I've got a guitar with EMG 81 (b) and 85 (n) pickups and I'm interested in swaping them, so the 85 is at the bridge and 81 in the neck, but I'm not really sure how to go about it.

So, can give me some info, such as any tools I'll need and that sort of thing? Also, since I just got some new strings, can I get away without taking them off (just slackening them)? Finally, I take it you remove the mounting ring to change the pickups...

Sorry if this seems a little simple, but I've not tried this sort of thing before.
Obligatory gear list
Guitars
Ibanez SZ4020 w/BKP Miracle Man set
Cort X-11 w/EMG 85+81
Tanglewood TSB58 HB w/BKP Nailbomb & Cold Sweat
Epiphone SG Prophecy w/Seymour Duncan/Ibz
Basses
Indie Swamp 4
Ibanez BTB 775 PB
Amps
Engl Screamer 50
Why do you wanna do that? But you'll need a soldering iron, gloves(if its your first time and you don't wanna burn your hands), solder and time.
Quote by Dio10101
Why do you wanna do that? But you'll need a soldering iron, gloves(if its your first time and you don't wanna burn your hands), solder and time.

Curiosity mainly, I've heard some people think it sounds better that way, so I want to try it out. Although I thought EMGs have some kind of system where you don't need to solder, so long as its another EMG going in? Or maybe I misunderstood
Obligatory gear list
Guitars
Cort X-11 w/EMG 85+81
Basses
Indie Swamp 4
Ibanez BTB 775 PB
Amps
Engl Screamer 50
The easiest way to find out if you have the quik-connect is to open the cavity. If it's Quik-Connect, your pots will not be soldered. If they aren't, and just have a clip-on connection, then you're set. If not, then you can do some soldering, which isn't all that difficult.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by bv310
The easiest way to find out if you have the quik-connect is to open the cavity. If it's Quik-Connect, your pots will not be soldered. If they aren't, and just have a clip-on connection, then you're set. If not, then you can do some soldering, which isn't all that difficult.

Yeah, I decided just to look and it was the quick clip thing, so I swapped 'em round.

I think I like it better this way (I'll give it some time though), but I've noticed I'm getting more feedback on the B and G strings.

EDIT: Never mind 'bout the feedback, I think it's just a volume thing.
Obligatory gear list
Guitars
Cort X-11 w/EMG 85+81
Basses
Indie Swamp 4
Ibanez BTB 775 PB
Amps
Engl Screamer 50
Last edited by lyonk55 at Jan 2, 2010,
Quote by bv310

EMG has been using the Quik-Connect system on the back of the pickups for several years now and it has nothing to do with their new solderless install system. Up until 2009 the pickups had the Quik-Connect system on the back but the other end of the wires still had to soldered to the pots and/or switch. The Quik-Connect system allows players to swap between EMG pickups without any soldering. All active EMG's (even single coils) are interchangeable except the 81TW & 89 which use a bigger Quik-Connect and are only interchangeable with each other.

Starting in 2009 they added a similar system to the rest of the wiring. Making the installation of EMG's easier.

Check the active pickup thread in my sig for more info on active pickups.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
Check the active pickup thread in my sig for more info on active pickups.
This ^

Go here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1254306

/thread
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Jan 2, 2010,