I have a Vox AD50VT, and the AC30 setting is the exact sound I want. I have a Gibson Les Paul Standard and I'm looking to now upgrade my rig, hopefully with a 2x12 cab and a valve based head.
I have a small fetish for Orange amps so I'm planning on getting the Orange open back 2x12 (can't really afford to spend an extra £100 on closed back)

Now, for the fun bit, should I get the Orange Rocker 30 or the Vox AC50 Classic Plus.
On one hand Orange look ****ing pimping, but then after watching various YouTube videos they seem very bass heavy and almost muddy.
The Vox doesn't have the Orange cleans, nor is it orange, but it is closer to the AC30

Finally, the sound I really want is like Gaslight Anthem (http://www.youtube.com./watch?v=G1lq40tR72Q&feature=related and Brain Fallon now uses LP Juniors and sounds sick.

So what Head/2x12 set up should I get?
If you like the AC30 sound you're getting, then i'd say go with the AC50.

In my opinion, Orange amps sound really dark, almost too dark for my taste.

Either way, both amps are great and you'll be happy with which ever one you decide to choose.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
If you like the AC30 sound, why not just get an AC30?

If I remember correctly the AC50 is NOT just a higher wattage AC30 and is tonally different.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
I don't get it, you don't like the way the Orange sounds, and you're going to sacrifice an open back for a closed back, yet you still want to get it over an AC30 just because it's an Orange?
Quote by Sampy
If you like the AC30 sound, why not just get an AC30?

If I remember correctly the AC50 is NOT just a higher wattage AC30 and is tonally different.

I kinda like the Head/Cab set up, and the AC30 is that more expensive.
Quote by andy_heirons
I kinda like the Head/Cab set up, and the AC30 is that more expensive.

But the AC30 head is less than the AC50 head?
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Ahh my bad, I didn't think they did the Ac30 head. Only just started researching this stuff
if you like the tone of the ac30 stick with vox then. if you get the orange cab the open back wont have a lot of low end. if you want that signature low end that the orange has the extra 100 saved up is worth it. obviously you dont seem content with the orange tone (gong by youtube videos is a terrible way to see if an amp is for you). if i was you id listen to some bands that you know that run orange amps and see what you think from there. do more research and if you can, play the amps!

two different ac30 heads.

custom classic

Heritage

if you want that classic ac30 tone, the heritage is the way to go. beautiful sounding amp, the custom classic isnt bad at all though.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Last edited by Crohny at Jan 2, 2010,
i wouldn't want an orange (any i've tried, anyway) for that type of tone. Vox might do it on the top boost channel with single coils. Personally, i'd avoid the ac50/100, though, i didn't like the ones i tried. The higher gain channel was horrible, and the lower gain channel, while passable, wasn't as nice at lower gain tones as the ac30cc.

fender-style amps might even be worth considering for that type of tone.

you could also consider this: http://www.valvepower.co.uk/

but it doesn't have too much headroom, it should do that light crunch with single coils, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i wouldn't want an orange (any i've tried, anyway) for that type of tone. Vox might do it on the top boost channel with single coils. Personally, i'd avoid the ac50/100, though, i didn't like the ones i tried. The higher gain channel was horrible, and the lower gain channel, while passable, wasn't as nice at lower gain tones as the ac30cc.

fender-style amps might even be worth considering for that type of tone.

you could also consider this: http://www.valvepower.co.uk/

but it doesn't have too much headroom, it should do that light crunch with single coils, though.

tube swap on the 50/100 watt heads makes for a nice head. im getting a 100 watt classic and putting JJs in it. sounds a lot better. also there is a big misconception with the "high gain" on the 50/100 watt heads. it's high gain for the vox line, but it's not like say a soldano or mesa. it has the gain structure there to make it have a really solid punch, but if youre thinking high gain in terms of engl, soldano, and so on then it will fall short for sure.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Last edited by Crohny at Jan 2, 2010,
possible, i only tried it in the shop so obviously couldn't swap the valves. I just didn't like the tone of the higher-gain channel, it was really fuzzy and ragged. Not my style at all.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?