It's an interesting thing to ponder: playing with your eyes closed seems to improve phrasing and timing. But why?

It all has to do with the brain shifting "thinking power" to your ears. Basically if your eyes are open, your brain is processing information from five senses: sight sound touch smell and taste. However if you remove sight (by closing your eyes), the brain now focuses much more on the other four senses. Science has proven this to be true.

Another very interesting thought is that we see the world that we live in. So when you close your eyes you are now living in a sound world. Listening to a song with your eyes closed, especially a great one, will literally take you into a totally new world where sound rules supreme.

Just a thought. Comments?
Interesting what you said about songs taking you places. Ever listen to music when you're falling asleep? When I'm at that half asleep phase my mind goes haywire and creates all sorts of abstract colours and shapes. Complete lack of logic. Ambient stuff works best, like explosions in the sky or sigur ros. It's like you're the director of your own music videos.
Yeah I kind of get that too. Apparently right before you fall asleep and when you're really weary at night, that's when the brain is at its creative peak. Not 100% sure as to how true that is, but it sure seems that way.
I find that if I'm listening to music, and really listening to it, not just having it on while doing something else, I'll often close my eyes.

When playing, I don't usually close my eyes, as I need to look at my hand sometimes to make sure my shifts are good.
There definitely is a subconscious state of mind that needs to be reached when playing guitar, somewhat like nirvana, in order to truly play with your heart instead of your conscious mind.

I, personally, rarely reach this point, as I usually play based on patterns, and have plenty of other inhibitions, but I've had enough experience to say that this state of mind is a whole different level of beauty than just playing or singing, or whatever else it may be.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by Angry-Mares
It's an interesting thing to ponder: playing with your eyes closed seems to improve phrasing and timing. But why?

It doesn't improv phrasing or timing, but listening does...... which is probably what your doing more of with your eyes closed. Keep in mind, there is no reason that you can't listen just as well with your eyes open. It's a focus thing.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Angry-Mares
Yeah I kind of get that too. Apparently right before you fall asleep and when you're really weary at night, that's when the brain is at its creative peak. Not 100% sure as to how true that is, but it sure seems that way.

I believe it, because some of my greatest riffs and such come to me as I'm about to fall asleep, I get up and figure it out on the guitar before going back to bed.
Quote by GuitarMunky
It doesn't improv phrasing or timing, but listening does...... which is probably what your doing more of with your eyes closed. Keep in mind, there is no reason that you can't listen just as well with your eyes open. It's a focus thing.

i agree with this. its not really the closing of the eyes that helps, but the listening. i know a bunch of great players who keep their eyes open and great ones who dont. i also know not so great players that close them.

i find it helps me if im over thinking things and relying to much on paterns. closing my eyes just helps me get into a more musical mode. but once im there i dont need to keep them closed. sometimes i dont need to at all.