Page 1 of 2
I am using a Squier Strat and a frontman 15g. Yeah, i know my gear is crap. Eventually I will upgrade my amp (cuz i've played my squier through some nicer amps and it actually sounds really, really nice, even if it is just a squier). But currently my family is going through some financial problems and obv my family comes before an amp, haha.

For anyone who has played a frontman 15g or another amp of that quality, does anyone have any suggestions? Of course an amp this cheap is always going to sound like crap, but any way to achieve a less painfully annoying sound? The clean tone is alright but the overdrive is ****. I heard to just turn the treble completely off so it isn't so tinny and *annoying* and so far that's already improved it. Other ideas?
EQ pedal or Distortion/OD pedal? Could get a second hand Boss OD for like £20

If you get an EQ, get an MXR and then keep it for life, it might cost more than £40, but its worth it
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
i just wouldn't used the overdrive at all. i've played a frontman before and the clean sound is decent, but the drive channel isn't even usable.
play around with it until you get some better tones. pedals maybe?
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
dont bother using the amps overdrive...buy a pedal for that
Quote by Anthony1991
EQ pedal or Distortion/OD pedal? Could get a second hand Boss OD for like £20

If you get an EQ, get an MXR and then keep it for life, it might cost more than £40, but its worth it

This is a very good suggestion. These items will never be outgrown.

Be careful buying tone specific pedals such as "Metal" or "Distortion" because the will most likely be gathering dust.

I like the Wylde Overdrive myself. There is a huge debate about it being the same pedal with a different label...but it doesnt change the sound of the amp. It simply adds gain. I find that to be useful.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Jan 2, 2010,
Can anyone recommend me some good *cheap* pedals that could be good? I'd like to be able to get a decent rock/metal tone out of it, if possible.
Quote by norwegianwood49
Can anyone recommend me some good *cheap* pedals that could be good? I'd like to be able to get a decent rock/metal tone out of it, if possible.

it doesn't much matter... the cheaper pedals suck, plus its most likely still gonna suck because the amp sucks.
Quote by norwegianwood49

try to find a used ds1. or similar for around $20 usd.

or you know, one year i got a fab metal pedal in my stocking. lasted all year, and it was fun to play around with. i think they are about $15.

eventually, you'll buy a better amp and wont need a pedal. so dont put any real money into it.

also, DO Not stick holes in your speaker. like someone said.

and dont listen to the guys that say not to get a cheap pedal. they dont understand.

do you live in the states?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jan 2, 2010,
My pod x3 sounds pretty good though my small 30 watt practice amp. Maybe get a pocket pod.
Quote by labolas
I didn't say poke holes in the speaker.... I said go in through the back and poke holes in the cardboard\foam. This WILL help, I guarantee it.

And the cheaper distortion pedals are crap. You get what you pay for.

my bad. ok, op, dont poke holes in the cardboard / foam.

thanks for the correction.

just spend under $20, get a little pedal, use the amp on clean, until you can save for a better amp.

also, again op, are you in the states.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by labolas
Turn the amp over, take a screw driver, and poke holes in the cardboard\foam. That will make the overdrive sound better.

Play around with the settings until u find something u like. I like to scoop the mids (all bass and treble no mids).

You're an idiot...an idiot with terrible tone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
u had a squier sp 10 and i sounded like a toilet flush
I opend it up and instaled a resistor serial to the bas pot
that made some mids pup out and it made the tone slightly better
but,i bought myself a rocktron silver dragon thats a tube overdrive/distorsion and that was a great improvment
i bought it for 100 bucks used and it serves my great
i recomend that you buy that kind of pedal so you can use it even when you get a new amp
my only concern is that you have 3 single coils so i dont know how would it respond to a high gain sound
I find it's usually the tiny crappy speakers in these cheap practice amps that fail. My Marshal MG15 sound like sh*t. Took the back off disconnected the speaker added an out put jack and use it as a head thru a small 2x12 speaker cab I got someplace cheap and it's amazing the difference in tone still not great but a lot better than that little 8" speaker.

I really doubt your going to get much better tone with that amp pedal or no pedal. You might want to look into getting something a little better. I am not going to suggest amps your best bet is to take your guitar to a store and try some amps you think you can afford.

John
i have a frontman 15g, and it sounds ok with my epiphone sg special, just muck around with the tone controls until you find your own style and you'll see it's not all that bad.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Yeah Ibanez and Gibson design all their models on their iPods.

Buy a used Roland Cube, i think they will fit your use werry well!

But whatever you do, dont buy a MG! They are crap!
Quote by steven seagull
You're an idiot...an idiot with terrible tone.

Actually, Jimmy Page all but scooped his mids out of his sound. Treble was 8, bass was 7, mids were around 3 or 4.
Quote by robertito696
^The new MG's are supposed to be pretty good from what I've heard actually.

BE GONE WITH YE, SATAN!!!!!!

but srsly, are you a salesman or something?
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Actually, Jimmy Page all but scooped his mids out of his sound. Treble was 8, bass was 7, mids were around 3 or 4.

haha, what does that have to do with anything remotely close to topic.
Jimmy use a lot of fm15s in his day?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
haha, what does that have to do with anything remotely close to topic.
Jimmy use a lot of fm15s in his day?

...that would be an interesting concept. horrific, albeit interesting.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']...that would be an interesting concept. horrific, albeit interesting.

yesh tru.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I'm to imagine 'Since I've Been Loving You' with crackly, fuzzy overdrive and lots of hum and solid state crap... it's not working for me.
I have this sh*t no name amp that i found. It used to sound terrible then i kicked it and now it sounds great. So idk, kick it or drop it or something.
Listen to jazz, it'll make you a better guitar player.

Whatever you do, stay creative
Sorry for the late response, I was gone for the day. Thanks, I appreciate all responses ! I'll probably test out some of the cheaper 15-20 dollar pedals soon on an amp similar mine to see if I like the tone better. Where would the best place to find used pedals be?

Yes, I do live in the states.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Danelectro-D-3-FAB-Metal-Effect-Pedal-103366522-i1124583.gc

^^ would this make my frontman 15g sound better? if people have recommendations could they link me to some?
Last edited by norwegianwood49 at Jan 4, 2010,
Quote by labolas
"The idea of intentionally using distortion to improve the amplified tone had not occurred to early amplifier makers. Early examples of distortion were often the result of accidents in which the guitar amplifier was in some way damaged, but the player or producer decided they liked it and recorded it that way. During the recording of "Rocket 88", one of the early rock and roll songs, Ike Turner and the Kings of Rhythm guitarist Willie Kizart used an amplifier that had been damaged in transit, resulting in an early recorded example of guitar distortion. For the recording of "The Train Kept A-Rollin'" by the Johnny Burnette Trio, a valve fell out of the amplifier during a live performance. When a reviewer then raved about the crazy new sound, Burnette used the same tone in the recording studio.[1]

Willie Johnson's playing on Howlin' Wolf's Memphis recordings of 1951-2 is marked by a consistent use of deliberate distortion, creating a raucous, menacing sound that complements Howlin' Wolf's singing.[2][3]

An early user of valve overdrive was Chuck Berry, who at the start of his career played through small valve amplifiers, the only ones he could afford. Because of their low output, they were easy to overdrive, giving Chuck's guitar tone a warm overdriven sound, which can be heard on his recording of his first hit "Maybellene". On later recordings he was able to afford better and larger amps and consequently his tone became cleaner. The earliest uses of intentional distortion that have been recorded were achieved through "doctoring" amplifiers and speakers. Guitarists would use a razor blade, screwdriver or pencil to poke holes into their speaker cones to create a distorted sound.[4]"

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overdrive_(music)

I know what I'm talking about. I PROMISE that poking holes will sound better than buying a cheap distortion pedal.

So what?

People had to do that because there was no such thing as distortion pedals back then - it wasn't done because it "sounded better", it was done out of necessity.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by norwegianwood49
Sorry for the late response, I was gone for the day. Thanks, I appreciate all responses ! I'll probably test out some of the cheaper 15-20 dollar pedals soon on an amp similar mine to see if I like the tone better. Where would the best place to find used pedals be?

Yes, I do live in the states.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Danelectro-D-3-FAB-Metal-Effect-Pedal-103366522-i1124583.gc

^^ would this make my frontman 15g sound better? if people have recommendations could they link me to some?

it's got a cheap little speaker, but using any pedal on clean, should make the gain more livable.

can you afford the $15?
if you can, and live near a gc, then plug one into a FM15 and see if you like it better.

if you can afford it but can't try it out, then i suggest you go for it. can't be worse than what you have now. plus it's returnable via internet. free shipping back if it buzzes or sounds unusable.

if you honestly can not afford the $15, then send me an address (wt parents permission) via pm, and i'll send you a pedal you can use until you get back on your feet.

edit: labolas, come on man. everyone knows the legend. that was way before anything that's out there now. thanks for intro-ing me to wiki tho. never heard of it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Jan 4, 2010,
Quote by Lugnaz987
I have this sh*t no name amp that i found. It used to sound terrible then i kicked it and now it sounds great. So idk, kick it or drop it or something.

Sig'd
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
Use the AUX output on it and plug in into your home theatre/stereo.

That will help a ton with sheer wattage... I have the G-Dec Jr. and it's a similar amp. I run it through my Home Theatre system when not using Guitar Rig 3, and it makes a massive difference.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']BE GONE WITH YE, SATAN!!!!!!

but srsly, are you a salesman or something?

Have you played one?

They aren't bad amps at all.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by jj1565
my bad. ok, op, dont poke holes in the cardboard / foam.

thanks for the correction.

This actually made me laugh loudly at work.......
Damn UG going to get me into trouble!!

My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Last edited by Talentless at Jan 4, 2010,
Quote by JayLacelle
i just wouldn't used the overdrive at all. i've played a frontman before and the clean sound is decent, but the drive channel isn't even usable.

Gotta agree. Whatever they use to produce clipping in the overdrive channel sucks big time. The frontman series really more or less sucks across the board, but I've found you can get passable and interesting if quirky tones out of it by overloading the speaker on the clean channel. I actually recorded one once doing that.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by norwegianwood49
I am using a Squier Strat and a frontman 15g. Yeah, i know my gear is crap. Eventually I will upgrade my amp (cuz i've played my squier through some nicer amps and it actually sounds really, really nice, even if it is just a squier). But currently my family is going through some financial problems and obv my family comes before an amp, haha.

For anyone who has played a frontman 15g or another amp of that quality, does anyone have any suggestions? Of course an amp this cheap is always going to sound like crap, but any way to achieve a less painfully annoying sound? The clean tone is alright but the overdrive is ****. I heard to just turn the treble completely off so it isn't so tinny and *annoying* and so far that's already improved it. Other ideas?

First, kudos to you for having the right priorities.

Second, do you have any money to spend? if so, what budget do you have? Can you save for something better in the future? There are lots of used amps at Guitar Center and in craigslist.
turn everything up to full and the volume down really low...

otherwise just use the cleans
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
Quote by jj1565
it's got a cheap little speaker, but using any pedal on clean, should make the gain more livable.

can you afford the $15?
if you can, and live near a gc, then plug one into a FM15 and see if you like it better.

if you can afford it but can't try it out, then i suggest you go for it. can't be worse than what you have now. plus it's returnable via internet. free shipping back if it buzzes or sounds unusable.

if you honestly can not afford the $15, then send me an address (wt parents permission) via pm, and i'll send you a pedal you can use until you get back on your feet.

edit: labolas, come on man. everyone knows the legend. that was way before anything that's out there now. thanks for intro-ing me to wiki tho. never heard of it.

Wow, you are a very sweet person! i really appreciate your kindness, but no, I have 20-25 i can spend

(why an fm15 in particular? to see if it'll have a similar sound in my amp?)

I'll stop by a GC next weekend, then. Is this the best option or do you have a better rec? Btw will I need to get another guitar cable? I only have one currently

Thanks again for all of your help!
hey, sorry when i say fm15, i mean frontman 15.

and yeah you'll need another cable, and a 9volt battery.

it can be a short cable, it would just need to reach from the pedal to the amp.

the longer cable would go from the guitar to the pedal, and would need to be removed from the pedal after every use, or will drain the battery power.

and no problem about the other thing.

amp<---pedal-<---------------------------guitar
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

yeah save up some money and look around in pawn shops
if you get lucky you can find some decent amps
or even some amplified speakers (not meant to be used for guitar) but that can sound nice with your guitar
Making a crappy practice amp sound less painful? Throw it out the window !!!!!
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Actually, Jimmy Page all but scooped his mids out of his sound. Treble was 8, bass was 7, mids were around 3 or 4.

That's on a Marshall... with EL34s and with a guitar with PAFs. That's entirely different than a solid-state amplifier with what is likely a full-range speaker.

Quote by labolas
Turn the amp over, take a screw driver, and poke holes in the cardboard\foam. That will make the overdrive sound better.

Play around with the settings until u find something u like. I like to scoop the mids (all bass and treble no mids).

As steven said, you are a fuhl. It was done out of necessity, but it does not sound better. It also hurts your clean tone.

On topic, I'd just get a cheap distortion pedal as others have suggested.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Page 1 of 2