I am looking at upgrading my guitar cab with a custom cab made by Avatar guitar cabs. When ordering they allow you to choose between 4 ohms 8 ohms and 16 ohms. When choosing they tell you to choose the output suggested on the back of your amp. Im running out of a Peavey Valveking 100 Watt head that has a switch on the back allowing you to choose 4 ohms 8 ohms or 16 ohms. Which ohmage would be best for the cab im looking at?
My minds not a well; it wont run dry.
Quote by i.do.not.exist
I am looking at upgrading my guitar cab with a custom cab made by Avatar guitar cabs. When ordering they allow you to choose between 4 ohms 8 ohms and 16 ohms. When choosing they tell you to choose the output suggested on the back of your amp. Im running out of a Peavey Valveking 100 Watt head that has a switch on the back allowing you to choose 4 ohms 8 ohms or 16 ohms. Which ohmage would be best for the cab im looking at?

depends on what cab.

Normally 4x12 cabs it's 16 ohms.

Anything else, if you can get away with 8 ohms, it's the best, since it's in abundance.
I am looking at a 4X12. Sorry, i should have included that.
My minds not a well; it wont run dry.
When they're talking about ohms...they're talking about the overall ohm load of the cab...not of what each individual speaker is. I'd go for 8 or 16...that way if you change heads...you have a better chance of the cabinet matching impedance on the other head. Not very many heads are 4 ohm.

*this is if you only plan to run one cabinet...if you plan on daisy chaining to cabs together thats a different story.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jan 2, 2010,
Doesn't matter a lot. I'd say the 4 is just parallelled 16 ohm drivers, 8 and 16 would be series/parallel (with 8 and 16 ohm drivers respectively). A lot of people swear series/parallel is better - I'm not convinced. I'd probably grab the 16 ohm version.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification