Hello, I am looking to start learning guitar. I have about $1000 dollars that I would be interested in investing in a guitar and amp. I want a guitar that is good for beginners, but that will also sound good on an advanced level. I do not want to spend money for another guitar 3 or 4 years down the road basically. I really want a great sounding guitar, maybe one that's good for both jazz and rock. please help with any suggestions.
ibanez would probably be a good choice guitar wise
Quote by The_Rooster
Dude its a guitar, not an nuclear weapon...... unless your Chuck Norris.

Quote by RapeStove
That's what she said.

Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Peavy 25w
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss BF-3
what kind of music do you like?
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]THIS JUST IN: cramming batterys into orifices of your guitar will NOT make sustain any longer. This is considered instrument rape and is still illegal in 49 out of 50 states.

zoom 505 of the 90's was the best (after that they went down)
For one, guitars wear out, keep that in mind, so depending on what guitar you get and how you treat it you may have to get another one down the road. I would go around to any local music shops and see what they have, maybe guitar some of your friends that might play guitar to come with yuou to help you find one.

For two, there are a lot of good brands out there for different purposes. If you're going to shred and play fast crap and metal, then go with an Ibanez. For hard rock and metal, Schecter, Dean, and Jackson are tight. Classic rock and some hard rock stuff can be Fender and Paul Reed Smith (PRS). Gibsons are good for just all around rock and stuff, and Fenders, Gibsons, Gretschs, and a lot of hollow-bodied guitars are good for blues. But its really up to how you feel with your instrument. That's where the stuff is.

/wall of text.

EDIT:
And the amp. Get an all in one amp and you'll be set. Good all in one amps are like Line 6 and stuff. For a little bit of a less gain-ful amp try a Marshall MG. I don't know much about half-stacks and full-stacks; I generally play combos. If you're not going to be playing live for a while then just go with a practice amp of 10-30 watts.

And please get a metronome.

If you're going to be self-taught, then get a book that details how to start out on guitar. For a good intro to lead guitar stuff, try some of the books by Troy Stetina, such as the Heavy Metal Lead Guitar Primer. Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar is also a great book, but it's fairly intense.

If you want to read music, then try out some of the books like FastTrack.

EDIT 2:
+10,000,000,000 to the GAS comment. GAS is gear acquistion syndrome to anyone who didn't know.
Quote by Skullbolt
banned cause yeah:

It's between you, user_nameless, me, and my split personality
I like kittens
SHUT UP NO ONE ASKED YOU!

Proud member of the UG Shred Mafia. P.M. godofshred to join.

"Do you practice UG Blackism? W e do."

PAROXYSM.
Last edited by user_nameless at Jan 2, 2010,
Quote by andyycho
Im not really good with amps, so ill leave that to other UG members.

i 2nd that. not so good with amps so ill name essential pedals/effects/equipment you would need

1. a tuner
2. an equalizer
3. compressor (not so needed. more of a preference really)
4. a capo
5. extra strings ( your bound to need some.)
6. a how to book

7. (anything else other ug'ers can add)
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]THIS JUST IN: cramming batterys into orifices of your guitar will NOT make sustain any longer. This is considered instrument rape and is still illegal in 49 out of 50 states.

What kinds of music do you play? And in your mind your telling yourself that you don't want to buy another guitar for a while, but once that GAS kicks in, your done for.
Quote by Ghold125
What kinds of music do you play? And in your mind your telling yourself that you don't want to buy another guitar for a while, but once that GAS kicks in, your done for.

Ahh the GAS. Just wait. You'll wander to a guitar shop looking for new strings...

then you'll get that sparkle in your eye.....

and you'll know you have....

the GAS!!

I'd say go for an Agile guitar, a nice Fender tube amp, and an OD pedal of some sort. Fender tube amps provide some of the most pristine clean sounds I've ever heard, great for jazz. And they pair up really well with OD pedals without losing any dynamics, which is good for rock. Maybe a wah pedal if you want to get into some 60s psychedelic stuff.
for guitar get this if u can'
http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-MH-1000-Electric-Guitar-With-Seymour-Duncan-Pickups-423297-i1502029.gc

if u cant, a Schecter C1+, Fender Mexican Standard HSS Strat, Godin Freeway Classic are good too.

for amp check out a Vox VT15 or a Roland Cube 30x. Get a modelling amp so u can experiment with lots of different sounds.

I suggest u dont spend all that $1000 cuz ur just starting out and u never know when u might quit.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Last edited by holycow at Jan 2, 2010,
I enjoy mostly rock. I don't want to do anything to heavy metal, it's just not my style of music. I am am big on Queen, Nirvana, and Zeppelin. I really wanting a good guitar. I'm not worried as much about the amp. A practice amp will do fine for now. I plan on getting lessons rather than be self taught. I self taught my self the drums, and I have been playing for 4 years, and even though I consider myself a decent drummer, I know I'd be twice as good if I would have taken lessons.
Quote by brff15
I enjoy mostly rock. I don't want to do anything to heavy metal, it's just not my style of music. I am am big on Queen, Nirvana, and Zeppelin. I really wanting a good guitar. I'm not worried as much about the amp. A practice amp will do fine for now. I plan on getting lessons rather than be self taught. I self taught my self the drums, and I have been playing for 4 years, and even though I consider myself a decent drummer, I know I'd be twice as good if I would have taken lessons.

The Vox VT15 will be perfect for those bands u mentioned.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
$1000 is a good budget. Get what you feel comfortable with. Fender , Epi, PRS, etc etc etc all make good stuff in your range that you will enjoy.
IMHO an amp like a Vox ADVt or Vt a Peavy Vyper ,just go 30w min with a 50 or more ideal with a simple pedal to switch up and maybe a wah is all you'll need to start. You're not going to outgrow them as they are great practice amps and plenty loud enough for the garage and you'll have extra for strings.
IMHO bring someone that knows guitars and can see have they play, you determine if you like the feel of it.
Am I the only one who read the TS inquiry? Jazz and Rock was mentioned. That rules out all the Ibanez, Jackson, Sxhecter, ESP, LTD, and probably Fender.
Let's start at the top. If its early rock then a Gibson ES335 would cover your bases. If you want to move into heavier classic rock and some metal, A Les Paul is ideal. Right, so Gibsons are out of reach but both those models are copied by Agile from Rondo Music.
I would entirely agree with the suggestion of a Fender Amp. For home use something like the Champ XD is perfect and has some pretty good effects built-in. For practice with a band or for small gigs you'd want something with more power. I know they have combos in the 30 to 40 watt range which would be great. (Hot Rod Deluxe?) The Fender amps will cover you from Jazz through Blues, Country, Rock&Roll to classic Rock but will need a pedal or two for metal type distortion. As you have a decent budget, don't waste time on Solid State Amps. They might be alright for Jazz but are not ideal, mostly, for Rock unless you can't afford a valve amp

Edit:
Okay new info from TS changes things.. From early rock to a bit of Metal, the SG is perfect. It is a very easy guitar to play as it is light and comfortable. A Gibson is still going to push the budget but even a used model of a sixties re-issue would be brilliant, as they have lovely slim necks. A much better investment than any copy and they sound pretty good through SS practice amps.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Last edited by Lurcher at Jan 2, 2010,
ok,
amp-vox VT15 or 30. awesome
guitar-mostly preference.... id go with a fender strat or an epiphone LP
effects-dont need em to start off... maybe an OD/distortion
and a tuner, and metronome.
and ya, take lessons... I never did... I really should start but 3 years into playing it would be weird
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals