Hey all,

I have finally after weeks of deciding, tone researching and deal hunting found a JCM800 for £600.

As I have stated in my other posts I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 40w which I can safely manage at bedroom levels without attenuators but with just a simple volume box, I can jack in my overdrive or fuzz and still relatively keep it at bedroom levels. My version of bedroom levels is pretty versatile, My neighbours are hardly in and even when they are its not much trouble. I can also get a good tone out of my Fender HRD in my bedroom the full fender sound out of it. I do not play at volumes where It hurts my ears.

Anyways the reason I mention that is to give some idea that I can manage reasonable a 40w amp.

I have really set myself to buy a JCM800, to just go ahead and buy the real deal tone instead of "can be's or close enough's". I found a 50w head.

I know for a fact even at 50w its still a gigging amp, so I am asking the wel knowledgable folk at this forum if theres any hope of me playing this beast in my bedroom with or without any help? Attenuators? 1x12 cabs, 2x12 cabs? I dont want to do anything to damage the amp or shorten its span.

Im pretty hyped to get it, but honestly if its gonna blow my ears out then I dont also want to waste the money as I prob wont be gigging for a LONG time (LONG).

Cheers!
Your JCM 800 will come with a master volume control. Use it judiciously and you should have no problems. Failure to do so will result in angry neighbors and frequent visits from the police.
well of course it is not an amp for bedroom but lots of people use it as practice amp and they all put the volume at 1, but i think thats on 100 watts head, in your case you will be able to use it at 3 perhaps. the thing is that you will never find the great soud at that volumes. buy it, is my dream amp, here in argentina it costs 1500 dollars the 50 watts head, and 1 dollar is 3,85 pesos, so i will never get it ajaja
I play my JCM900 4102 at "bedroom levels" all the time, I just have to turn the treble up higher than normal and have the master volume set to about 0.5. It may not sound as good as when it's on 6 but it's fine for practicing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you keep the Master at ~1 it will be roughly bedroom level, but it will sound trebly and brittle.

If you run it with an attenuator like I do, at heavy attenuation you'll notice more of a squashed sound - partially because of the attenuator and partially because the speakers aren't being driven very hard. I still crank mine up to about 5 on the Master (7 with a small amount of attenuation) but I have thick walls and neighbours who don't complain.

It's a great amp for gigs and practice and I'd definitely snap it up, but don't expect it to give you amazing tone at quiet volumes. If you're really interested in that sort of thing, the PodXT Live or PodX3 have great Plexi and 800 models on it and can be used with headphones.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
personally i dont see the point in buying a 50w tube amp if you won't be gigging with it for a really long time. i would suggest a smaller amp.
Quote by JayLacelle
personally i dont see the point in buying a 50w tube amp if you won't be gigging with it for a really long time. i would suggest a smaller amp.

That's loser talk.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
That's loser talk.

Agreed.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Cathbard
That's loser talk.

well all I'm saying is that it's a lot of wasted money on volume he won't be using.

head + cab + attenuator = lots of $$$

smaller marshall combo (20 - 30 watts, still a gigging amp) = a lot less $$$
Buying a little amp and a bigger amp later costs more than just buying the bigger amp. Plus if he gets good faster than he expected he's ready to roll with no further expenditure.

Aim for the stars!!
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by JayLacelle

May as well get it while it's about and then if he wants to he can gig.

Also, there's no point in buying a Haze or anything for what he wants Marshall don't really do small & affordable.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Last edited by SimplyBen at Jan 2, 2010,
You're not going to be able to crank a tube amp of ANY wattage (excepting maybe 1 and below) within your bedroom... why do you think the Vox AC4s have a built-in VVR?

That, and a 20 - 30 watt amp will not have the same amount of headroom as a 50 watter and above. They'll sound different as well, having different power tubes (EL84s or 6V6es as opposed to EL34s or 6L6es) and smaller transformers.

I dunno which small Marshall combo you're talking about but you're not going to get a 1974X or a Studio 15 for less than a JCM 800.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
^ I crank mine in my bedroom.

I play mine in my tiny little apartment all the time with nothing but the master being used. No it isn't the true tone but its fine. To me its worth it just for those few times when I do get to crank it.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
fretz is absolutely right.
If I put my JCM 800 on 3 it can be heard in houses across the street. Good way to piss people off. It still sounds great on 1, but you would get the most of it with an attenuator.

Quote by SimplyBen
Attenuator.
You'll be absolutely fine with an Attenuator.

+1

It's the only way to go. You're wasting a perfectly good amp if you can't turn it up. These things HAVE to be cranked. An attenuator will let you this. I've heard of some crappy ones though. Weber are the only people I haven't heard negative things about tbh. Without an attenuator or a place you can really turn this thing up, you're just like one of those guys who has an amazing car parked up in a garage but never takes it out for a proper drive. Sure it looks nice, and it's cool to just have one, but what's the point, really?
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
Quote by Cathbard
Buying a little amp and a bigger amp later costs more than just buying the bigger amp. Plus if he gets good faster than he expected he's ready to roll with no further expenditure.

Aim for the stars!!

and who is saying you need to buy a bigger amp later?

to be clear: you don't need a 50 watt tube head and a 4x12 cab to gig. plenty of musicians do fine with a small 15 watt combo because the fact is the amp will be miced up most of the time where the venue is bigger than a small bar.

why buy an amp made for the touring musician if you are going to be playing in your bedroom 99.99% of the time?
Ok guys just a little update, I bought the JCM 800! I figure I'll use the speark from my Fender HRD combo until i get a cab, which brings me to my next question!

Whats a good "cheap" cab for this amp. I mean I would eventually get a good cab in the future, but for now, any idea's?

Also, how much of a difference is there between 1x12 cabs and 2x12 cabs? Very noticable? Obviously im trying to keep the tone as smooth and awesome as possible, but with smaller setup/room.

Lastly how much of of a mistake would it be to buy those 1x12 cabs for the new Marshal Haze? Marshall Haze MHZ112A 66 Watt Angled 112 Cab:

Would it damage the jcm800 or would the speakers be pushed past its limits? Im not too familiar with the head and cab stuff!

Thanks.
Its what you want right? Get it. Simple.

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
Quote by Azaril000
Ok guys just a little update, I bought the JCM 800! I figure I'll use the speark from my Fender HRD combo until i get a cab, which brings me to my next question!

Whats a good "cheap" cab for this amp. I mean I would eventually get a good cab in the future, but for now, any idea's?

Also, how much of a difference is there between 1x12 cabs and 2x12 cabs? Very noticable? Obviously im trying to keep the tone as smooth and awesome as possible, but with smaller setup/room.

Lastly how much of of a mistake would it be to buy those 1x12 cabs for the new Marshal Haze? Marshall Haze MHZ112A 66 Watt Angled 112 Cab:

Would it damage the jcm800 or would the speakers be pushed past its limits? Im not too familiar with the head and cab stuff!

Thanks.

hey im looking for an amp too, whats it sound like with volume on 1? Better than most solid states? Im thinking of getting one so that I can have one when I start to play in a band but also to pratice on with low volume or maybe a pedal.
On my 50w JCM 800 2205, I keep the preamp vol. and gain turned up to 10, and as long as I have the master volume around the first little line before the "1", it's at manageable volume levels that are fine for bedroom playing. It still sounds good, it just doesn't have the "oomph" you get when you turn it up. An attenuator might solve that, but honestly I don't think it's a big enough deal to make the investment.

Anyway, if you ask me, I'd skip on the attenuator. I would get one for a non-MV amp like a SLP or an old Fender Twin or something like that, but like I said, I love the way my amp sounds no matter what volume level it's on, I'm sure you will too.
Last edited by CaptDin at Jan 4, 2010,
^ I still need to clip mine so that I can get cleaner Plexi tones dialing down the Pre with the Master maxed through the Low input.

It sounds awesome right now but lowering the Pre even to 5 increases the treble response by so damned much with the bright cap intact.

Quote by Azaril000

Thanks.

Is it the size that makes you want a 1x12 or 2x12, or do you think it's going to make it quieter? Because it won't, it would just shrink the sound projection. If size isn't an issue, I'd go for a used JCM 800 1960A. Those old Marshalls with the Celestion G1275s in them sound awesome. Also, and this is just a shamelessly shallow reason, they look badass.

But if you HAVE to go small, I'd probably look into an old used Marshall 1936 (I've heard bad things about the newer ones), or maybe an Avatar 2x12.