And it was for beginners and I just remember the guy who was teaching saying something like "pay attention to the 5th 6th and 7th frets, you will understand why later" and then the rest of the lesson he never really explained why so I was thinking about this and thought "maybe he was just alluding to the thought of when you really know whats up with guitar you will realize a lot of the action comes between those frets" I've looked at these frets on many different scale diagrams and realize that a lot of many scales notes are really packed into this area of the neck. Is there anything else about this area of the fretboard I may be missing...anything special that only happens here?

I know that playing in standard tuning there are only certain places on low strings you can play as if in drop d...ex. the 7th fret of the 6th and 5th strings can bar because the notes are B & E which is a power chord i guess

is this like a sweet spot for bar chords?

just trying to think of what makes this area more special than others...
Last edited by PattyCakes at Jan 2, 2010,
There's nothing that makes the 5th, 6th and/or 7th fret special. Most likely it had something to do with that exercise/lick he was demonstrating then, any chance you can tell us which instructional it was?
Nothing is special about them. Maybe he was suggesting you first play barre chords at those frets, because the frets are a comfortable distance apart , so that barre chords will be easiest there. That way you get a feel for doing barre chords, and then can move them to other frets, where they're a little less comfortable.
I'm guessing because related to the open string the 5th and 7th fret are where the IV and V are, and the 6th fret is the tritone. All of which are pretty important. But really, I don't see how he would think anything was more important than the rest.
Quote by PattyCakes
And it was for beginners and I just remember the guy who was teaching saying something like "pay attention to the 5th 6th and 7th frets, you will understand why later" and then the rest of the lesson he never really explained why so I was thinking about this and thought "maybe he was just alluding to the thought of when you really know whats up with guitar you will realize a lot of the action comes between those frets" I've looked at these frets on many different scale diagrams and realize that a lot of many scales notes are really packed into this area of the neck. Is there anything else about this area of the fretboard I may be missing...anything special that only happens here?

I know that playing in standard tuning there are only certain places on low strings you can play as if in drop d...ex. the 7th fret of the 6th and 5th strings can bar because the notes are B & E which is a power chord i guess

is this like a sweet spot for bar chords?

just trying to think of what makes this area more special than others...

Nothing that I can think of, sounds like poor teaching organization. I can count the number of DVD teachers that can actually teach on one hand. But two of them are Danny Gill and Stuart Bull.

And of course my all time favorites, Wolf Marshall and Troy Stetina.
It was a Paul Gilbert Ibanez dvd or some shit...maybe I just remembered it wrong, we were playing on the 5th and 7th fret in the dvd, hmmm...I think i recall him saying something though about it being a good spot for guitarists for some reason or another...hmm

i will have to find it and watch it again