I'm not happy with the 'tone sucking', volume loss and harshness it produces.

Would a mod be in my favour? Such as the true bypass one?

Is it easy enough to do? I don't want to ruin my pedal by taking a chance if its difficult.

Cheers Moom.
Its easy if you know how to solder and follow a diagram.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Which Crybaby do you have?
There's a lot of them.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Another mod you should look into is replacing the stock inductor with a fasel. it's honestly the easiest mod that makes a huge difference. it reduces a lot of the harshness and makes your wah sound a lot sweeter.

Replacing the 33k resistor next to the input jack is another easy mod that makes a big difference. raising the value will give you a more pronounced, deep "woh" and less of a thin "wah". I reccomend trying a 68k. if it's not pronounced enough for you, use a higher value.

best of luck to you!

Also: that ultimate wah thread is very helpful. GB&C forum also has tons on information on wahs. there's also a group for wah modding. check them all out!
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
My baby is a GCB-95.

Thanks for the opinions you gave me, and Jhachey22, thanks for telling me some more options All very helpful.

Would it be an idea to get it Keeley modded? Or just do it myself?
Quote by moominman2
My baby is a GCB-95.

Thanks for the opinions you gave me, and Jhachey22, thanks for telling me some more options All very helpful.

Would it be an idea to get it Keeley modded? Or just do it myself?

The GCB wah circuit is very simple and easy to mod.

here are two sites i used as guides.
http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/mods/dunlop.htm
http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/WahMod.htm

they should explain most of the basic wah mods.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
I have an old GCB-95 wah lying around, I should probably mod mine too, it hasn't seen any real use in about 6 years...
Quote by al112987
I have an old GCB-95 wah lying around, I should probably mod mine too, it hasn't seen any real use in about 6 years...

Do it. Once you mod it you'll find that it's much more useful. Sometimes I just leave it on a la Schenker.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by moominman2
Thats cool man. I'm just gonna buy a cheap £10 solder iron set off ebay.

What else do I need? Wires? Resistor?

I need some help Thanks !

Don't skimp on the iron. trust me. get a decent iron that works well. cheaper irons will tarnish easily and not run as well after five or so uses
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
definitely get a decent iron...it'll make this a lot easier. what all mods are you wanting to do?

the stinkfoot site is the best...i did all those mods to my old crybaby...but i put in a switch to go between the yellow and red fasel inductors...then later swapped out the yellow for a halo.
Quote by eyebanez333
definitely get a decent iron...it'll make this a lot easier. what all mods are you wanting to do?

the stinkfoot site is the best...i did all those mods to my old crybaby...but i put in a switch to go between the yellow and red fasel inductors...then later swapped out the yellow for a halo.

How does the yellow inductor sound? i have a red one in my Wah atm, but when i first swapped out the inductor i was going to use a yellow one. apparently the yellow ones are smoother sounding. any truth to that, or do they sound pretty similar?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22
How does the yellow inductor sound? i have a red one in my Wah atm, but when i first swapped out the inductor i was going to use a yellow one. apparently the yellow ones are smoother sounding. any truth to that, or do they sound pretty similar?

yeah the yellow one smooths things out quite a bit on clean sounds, a lot more vintage sounding. It can still get pretty dirty. I like the attack and articulation of the red though. The halo was kinda meh IMO. Red is definitely more balanced, especially if you have a broad sweep.
Well i'm looking at the 'True bypass' mod, and the new resistor to make it smoother I believe. Any other ones to suggest?

I'v looked at the mod site, and 'seems' a bit complicated to me. Will I mess this up easilly?

I don't have much experience with electricals

cheers
It's not as hard as you might think. best thing to do is to do it step by step...one mod at a time. That way you can re-assemble the pedal, check to make sure it works, before moving onto the next mod. If you do all the mods at once...and it doesn't work...you have no idea which mod didn't work Just take it slow...and like I said, BUY A GOOD IRON! Clean soldering makes troubleshooting soooo much easier. If you have a crappy iron...its harder to find out which solder joints might be bad if there is a problem in your circuit. Also, if you haven't checked out the wah modding thread on UG...thats a good place for help and tips.

EDIT:
here's the link:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476372&highlight=wah+mod

Quote by Jhachey22
It seems like the red Fasel is generally preferred amongst most, I've heard the red vs. yellow in the CAE wah and the yellow definitely doesn't really do it for me. Dunlop advertises the yellow as being the more vintage sounding of the two, but honestly, the red one sounds closer to what I would generally think of if I was thinking Vox or Thomas Organ crybaby.

Just my $0.02.
I was going to try the resistor mod today in technology class, but I had some trouble finding a 66k resistor. The closest I got was a 68k resistor; would this work?
Quote by foob85
I was going to try the resistor mod today in technology class, but I had some trouble finding a 66k resistor. The closest I got was a 68k resistor; would this work?

yeah. just remember the rule of thumb : Higher value, deeper sound
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22
yeah. just remember the rule of thumb : Higher value, deeper sound

I was looking for the more vocal tone, a la Vox wahs. How would the 68k resistor affect the sound exactly? Like TS, I don't like the harshness and squealiness of the Cry Baby but I can't buy a new one :P
Quote by foob85
I was looking for the more vocal tone, a la Vox wahs. How would the 68k resistor affect the sound exactly? Like TS, I don't like the harshness and squealiness of the Cry Baby but I can't buy a new one :P

the vocal mod won't reduce the harshness as much as the Inductor mod. i reccomend a fasel inductor. from what i've heard, the yellow ones have more vintage-y quack and a more pronounced sweep and the red ones have a mellower sound that sounds nice with distortion.

you might also want to look into the "easy range mod" first. take the little plastic bit that holds the grooved bar to the potentiometer and adjust the pot to where you think sounds right. when you find your perfect sweep end, just put the bar back into place and screw the retainer in.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Alright, thanks. I think I might try the fasel inductor mod soon, but today all I have is the resistor.
Quote by WtrPlyr
I like the a 100k resistor in place of the 33k. I have wire a 100k pot to it but I actually always keep it cranked.

I never even thought about doing that.

TO RADIOSHACK!
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by modirnwarfare
Does having true bypass make a big difference? What does it do?

It takes the pedal out of the circuit when not in use. it makes your pedal completely neutral when it's off. it makes a big difference if you're only using the wah with maybe three or four effects, but if you're using a big pedalboard with tons of pedals, true bypass doesn't realy matter since a buffer would be a necessity at that point.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater