to make decisions, this means you make bad ones. Bad decisions could lead to bad situations which could lead to depression.

2. Going to bed late but not having a lack of sleep suggestions either;
a) You got up late
b) You don't need much sleep

in case b I don't see a problem, some people really are fine with only 6 hours of sleep

case a could in a round about way cause depression. If you are continuously getting up late, it could make you feel you are wasting the day, if you feel you are wasting the day every day this could make you feel you are wasting your life, if you feel you are wasting your life I'm fairly sure you could be depressed.

Of course. A lot of people go to bed late fairly often and have no problems whatsoever.

What may cause it to be higher in teens is hormone levels and their effect on everything. A lot of teens think they feel depressed, whether they are or not is for expert opinion.

That's what I think anyway.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

I often go to bed past midnight, but not very long after. When I start working full time again though, I'll be in bed by 10 at the latest I think.
Quote by blackthought
Is this a poem or something?

on iPod
screen was only so wide
o should write music when I'm wasted
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Fantastic series, they're releasing another one this year about the Pacific theatre, can't wait

omgomgomgomgomg

/fanboy

I don't remember a camp in Bastogne?
I can see how a lack of sleep could cause a depression but not going to bed at a later time.
I would think that going to bed at a later time would be a result of depression (obviously not ALWAYS the case), not a cause.
Quote by Zero-Hartman

Boxset or regular TV? I've heard so much about it and I've been dying to see
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Quote by Nameless742
edit: I read this back and realized I'm still a bit drunk

That explains it. I thought you were just really crap at haikus.

Quote by JohnnyV
I'm gonna play my Bullshit card on this here study

as a teen, i don't think i ever went to bed before 1:00am each day of the week. Most of my nights were spent being up playing my guitar or Diablo2 (which i still do). I was never depressed and i'm still not.

Even now, i've got a lot on my plate as far as things i should be depressed about and i don't go to bed before midnight. I'm still alive and well.

Unbelievably you're not the only teen, though.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
i used to have major sleeping problems. too much darkness isnt good. i used to feel depressed and a bit isolated.

ive recently changed to a n active lifestyle and reasonable diet with more daytime activities, and i feel totally different.
Quote by Kensai
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8435955.stm

Thoughts on this? Do you stay up late at night? Is this a question?

Either bullshit with the correlation=/=causation thing or having the cause wrong (with the depression resulting in staying up late).
I've got a bunch of issues, and I stay up till about 3 every night, but I stay up till 3 because I read and watch tv and listen to music. Ordinary shit.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
As stated earlier Correlation =/= Causation.
Teens with depression may have much higher troubles going to sleep that early, simply because their thoughts get in the way.
I think it seems to be true. Although it only says if they're going to bed late and not getting enough sleep, whereas I go to bed pretty late but I also sleep in really late, so i'm still getting 9 hours..
I do not stay up late all the time maybe every other weekend to like 3-4 and on vacations but on the weeknights depending on my day i go to bed between 1930 and 2300 and i wake up at 5 usually and on weekends between 7-9...

This could be true, b/c my step brother practically didn't sleep from when he is 12 to when he is 19 now and as the years went by he really lost his self confidence in other things besides gaming, he drop out of school stayed up 2 days slept for a whole day and so on and so forth but idk.
Rofl?

Lol Cross. The Power of LOL Compels you!
Page 1 of 3