Yesterday, I found a post on craigslist selling a Marshall JCM2000 for $700 CDN.
I instantly thought of this to be too good to be true, but sent the guy an email out of curiosity. He replied this morning, telling me it had some cosmetic damage, such as tears in the outer material (that he repaired) and that the "double L's" were beginning to lift off. He said from a technical aspect, it preforms perfectly. Is this deal too good to be true, or should I go try it out today?
How about a high five?

My Gear
Ibanez RG320
Schecter Demon 7
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III 30
Bugera 6262/Peavey 412 cabinet
How would I be able to tell that the amp wouldn't crap out on me?
Is there a way to tell the condition of the amp aside from the cosmetic apperance?
How about a high five?

My Gear
Ibanez RG320
Schecter Demon 7
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III 30
Bugera 6262/Peavey 412 cabinet
Quote by VileGangrene
How would I be able to tell that the amp wouldn't crap out on me?
Is there a way to tell the condition of the amp aside from the cosmetic apperance?

A JCM2000 is a great sounding pro quality amp. All tube amps eventually need tubes and minor maintenance but if it sounds ok and all the knobs and buttons work I would expect it to be ok.
when you try it out, turn all the knobs and listen for crackling noise- pots starting to go bad can be indicative of an amp that may be on its way out. Cosmetic damage can be a godsend when you're trying to find a deal.
thats a decent deal but not a steal, my friend got his for around 600 and it looks practically new
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
I see JCM2000 combos and heads going for cheap all the time. Marshalls aren't that pricey second hand.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
I see JCM2000 combos and heads going for cheap all the time. Marshalls aren't that pricey second hand.

I saw a JCM900 head for $700 at GC. "The salesman" said it was because people are just dumping all the gear they don't need to help pay bills in this economy and everything.
Nope, i see them for $750 all the time.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
go and try it out
but bring you credit card
and or 700 cash
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Quote by mattocaster99
when you try it out, turn all the knobs and listen for crackling noise- pots starting to go bad can be indicative of an amp that may be on its way out. Cosmetic damage can be a godsend when you're trying to find a deal.

I wouldn't say a bad pot is indicative of an amp dying

A dials potentiometer can be replaced. Personally, I'm not thrilled with the pots Marshall is using today. These threads are kind of pointless because you (TS) haven't played the amp yet and we can't see pictures of the condition etc.

Budget?
Genres?
Current Gear?
Home or Gig or what?