First of all, I don't know much on guitars at all as I've just started learning so forgive me if there's a name for this problem xD

Anyways, whenever I try to bend with the whammy, it goes fine untill a certain point where the higher strings hit the higher frets (the frets closest to the pickups, incase I worded it wrong..)

I done some reading but can't really find anything on the subject, the closest thing I can find is truss rod adjustment, could that be the problem here?

Thanks for any help
Guitar: Ibanez RG320PG
Amp: Marshall MG10 (Practice amp)
uh that usually happens...when using a whammy/tremolo/vibrato/whateveryouwannacallit you are releasing the tension of the strings and you are lowering the height of them too. it's just what happens
Quote by hollitrumpet12
uh that usually happens...when using a whammy/tremolo/vibrato/whateveryouwannacallit you are releasing the tension of the strings and you are lowering the height of them too. it's just what happens

This or maybe your action is just too low.
It's an Edge Tremolo, it's fine when diving. Just when bending higher the strings seem to hit the frets and ruin the note that was played..
When you pull up? Yeah, that's about normal. If it's really bothering you, you can raise the action for the high strings a bit.
I'll read up on doing so, not sure about messing with the truss rod xD

Thanks for the help guys
Quote by VectorWolf
I'll read up on doing so, not sure about messing with the truss rod xD

Thanks for the help guys

What you're describing is not a problem with the trem, it is due to the design of the trem. The Strings are anchored behind the pivot, thus pulling back on the trem lowers the height of the anchor points and thus the strings and they will eventually fret out.
Raising the action does not involve the truss rod, none of the advice given here suggest for you to touch it. Raising the action is done at the bridge, how high is your action just now?
Thanks for that, it's 2mm on the low E string and 1mm on the high E string. I remember reading somewhere that the measurements are taken from the 12th fret, is this correct?
That's a pretty low action, if your not getting buzzing on fretted notes without using the bar then you have a pretty fine neck on your guitar. Make sure when you bend notes with your fingers, that they don't choke out (check this on the higher frets 12-22/24)
There's some pretty good sites out there with setup instructions for all types of bridge, I'd advise you to look at some of them. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links, but just have a search on google. I've been playing for over 25 years now, and I still learn new useful stuff from them.
remember to loosen (is that a word) your strings before adjusting the post height of your trem, or you may blunt the knife edges - if it is a floyd rose type trem (or any with knife edges)

edit: Since your action is pretty low, I think you can be reasonably sure that your truss rod is set-up pretty well.

also, how much of a raise in pitch are you getting on say the high e at the 12th fret, before pulling up the trem causes the note to choke? I get between 2 and 3 semitones on my guitar, which has a comparable action to yours.
Last edited by Old Nick at Jan 2, 2010,