Im a guitarist who always wanted to play bass but cant afford a lefty.

I use heavy strings (14-62) and i can pop all six strings but i cant slap.

Any ideas/helpful tips?
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]THIS JUST IN: cramming batterys into orifices of your guitar will NOT make sustain any longer. This is considered instrument rape and is still illegal in 49 out of 50 states.

zoom 505 of the 90's was the best (after that they went down)
Last edited by Endoftheworldto at Jan 2, 2010,
You want to keep your thumb parallel to the strings and your hand an inch, maybe a little less above the strings. You want to hit the strings with the joint in the middle of your thumb. To hit the string flick your wrist, don't move your whole hand up and down. Hope this clears it up, if not there are loads of videos on youtube that might help you out.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
The one issue is i have big fingers (and thumb) and the strings spacing is very small and i always hit two or three strings at a time.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]THIS JUST IN: cramming batterys into orifices of your guitar will NOT make sustain any longer. This is considered instrument rape and is still illegal in 49 out of 50 states.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494268

Is a good read on the subject. So...you are slapping on a guitar? It can be done but due to the spacing its going to take a bit of concerted effort and practice.
Quote by Endoftheworldto
The one issue is i have big fingers (and thumb) and the strings spacing is very small and i always hit two or three strings at a time.

Are you hitting the other strings with your palm or thumb? If it's your palm then move your hand farther away from the bass, not to far though. If it's your thumb then it will just take practice to work on it. Slapping is something that take practice to be able to do. It doesn't come naturally to most people. Good luck.

P.S. Why are you learning slap on a guitar?
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

Last edited by TrabenBassist22 at Jan 2, 2010,
I learned to slap on an Ibanez Sr and didn't realise it was suposedly harder because of the tighter string spacing than normal.
Moral of the story: it doesn't matter if it is the 'normal thing' or anything, if it works and you like the sound then practice is what it takes. This works for almost anything to do with music.
And learning on a guitar will make you amazingly accurate if and when you try a bass.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by TrabenBassist22
P.S. Why are you learning slap on a guitar?

1. sounds kickarse (of course not as good as on a bass)
2. if i can learn on a guitar by the time i get a bass it might be easier due to the larger string spacing.
3. Completely in love with basses

The thing about slapping on a guitar is it's gonna be much harder to get a good sound out because the mass of the string is much lower. You won't get the "slap" sound when you try with a guitar string.

However, the technique is basically the same, so keep trying, I'm sure you'll get it sounding good with practice.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
^ I like you

EDIT: dammit 2 up
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Quote by gilly_90
^ I like you

EDIT: dammit 2 up

Why thank you.

Seriously, the world needs more people who don't think 'Oh no, there's something tiny in my way! I can't think enough for myself enough to overcome it!' or something along those lines.
1 You want to learn slap
2 you don't have a bass
3 you do have a guitar
4 you learn on a guitar and decide you like the sound
5 you get heckled for doing something different
6 ownage of hecklers
7????
8 Profit

seriously, though the world needs more people like that.

And it is 4:34am and I am sleep deprived lol
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

I wasn't really heckling him, if you're talking about me. I was just wondering why he was learning on guitar, I wasn't sure if he was trying to come up with a new sound or something for his band.

^ fair enough then, I take that back.

my point still stands
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

I agree that if you wanna slap on a bass, you probably should get a bass. That being said slapping on a guitar can sound really freaking awesome. I like to tune down a full step on my acoustic and just slap away. I know that Kaki King, great guitar player if you've never heard her, does this or something like it on some songs. I just can't remember which ones. Remember. Guitar is a PERCUSSION instrument! Same with elec. bass.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Quote by JF-SH1
I agree that if you wanna slap on a bass, you probably should get a bass. That being said slapping on a guitar can sound really freaking awesome. I like to tune down a full step on my acoustic and just slap away. I know that Kaki King, great guitar player if you've never heard her, does this or something like it on some songs. I just can't remember which ones. Remember. Guitar is a PERCUSSION instrument! Same with elec. bass.

People keep saying this I don't know where this came from.
Surely it isn't.
I mean anything within reason can be used as a percussion instrument, but surely a guitar is a stringed instrument.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by gilly_90
People keep saying this I don't know where this came from.
Surely it isn't.
I mean anything within reason can be used as a percussion instrument, but surely a guitar is a stringed instrument.

Yeah, and bass too. But with bass, slap and pop makes it a more percussive instrument, but I would never call guitar a percussion instrument.
Quote by JF-SH1

They're actually stringed instruments. That's like how a piano is percussive but it also a stringed at the same time.

Calling guitar a percussion instrument is quite off though. It's a stringed instrument that can be used to make percussive sounds but isn't required to be percussive.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I've been told by many people, guitar teacher, school teacher, other musicians in general. But whatever. Mass majority is often times wrong. It's just what i've been told for most of my musical "career". It makes sense to me though, in most conventional settings the guitar is struck in order to make sounds. Which gives it a defining tone. Oh well. I doubt i'll ever be in a setting where the question "Is a guitar percussion or string instrument" going to affect the entire course of my life.

It's my understanding though that "conventionally" string instruments are classified as such because they are played with a bow. But then they should be called "Bowed instruments?" Eh. I care but not enough to give myself a headache.

I concede defeat. Ha ha ha.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Quote by JF-SH1
I've been told by many people, guitar teacher, school teacher, other musicians in general. But whatever. Mass majority is often times wrong. It's just what i've been told for most of my musical "career". It makes sense to me though, in most conventional settings the guitar is struck in order to make sounds. Which gives it a defining tone. Oh well. I doubt i'll ever be in a setting where the question "Is a guitar percussion or string instrument" going to affect the entire course of my life.

It's my understanding though that "conventionally" string instruments are classified as such because they are played with a bow. But then they should be called "Bowed instruments?" Eh. I care but not enough to give myself a headache.

I concede defeat. Ha ha ha.

Violins and their family can be played pizzicato (plucking the strings) and harps, banjos, mandolins, and other stringed instruments don't use bows. A guitar is technically plucked with a plectrum or the fingers, as is bass, ukulele and other guitar-like instruments.

EDIT: It is the same argument as with piano. Strings are struck with small hammers when a certain key is pushed, making it a little of both.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Jan 2, 2010,
It takes some crazy practice and concentration. I can slap my friends guitar.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
The only thing I can tell you is "Action Man Hand" This is the same for popping after the slap.

If you have ever seen an Action Mans Hand his four fingers and curled over after the first phalanges, your finger tips should just be millimeters from touching your knuckles (on the inside of the hand), your string goes in there (where you pop from). The slapping is all from the thumb, obviously.

Your thumb has to be just under 90 degrees to your hand and quite sturdy. After a while you will tend to relax, this is good.

here is an image: