Well, I'll be on the market soon for a new amp, due to the fact that I will soon need higher volume, and better tone. I don't necisarrily need a great distortion channel, but I do need a decent clean channel to put stomp boxes in front of. I need great value too, so under the $800's if possible? Combo's are preferred. I'm not a snob when it comes to tubes or anything (check out my signature), but I would like something that doesn't have an extremely harsh tone. Thank you .

P.S. also if possible... keep it below $600 .

Or $500

And me likey amps that are pedal friendly .
I am a Stephenist
Last edited by 5150rando at Jan 2, 2010,
try the vox ac100cp its $550 online and it is versatile and sound great. also takes pedals well.
Jet City Amplifiers 20H.

It is tube, and should be loud enough for what you want. It takes pedals/stomp boxes very well.

Now for the cab you can go one of two routes. You can get the 1*12, or the 2*12. If you go for the single, it will run you 500 USD all around. If you go for the 2*12, it is 600 USD. Very good damn deal.

Whether the 2*12 is necessary is completely up to you.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
If you can find a used JSX it handles pedals very well either in the front or the fx loop and has a nice clean tone.

i bought mine used for 650 and after replacing all the tubes, it sounds amazing. i half expected it to blow up after an hour of use for the price i got it
The fender hot rod has a pretty decent clean channel, but the overdrive isn't very good at all.

You could also get a peavey classic 30, which is great with pedals, and has good clean and overdrive channels, also the Vox ac15cc has a good clean.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Man, I like all of the above, but all of these things you guys are posting are just the heads by themselves :'(. I'm going to change it to combo... Thank you guys for the help though . I'm already having my eye out for Vox... The Jet City, I'm looking into right now, and the JSX, I can't find anything cheap used for it.
I am a Stephenist
Umm... what styles are you playing?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by 5150rando
Man, I like all of the above, but all of these things you guys are posting are just the heads by themselves :'(. I'm going to change it to combo... Thank you guys for the help though . I'm already having my eye out for Vox... The Jet City, I'm looking into right now, and the JSX, I can't find anything cheap used for it.

Haha the Jet City head is only 300 by itself, with either of the eminence cabs it will total to 500 or 600 like I said.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Umm... what styles are you playing?

Well, It's not that important to know for my amp choice, I want all of my distortion and effects sounds to be from my pedals, and future ones also... But just for kicks, I pretty much want to be able to get sounds for anything from clean jazz, to maybe a bit of metal *think early Metallica*... Jk about the early Metallica :P.... but yes, I need some high gain performance.
I am a Stephenist
Quote by CL/\SH
Haha the Jet City head is only 300 by itself, with either of the eminence cabs it will total to 500 or 600 like I said.

Damn, would there be any cheaper cabs that are still decent? :-/ I'm trying to go for around $200-$600 total :-/.
I am a Stephenist
I would try to get an Ampeg VT-22, 2x12 combo. They are made after the silverface Twin Reverb.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
ill probably get beat up for saying this but....
I have a crate stealth 50w head that i bought back in 97, it was made in 91. i know the "crate" part scares a lot of people off but this amp was designed by Lee Jackson and the clean channel is great! the dist channel has a bit of an old metal distortion, kinda thin.

these things go for really cheap on ebay and such. ive seen ones in great condition for around 200.
Quote by 5150rando
Damn, would there be any cheaper cabs that are still decent? :-/ I'm trying to go for around $200-$600 total :-/.

I think you are still misunderstanding me lol. The head WITH the cab would total at 500 or 600, whether you get the single speaker or double. The head is 300, while the 1*12 is 200, and the 2*12 is 300.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I would try to get an Ampeg VT-22, 2x12 combo. They are made after the silverface Twin Reverb.

ok, am i the only one who is scared by all these scary words and numbers, which to me mean nothing?
Muse. What more can i say?
Quote by CL/\SH
I think you are still misunderstanding me lol. The head WITH the cab would total at 500 or 600, whether you get the single speaker or double. The head is 300, while the 1*12 is 200, and the 2*12 is 300.

God, I'm sorry, lol. Ok thanks, that sounds much better, hahah.
I am a Stephenist
Quote by 5150rando
God, I'm sorry, lol. Ok thanks, that sounds much better, hahah.

No problem, man. Can't wait to see your NAD.
Bugera V55 or 50 watts or the V22 22 watts. People can make all the excuses that bugera isn't reliable and when it comes to their 1990's or 62xx's I can believe it but there hasn't been 1 problem with any of the V series. Both are 1x12 combos and sound great. The V22 is more of a vox tone while the V55 is more of a fender type. Both also have really nice overdriven bluesy to classic rock when eq'ed right.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
Last edited by matt s at Jan 2, 2010,