Hey Guys!

Happy New Year!

I have a Traynor YCS-50 Combo. I changed the 6L6's to EL-34's. Now it will only bias to around 27.8 with the bias pot pegged. I need 36-40. Is this a resistor problem that I/Traynor can resolve by replacing a resistor? Has anyone else had problems biasing a Combo with EL-34's? Thanks!

Chris
I'm not sure if anyone here will know the answer to that. You can try posting in the Only Traynor thread but I'd contact Traynor directly. Also, I think you'll find that you won't need to go as high as you think on the mAmps.

I see you posted in the Traynor thread already. Also, did you play the amp for a while and then check reading again or was that the reading strait away? Were the EL34's sent out as a matched set and if so what?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 2, 2010,
Thanks. I'll contact Traynor and see what they say. It doesn't sound bad at 27!!!!!
^see my edit.

If it sounds good that is all that really matters. You can figure about a 5 mA variance with EL34s on a marshall stack so you may not be as far off as you think. Plus if you bias too hot you may like the tone anyway.

PS: I'm not an amp tech.
My tubes are matched with the same number. I checked the bias and plate V with a bias probe and according to the voltage my bias at 70% would be 36 so 27 is a little cold. I'm like everyone else; if 27 sounds good, I'd like to know if 36-38 sounds better!!! LOL Thanks for all of the suggestions and help. Damn, this is fun!!!!

Chris
I don't own a Traynor but my amp just happens to be biased at 27 too, with 2 EL34s. At first I thought that would be too cold - thinking I needed to be in the 32-36 range but then got reassurances from some technical people that I trust that I should be fine. As long as you are not getting crossover distortion and it sounds good then you're cool and your power tubes may last a bit longer as well.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I don't own a Traynor but my amp just happens to be biased at 27 too, with 2 EL34s. At first I thought that would be too cold - thinking I needed to be in the 32-36 range but then got reassurances from some technical people that I trust that I should be fine. As long as you are not getting crossover distortion and it sounds good then you're cool and your power tubes may last a bit longer as well.

What is your plate voltage??? That makes a difference on how hot they are biased. If you do the calcs the bias varies by plate voltage.

Chris
I was told by Traynor to change a resistor to increase the bias adjustment range.