Ok I'm currently using an Ibanez RG350M with the following pups :

# NeckPU: INF3
# MiddlePU: INFS3
# BridgePU: INF4

They're the stock pickups and to be honest they sound pretty crap.

I play alot of metal - 'tallica, y'know, that kinda stuff.
I believe my amp has got a good enough tone as other guitarists have been able to get a great tone out of it using good pickups.

As you can see there are 3 pickups, first of all, is there any way I can reduce this to just the neck and bridge? - as I NEVER seem to use the Single coil in the middle position.

Also, what reccomendations for new neck and bridge pickups?
I'm still a student, unemployed, but it's my birthday coming up pretty soon and I wanna go on a serious modding binge

My budget is around £120, for both neck and bridge.

Any advice also on how to remove the single coil pickup without affecting the 5-way selector and leaving a hole in my guitar?

Mannnnny thanks

Edit: I forgot to mention, these are passive pickups I'm looking for!
1. You can just remove the singlecoil from the wiring, then either use a three-way switch, or wire the 5-way to give neck, neck, neck+bridge, bridge, bridge,

2. Look at Irongear pickups. I use a Steamhammer in one guitar, and a Hammerhead in another - they're both awesome. Loads of people on the forums use Hotslags, and can vouch for those.

http://irongear.co.uk/

The Steamhammers are £27 delivered, I think. Also, these aren't budget, Korean pickups. They really are great.
Oh, lovely. Thanks for the link man! The only thing I'm worried about is having a hole in the pickguard though I guess I could try and find an RG pickguard but they all have holes for HSH!
I like your logic :P In sometimes get's in the way because I can be an aggressive picker at times, I guess if it's not in use I could just lower it way down!
Yeah, just the lower the middle pickup until it is flush with the pickguard/body, this is what I do. And who knows, you might just find a use for a mellow single-coil sound. As for the pickups, I'd go with DiMarzios. They're super popular for rock and metal and especially in Ibanez's.
Check out Lundgren pickups, if you're in the UK you should be able to order them, they're the ultimate metal pickups, very high-quality, botique stuff, not very cheap, but not overly expensive either.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Thanks a million for the links man, my dad is great at handy-work so I'm pretty sure he could make me up a new scratchplate!

I've heard good stuff about DiMarzio's.. any suggestions to what to put in the neck and bridge?
That middle pickup is a godsend if you ever want to play clean - have you honestly never used the splits in positions 3 and 4? Shimmery cleans and funky strat tones await you if you haven't.

£130 will get you a pair of Dimarzio Breeds from Thomann - the amp clips in my profile are a Breed-equipped guitar running through a Fallen Angel . Keep the middle single, it'll be fine stock for clean tones.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?xsid=7bbfc89fbcb65bdcf9476ce3ba25f43d&sw=breed+dimarzio&x=0&y=0
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jan 2, 2010,
There are a lot of popular ones... Super Distortion, Evolutions, Tone Zone, PAF Pro, Air Norton...

Super Distortion is good for all around rock, really. Evolutions are really good if you're into Steve Vai and Joe Satriani. Tone Zones are darker. PAF Pro's and Air Norton's are good neck pickups. Personally, I have an Evo 2 and PAF Joe in my Ibanez and a D Sonic and Pro Track in my PRS.
Quote by The^Unforgiven
Check out Lundgren pickups, if you're in the UK you should be able to order them, they're the ultimate metal pickups, very high-quality, botique stuff, not very cheap, but not overly expensive either.

Only £141 per pickup.
If you decide to dewire the middle pickup, it may be a good idea to coil tap the neck and bridge so that you can use them as single coils as well as humbuckers.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
If you decide to dewire the middle pickup, it may be a good idea to coil tap the neck and bridge so that you can use them as single coils as well as humbuckers.

I'm a bit of a n00b with these terms, can you explain this a bit more for me?
Another option is DiMarzio D-Activators. Find an Ibanez Xiphos (not the bolt-on neck version) in a music store to see what they sound like. It's as close to the active sound that I've heard without the negatives that come with actives.

Also, you can get a custom guard cut out for you without a hole for that middle pup.

Plastic: http://pickguards.us/ or http://www.auroraproject.co.uk/

Diamond plate or other metals: http://www.sharp-concepts.com/store.htm (these guys modded Offspring's Ibanez into diamond plate guitars--one black, one polished); they did an HH for my Squier for $60.
Quote by hetfieldaaaah
I'm a bit of a n00b with these terms, can you explain this a bit more for me?

He means coilt split....but that's how it's wired anyway so you don't actually need to do anything different.

The humbuckers split in positions 3 and 4 so you get one coil of either neck or bridge mixed with the middle single - makes for great funky stratocaster tones.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I just lowered the single coil in the middle down really low, and surprisingly it still sounds ok, just the volume is a tad lower than the other positions! So I might keep the single there, it'd save getting a new pickguard! And also I can downpick pretty damn fast now and it isn't getting in the way anymore
I would recomend the Seymourduncan SH-6 I have them installed and they are awesome
Sweep !
Quote by IbanezRGR321
I would recomend the Seymourduncan SH-6 I have them installed and they are awesome

Are they any good for metal and stuff like that?
get irongears. they're cheap and they sound really good.

neck - rolling mill
bridge - steamhammer or hot slag

if ur wondering why irongears are so cheap, its because u r paying for the tone only and not the brand name. other brands like dimarzio, seymour duncans etc, u r paying for tone and the brand name.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt