i'm thinking of picking up a little unit i could use for DIing guitar at gigs, or into my fourtrack etc etc when i don't want to lug around my amp or when i want to be quiet. i know sansamp do stuff like this, but what else is out there? i'm not looking for pod style things with a billion bells and whistles, but rather something like the sansamps, that just offers eq gain etc etc controls, as an amp replacement (rather than a full pedalboard replacement).

people always ask what my budget is and what my styles of music are. i don't have a helpful answer. my budget is what it needs to be. i gig in a few bands, playing indie rock, post-hardcore and alt folk. i don't particularly expect to be able to do all those things, but i'd like whatever suggestions you can throw out with the exception that i'm really not in need of something to do BROOTALZ etc etc.

thanks for any recommendations, or even just suggestions of what i might look into.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
additionally, is there anything out there with an xlr output? i like the sansamp things (both the character series and the gt2), but i would like to have an xlr output.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
additionally, is there anything out there with an xlr output? i like the sansamp things (both the character series and the gt2), but i would like to have an xlr output.

There is a Sansamp with an XLR out, I forgot the name.
Now, if you have the money you can look at tube-driven preamps such as Mesa V-Twin, H&K Tubeman and T-rex Spindoctor.
interesting suggestions. the cost of them may count against them, but i'll consider them...
you can always go cheap with the Behringer GDI21
theres a bunch o sosund clips on youtube
it sounds pretty close to the sansamp
and it has an xlr output
for only 30 bucks
^not sure it'd be up my street. sounds like it is great for in the studio if you want a DI as well as an amp recording, but the whole 'not changing the sound' thing isn't what i really want for the DI: i want to give a sculpted sound to the sound man. similarly, the reactor looks cool, but i'm after something that means i don't need to take my amp/can use something if my amp dies.
Quote by nguyenandyy
you can always go cheap with the Behringer GDI21
theres a bunch o sosund clips on youtube
it sounds pretty close to the sansamp
and it has an xlr output
for only 30 bucks

looks like a direct clone of the sansamp GT2, which is pretty frustrating really, as i'd rather get the sansamp except that the xlr output would be nice...
would love some more suggestions, or particularly any hands on experiences people have had