I've been playing for almost two and a half years. I can do power chords, chords and improvise random things but i can't do scales. I feel like i have maxed out on what i can do without learning scales. I'm all self taught and i play finger style like Jeff Beck, Derek Trucks. Anyways what are some good scales to learn? If it helps im a blues person influenced by Robert Johnson to Buddy Guy to Jimmy Page, to Duane Allman, to new people like Derek Trucks, Joe Bonamassa, so on and so fourth.
When people reply to his question, can someone reply to mine ?
Why do you need to learn scales anyway ? Just play the songs you like and you'll learn tons of things on the way. No ?
The first scale I ever learned was the A Minor Pentatonic scale. I then went on to learn the Major scale and the Be-Bop scale. They're the only ones I really ever learned
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
Minor pentatonic scale. Also, the blues scale. It's essentially the minor pentatonic but with an extra note. They're simple.
He's no good to me dead-Boba Fett
Quote by DocArunas
Why do you need to learn scales anyway ? Just play the songs you like and you'll learn tons of things on the way. No ?

Scales make writing songs that are theoretically correct easier. You can learn what key a backing track is in and use a scale to improvise over it, ect. ect.

Do you need to know scales? No.

Should you? Thats really up to you
Quote by DocArunas

Some say that theory takes away from the "soul" or feel of a song, but that's really not true. Knowing the theory behind a song is kind of like being able to see where you're going.
He's no good to me dead-Boba Fett
When songwriting or improvising over a backing track you dont have to stick to the scale. You can wonder away from the scale a bit. The scale is basically like a safehouse, when you start wandering too far and things are sounding a bit off you can always go back to the scale. Make sense?
awh man, the way I look at it is just learn as much as you can about as many things you can grasp. Scales, chords, construction of chords, arpeggio, and just practice techniques. I mean I’ve been playing for a year now on my squire fat strat and I try and find anything about scales I can and understanding some scales such as the major, minor, blues, and pentatonic scales. Committing these too memory is my goal at the moment lol. and just looking at these scales and knowing about how their formed you can see the relation between them and tabs to a song. it’s like scales can be used as an easy template to creating a melody. all I can say is it’s good to have this knowledge. and learn some more techniques bro. I mean here:
just watching this a few times and practicing EVERY DAY for at least an hour, I learned and was able to apply sweeping in a month and a half.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbx03mP5eg

and just play scales, over and over and soon a creative spark will click and you will make something your own. its good not to be ignorant to something if you have the ability to learn it. and you can. so dont even ask if you should learn scales, you should! haha. and there is a good amount of "5 star" lessons on this site explaining scales and giving practice scales to you. so just look em up!