im think of swapping my bridge pick up on my squier strat for a seymour duncans hot rod (not sure which one yet) or some other hot rod

NOW LISTEN HEAR...this part is important
i know my amp is terrible, i know it sucks and everything...i especially know that a swap in pick ups wont improve the sound dramatically so dont tell me i should get a new amp...cos im planning on working in the summer and im gonna buy a blues junior or something of the sort
now that over

what i want to know is how much a single sized humbucker changes the sound...does it sound halfway between single and humbucker?
i would sort of think so since most of the humbuckers warmth comes from the fact that it covers such a large area

and would it be good for pearl jam, nirvana, rhcp, zeppelin, hendrix

the reason im checking is because i might be getting a niceer guitar eventually, maybe another strat which i would prefer to have with single coils and if i can make my squiersound different it wont get replaced and ill have more sounds to choose from

thanks
A single sized humbucker sounds like a humbucker, not half way between a singlecoil or a humbucker. A friend of mine hast installed three Hot Rails in his Strat and it's brutal as hell.

It's okay to change if it is an higher end Squier, they're not of bad material and don't suck, like everyone says. If it's a cheap model, like 150 bucks, it is probably not worth the money, as the pickups themselves cost a fair bit.
you can try guitar fetish pickups.there cheaper and are amazing for the price...i havent used them, but i do plan on getting some for my crappy ibanez starter guitar
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Quote by DarkValo666
A single sized humbucker sounds like a humbucker, not half way between a singlecoil or a humbucker. A friend of mine hast installed three Hot Rails in his Strat and it's brutal as hell.

It's okay to change if it is an higher end Squier, they're not of bad material and don't suck, like everyone says. If it's a cheap model, like 150 bucks, it is probably not worth the money, as the pickups themselves cost a fair bit.

ok then i was under the impression that it wouldnt sound exactly like a normal humbucker

my suiqer is the standard...got it for 220 euro...it plays really well...i think it would be good enough
They DON'T sound like a normal humbucker, the geometry is different. You'd be surprised how much affect that has on the pickup. It's a big part of the reason Tele and Strat pickups sound different.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
They DON'T sound like a normal humbucker, the geometry is different. You'd be surprised how much affect that has on the pickup. It's a big part of the reason Tele and Strat pickups sound different.

ah thats what i thought...i read somewhere that the main reason that humbuckers sound so deep is because they ave suuch a large field...with s-sized humbuckers i expect they would sound slightly different...especially seeing that they are at an angle at the bridge.

does this mean that ill still be able to play rhcp well as well as some other stuff that requires a single coil...how drastic is the change?

also the position 4 reduces hum right...but does it actually sound like an (albeit terrible on my strat) humbucker?
Well...no. It sounds a lot more like an HB than it does an SC, if a bit brighter. You could get a stacked SC (which is noise canceling) for the neck position if you wanted. Positions 2 and 4 are hum canceling but they don't sound like a humbucker - it's way too "quacky".
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
ok then...ill see if i get them or not.

i guess it depends on my next guitar, whether it a single coil guitar or one with humbuckers
Don't be too hard on your guitar after you swap the pups. Sometimes a lower end amp wont show a dramatic difference in the tones. The better the amp..the more they generally distance themselves.

This is why you have to be careful with the Gibson Vs Epiphone Videos. This one of the ways they mislead buyers. I love my Epiphones though.

Anyways Squiers sound great. Upgrade the pickups and create your own sound. I upgraded my lp-100 and it sounds great, minus the half hour lp std sustain..lol

You can ALWAYS buy a higher end guitar and switch the pups and the Squier will still have pickups better than stock. Its a win win IMO.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Jan 2, 2010,
i'm looking to do something like this with my squire and think it's a good way to keep using an old guitar since i bought my fender i havent used it but am planning on putting some humbuckers into it to get a new tone for the sounds my fender can't get
_____
MUSE
Quote by protest000
Quote by gillehy
Anyone agree there or am i on my own?
+
The Pearl jam/ Red Hot Chili Peppers sound is definately a single coil sound.
Gear:
Lotus strat copy (1996)
Stedman Pro Executioner
B.C. Rich Warbeast STD
B.C. Rich KKV Signature
Schecter Damien Elite FR
Fender P-Bass

Amp:
Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall 4x12 cab with celestion rockin 30's
Boss ME-50 Multi-effects
what i meant be difference n osund is not the quality (how nice it sounds) but the tone of the sound...what type of sound

ill probably not chane them fro now...if my next guitar is a single coiled guitar though ill change them
A SC sized HB will sound almost the same as a full sized HB.....I've got one guitar with the SC sized SD JB and another with the regular SD JB and they sound pretty similar.

With that said, a new HSS pickguard can be bought for around $12 and would only take you about an extra 3-5 minutes to swap out when making the pup change. http://store.guitarfetish.com/pickguards.html

Either way the sound will be dramatically different from that stock SC pup. I would also suggest dropping in a push-pull pot to allow you to split the coils so you can still get an OK SC sound from the bridge pup.

Oh yeah, the Squier Std is GREAT mod platform. 2 point trem, full thickness body (unlike other squiers), and a 22 fret neck.
Last edited by webwarmiller at Jan 3, 2010,
Imo, if your amp is nice and you'll do these mods yourself go for it. Only however if the wood and the neck is good because those can't be swapped.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
Imo, if your amp is nice and you'll do these mods yourself go for it. Only however if the wood and the neck is good because those can't be swapped.

Squier Strats have bolt-on necks. Super-easy to swap.

A pickup change can do wonders for your guitar, but think carefully about what are the pros and cons of the mods you're about to do... Putting a full-sized humbucker on a SSS Strat, as someone suggested, is more than just buying a HSS or SSH pickguard.
You'll have to carve a bigger pickup hole in the body, and that change isn't easy to reverse (while a pickup change between pickups of the same type/size is easier).
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Not always, it may be routed for a humbucker. Alot of the time it is. Going form a single to a humbucker in the bridge will make a difference in sound no matter what amp you have. But changing humbucker types and single coil types not so much.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
Not always, it may be routed for a humbucker. Alot of the time it is. Going form a single to a humbucker in the bridge will make a difference in sound no matter what amp you have. But changing humbucker types and single coil types not so much.

What i meant is change from a single coil to a single-coil sized humbucker.

And even changes between single coils can make a HUGE difference.
For example, i changed the stock pickups on a cheap Strat copy for a friend, swapped them for Fender Samarium Cobalt Noiseless Strat pickups. Since both the wood and the bridge were nice, the only other mods performed were the installation of a 3-ply (white-black-white) pickguard, locking tuners and Jim Dunlop straplocks.
Now, his once crappy Strat looks, feels and sounds better than some MIA Fenders.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I believe it man. My strat knockoff sounds just as good as other real strats I've tried.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
From what I've seen, Squier Std strats are routed HSH. Obviously this allows for just about any PUP setup with zero modification to your guitar other than the pickguard.