I had several days off for vacation so after playing acoustic guitar for about 5 months I figured my time off would be good to see what this electric guitar thing was all about. I threw down about a grand on a decent guitar and amp. And WOW! I can't tell you how incredible it is to play some of the rock stuff I've been listening to for 30+ years. I also came to realize why everyone told me to start off with an acoustic guitar.

Now, after a few days, I see my fender acoustic sitting in the corner and I feel bad for the little fella. I've picked it up briefly on a few occasions and strummed a few chords and now it feels like I'm strumming a rock with some cables attached. I was by no means a virtuoso with the acoustic, but I was OK.

My question is...will playing my new electric in anyway improve my ability to play my acoustic? I love the pure sound of my acoustic, but it seems like such a step back now to play it as far as barre chords and soloing etc... For example, if I get more proficient with my electric after a couple of months will anything have improve with my acoustic playing (without continually picking it up and practicing). I really like my acoustic and don't want to abandon it, but I REALLY like my new electric.

Thanks
I can play both very well, and if anyhting it's improved my ability.

You learn different techniques and little tricks, that carry on to its brother but in a different way. Its hard to explain, but in short, it wont 'downgrade' your ability to play, if anything it will improve your musical horizon, you'll have the sounds of both worlds at your disposal And i see nothing wrong in that, i love being able to play say Muse - Stockholm Syndrome, then suddenly switching to Isaac Albeniz (i think thats how its spelt) or any other form of spanish guitar.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
I wanted a guitar that I wasn't going to want to upgrade right away, but realizing I was still a novice ended up with a nice Standard Strat for $500.00 (classic white). My amp is a Peavy VYPYR 75. The amp was a lot more power than I wanted or needed, but again...I shouldn't have to upgrade for a while and it really pisses off the neighbors which is a nice perk.
Nah..

It's just two different instruments with different styles of playing.

Really acoustic and electric are interchangeable. Meaning you can play the same thing on both, but of course they sound different. The only thing that I can really see being different is the amount of finger strength you need to play each instrument.
Quote by koikomoru
Nah..

It's just two different instruments with different styles of playing.

Really acoustic and electric are interchangeable. Meaning you can play the same thing on both, but of course they sound different. The only thing that I can really see being different is the amount of finger strength you need to play each instrument.

Not necessarily. They are mostly interchangeable, but it can take a long time to get used to one if you only play the other. For instance, take a look at Jack Black. For School of Rock, he spent about 3 weeks just getting used to how an electric feels. He had only played acoustic before. And if you only played electric, there's no guarantee that you will be able to play the same thing on an acoustic. There might not be enough frets, if you use a lot of legato on an electric you will have to pick more on an acoustic, and as you stated finger strength can be an issue.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
Not necessarily. They are mostly interchangeable, but it can take a long time to get used to one if you only play the other. For instance, take a look at Jack Black. For School of Rock, he spent about 3 weeks just getting used to how an electric feels. He had only played acoustic before. And if you only played electric, there's no guarantee that you will be able to play the same thing on an acoustic. There might not be enough frets, if you use a lot of legato on an electric you will have to pick more on an acoustic, and as you stated finger strength can be an issue.

Yea well....

Uhh....

hmm....

pwnd.

Guess i forgot to mention that. Well done sir.
Quote by koikomoru
Yea well....

Uhh....

hmm....

pwnd.

Guess i forgot to mention that. Well done sir.

Well you were right to some degree. No worries.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.