What do you know about this amp? My Valveking has a new problem with it every day and I can't be taking it in for warranty work every week because I need an amp to play shows with. The ATX-100 looks pretty awesome but I can't find a whole lot about it here.
It is a pretty kick ass head imo. Nice cleans, nice overdrive. These amps have had their fair share of issues so I'm not sure how much more reliable it will be. I consider the Valvekings to be pretty reliable for the price. What kinds of issues have you been having?

Otherwise

Without knowing your budget and genres played I'd say the B52 AT is pretty killer for $599.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 2, 2010,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
It is a pretty kick ass head imo. Nice cleans, nice overdrive. These amps have had there fair share of issues so I'm not sure how much more reliable it will be. I consider the Valvekings to be pretty reliable for the price. What kinds of issues have you been having?

Otherwise

Without knowing your budget and genres played I'd say the B52 AT is pretty killer for $599.

I play everything from The Fall of Troy to ska/punk to blues to metal. I need a very versatile amp.

My Valveking has issues with:

Channel selection (volume shoots up to 10 when I go to the clean channel)
Squeaking noise
Reverb doesn't work

And a few other things. Plus I think the B-52 sounds better from what I've been hearing.
I wish I had the link handy that Bulletrocks522 did of his B52 AT. It's on the Tube so maybe you've seen it already under a different name. From the 30 min that I played it I would say it can do all of that just fine. My only complaint really was that I could not hear a difference between OD1 and OD2. Additionally, it was not as loud as I expected, but plenty loud enough. Would probably sound better with a better cab too. I did a mini-review on it not too long ago.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I wish I had the link handy that Bulletrocks522 did of his B52 AT. It's on the Tube so maybe you've seen it already under a different name. From the 30 min that I played it I would say it can do all of that just fine. My only complaint really was that I could not hear a difference between OD1 and OD2. Additionally, it was not as loud as I expected, but plenty loud enough. Would probably sound better with a better cab too. I did a mini-review on it not too long ago.

Thanks!
Does the ATX-100 have a triple rectifier like the AT-100 does?
I've been wondering about this amp as well. I've heard it's the "poor man's Mesa", and someone did clips of the AT100 and a Dual Recto, and they were very close in sound.

Now that they've come out with the newer ATX, I'm even more interested.
Quote by Ignite
I've been wondering about this amp as well. I've heard it's the "poor man's Mesa", and someone did clips of the AT100 and a Dual Recto, and they were very close in sound.

Now that they've come out with the newer ATX, I'm even more interested.

Funny how there's no real info on it anywhere. I guess I'll go test one out today.
I've tried one out...liked it a lot better than my old AT100 head. Don't really know what the differences are between the two...but I was in the shop when the tech was retubing one and got to fool around on it for a bit. Either way...B-52's (the all tube ones) are pretty versatile amps IMO. I just sold mine because I was tired of having to hook up a stereo rig and a MIDI board all the time. One head just makes it easier
I tested it out at GC and ended up taking it home. It's roughly 30 times better than the Valveking. The only complaint I have is I can't get the same low end as my VK, which I'm surprised at.
Quote by drewfromutah
Thanks!
Does the ATX-100 have a triple rectifier like the AT-100 does?

Not sure but I believe they have the same set up.

Most tube amps have rectifiers. Some are solid state rectified, some tube rectified and some have both. The term 'triple rectified' I thought meant that there was a tube rectifier for each pair of power tubes. In the case of the Mesa Triple Rectifier there are 6 power tubes, hence 3 tube rectifiers. Dual Rec would have 2 tube rectifiers.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

What the B52 has, I'm not sure. Maybe you can tell us know that you have one

PS: Looks like you just bought the B52 so I think you go down in history as having the quickest turn around from Amp question to Amp purchase

Have fun with your new amp - It shouldn't have any trouble with low end.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Most tube amps have rectifiers. Some are solid state rectified, some tube rectified and some have both. The term 'triple rectified' I thought meant that there was a tube rectifier for each pair of power tubes. In the case of the Mesa Triple Rectifier there are 6 power tubes, hence 3 tube rectifiers. Dual Rec would have 2 tube rectifiers.

PS: Looks like you just bought the B52 so I think you go down in history as having the quickest turn around from Amp question to Amp purchase

I gotcha. I think it has more low end than I thought. I'm just used to the muddy mess I was getting from the VK.
me and my bud got new amps about 2 weeks ago. He got a B52 atx 100 while i got the valveking. Personally i liked the valveking better, it def doesnt have as much gain as the B52, but i dont like to much gain.

Also. the B52 hisses like shitload on high volumes.
o also, yea i had to return my vavleking cus one of the tubes went, but i just picked up another today, havent tried it out yet tho
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

actually a triple recto only has 2 recto tubes as well ss and tube, they just named it a triple because of 50 more watts being superior to a dual at 100, the new atx head from what some of my buddies at another shop told me is that the gain stages have been improved to sigle out notes better on higher gain settings, realiblity wise b52 will never get my buisness, everyone i know has issues with blown fuses or tubes on these things when they take them on the road
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
the B52 At100 have a "tri-mode rectifier" not "triple rectifer" like the Mesas. tri-mode meaning 3 dif rect mode settings. class A=warmer sounding, lower power kinda, uses the retifier tube. Class AB=more modern sounding with a normal biasing scheme, uses the tube rectifier. SS mode=class AB setting, but uses a SS rectifier diode instead of the rectifer tube, giving a more tight and punchy sound with more low end..kind like the Silcone diode mode on the Mesa rect.

also the B52 ATX series doesnt have the Tri mode rectifer modes and doesnt have rectifer tubes nor rectifier based like the AT100 series does, other then that the ATX head is setup almost the same way, with a tad more gain i belive.
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Last edited by HouseBoy83 at Jan 17, 2010,
Quote by TheLastSerenade
o also, yea i had to return my vavleking cus one of the tubes went, but i just picked up another today, havent tried it out yet tho

what kinda guitarist are you? One tube goes and you buy annother Amp? thats just an excuse to replace your tubes with better ones!