I'm thinking of buying this amp as it sounds like it can produce some really nice tones and would form a good base to work from (I.e. Pedals, guitars and other gear).

Anyway, I'm aiming for a few sounds ranging from classic blues to Metal rhythm and leads (Kiuas, Ensiferum, Hammerfall etc).

I think I could get away with having passive pick-ups and maybe using a good pedal for some of the higher-gain stuff, but what I'm thinking is, Is there a huge difference when doing techniques like pinch harmonics with active pick-ups vs passive pick-ups.

At the moment I have two main guitars, they both use EMG-select (Bad!) pick-ups which to be honest do the job, but I'm debating whether it would be worth the effort to change out both pairs of pick-ups?
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
when you have a good amp to base your sound off, and pedals are out of the way, it's worth it. a Dimarzio Super Distortions sounds okay for your bridge, at least.
I've got a Super Distortion in the bridge of my RG2EX1. My HT-5 produces some lovely pinch harmonics.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I'd say it depends on your amp, personally. If you have a combo amp like me, actives will probably ruin the tone. If however you have a half stack that pushes out a lot of volume and could use some "modeling", then active pickups are great for that and won't make it sound muddy and generic.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
So a Super Distortion in the bridge, and what would go with that for the neck, I can see on Amazon it's bundled with a PAF pro, I'm guessing that's a popular choice?

I would still be able to get cleans out of high-output pick-ups, right?
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Quote by HardAttack
I'd say it depends on your amp, personally. If you have a combo amp like me, actives will probably ruin the tone. If however you have a half stack that pushes out a lot of volume and could use some "modeling", then active pickups are great for that and won't make it sound muddy and generic.

...wait, what? Since when does a combo amp's tone get ruined by active pickups?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.