Hey guise, been a while sinse I've been here at GG&A.

Anyway I have an assignment for you people, I'm thinking before long I'm going to need to downsize my rig, and start a fresh.

I currently have to sell...

MesaBoogie F100 head (£500-£800)
Marshall 4x12 1960 (£200?)
Ibanez RG350DX (£50-£100)
Warick rockcase pedalboard (£50)

So let's say I've got about £800-£1000 to spend on a guitar and small amp.

I play bluesy rock and clean as well as the heavy stuff, so versitility is key in terms of amplifiers. But try and keep it small and low powered, I don't want to piss my neighbours off!

For guitar, I'd like to keep the washburn, and that can handle the high gain nicely, so for a second guitar I'd love a strat or something similar.

So I'm thinking probably £500ish for each, don't worry about going way under budget either!

Used or new I don't care. I'm in the UK... fire away! (hey that rhymed )

Cheers
Why do you want to sell your old rig?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
used ok?
Guitar wise, I'd check out a PRS SE.

Used is fine, as long as It's easy to find at that price!
PRS Se is interesting, custom 24 any good?

Quote by JesusCrisp
Why do you want to sell your old rig?

Too big/loud basically, can't take it home so it stays at the studio = waste of a great setup.
the best way to get a great clean and hi-gain sound would be to buy a simple 1 channel clean amp and just get a couple pedals. I would suggest something like a fender hot rod deluxe.

as for second guitar, try looking for an older squire strat (used of course). I found squires that are more than 10 years old are better than new MiMs.
Quote by JayLacelle
the best way to get a great clean and hi-gain sound would be to buy a simple 1 channel clean amp and just get a couple pedals. I would suggest something like a fender hot rod deluxe.

as for second guitar, try looking for an older squire strat (used of course). I found squires that are more than 10 years old are better than new MiMs.

I actually know somebody with an old squire, quite liked it. But I don't think it plays quite nice enough for me... maybe it needed a set-up.

Are deluxe's good?
The F100 head has a master volume and gets its distortion. Why is it too loud for home? Pair it with a decent 2x12, and it's not really bigger than most combos either.

Most of the stuff being discussed here is probably worse than what you've already got.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by Even Bigger D
The F100 head has a master volume and gets its distortion. Why is it too loud for home? Pair it with a decent 2x12, and it's not really bigger than most combos either.

Most of the stuff being discussed here is probably worse than what you've already got.

It doesn't sound very good at low volume, and even when practicing with my band I'm only at volume 3 probably. Just doesn't really work well at bedroom levels.

I'm aware I'll have to get something worse than I've got

I'm thinking of a Laney VC-30 112? Never used one though...
Last edited by vitchb at Jan 2, 2010,
For amps, look into the Jet City JCA20H or the Bugera V22. I tried the JCA20H and I really liked it. I wrote a thread that has a review of it --> https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1254605

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Quote by JayLacelle

I'll second this, my 15 year old Squier plays almost as well as my Special Edition.

The PRS SE is a great idea. It has a very unique tone and sounds thick and lovely.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by lkngro
For amps, look into the Jet City JCA20H or the Bugera V22. I tried the JCA20H and I really liked it. I wrote a thread that has a review of it --> https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1254605

+1 on the JCA20H - not such a fan of the Bugera (not a hater, I just don't like the V series)
Can you coil-tap the PRS, 'cause I love the singlecoil sound of a strat.
Quote by vitchb
Can you coil-tap the PRS, 'cause I love the singlecoil sound of a strat.

http://www.performing-musician.com/pm/nov08/articles/prssecustom.htm

this website would seem to suggest so...but it's not the same model
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by vitchb

good amp choice, but I'd go for an HSS strat if I were you for ultimate versatility!
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
good amp choice, but I'd go for an HSS strat if I were you for ultimate versatility!

Well I don't really need versitility in the guitar, I just want classic strat sound, anything else I'll turn to the trusty X50.

The roadhouse seems nice. Well... they all do
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
then you've got a pretty good rig setup planned. I'd still look at the Jet City JCA20H instead though...

I can't seem to find a UK dealer... plus isn't it a head?

EDIT, found one! Yeah I'll consider those too.
Any other amp reccomendations? I'm thinking the VC30 might not be so good for higher gain stuff..
I'd try to get a used american strat, or a new deluxe mexican with a possible pickup change for the guitar.

Ampwise is trickier, but try the bugera V series, or some of the smaller Laney combos.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special