Hi all. Iv been playing guitar for bout a year and am really enjoying it and im looking to upgrade my current set up. I have a Squire Affinity Strat running through a Zoom GXN1 multi effects pad and then a Fender Frontman 10G amp. Although i am happy with it i would like to try and upgrade it to just improve the sound of what im playing. I mainly enjoy listening to blues/rock music so things from BB King to Eric Clapton, the Who, Led Zep and more recent almost pop rock bands like Kasabian and the Killers. My current budget is £500 but i may be able to stretch to £600

My problem is i just dont have the experience or knowledge to know what to look for so was hoping for a bit of advice

I know you guys are prop getting tired of these threads but its always great to hear from unbiased opinions. Thanks for your time and help
I'd say a Fender MiM, but tbh you're not gonna sound any better - if you want a better sound, get a better tube amp, it'll make your squier sound waay better.
what's the heaviest stuff you play?

are you willing to upgrade both your guitar and amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
what's the heaviest stuff you play?

are you willing to upgrade both your guitar and amp?

Heaviest is probably gonna be things like Wont get fooled again and Kashmir . Maybe a bit of Muse and AC/DC but im not gonna go for metal stuff, nor real shredding stuff. Also in willing to upgrade both, or even just either an amp or guitar, that 1 of the things im not sure over, whether it would just be better to upgrade just the amp , the guitar, both or neither and get some effects stuff
Quote by chay007
Heaviest is probably gonna be things like Wont get fooled again and Kashmir . Maybe a bit of Muse and AC/DC but im not gonna go for metal stuff, nor real shredding stuff. Also in willing to upgrade both, or even just either an amp or guitar, that 1 of the things im not sure over, whether it would just be better to upgrade just the amp , the guitar, both or neither and get some effects stuff

Definitely upgrade your amp if you aren't happy with the tone.
Quote by chay007

it's probably worth upgrading both. It'd be worth having a think about how much disposable money you can get together in the next while (say, 6 months, or however long you're willing to wait), as that might let you get a much better upgrade than jumping in and buying right now.

for example, this:

http://www.valvepower.co.uk/

would be great for the amp, but put even a cheap 1x12 speaker cab alongside it (say, the epi valve junior one, or thomann's harley benton equivalent, or i should say, i assume it's the equivalent as it looks fairly similar), and you're up to about £400 or so. That's not leaving that much for the guitar (say, £200), but if you can gather together another £100 or so over the course of the next few months, that'd give you a fairly good upgrade on what you already have (you could probably get a yamaha pacifica 612v for £300, for example).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 2, 2010,