I am more then sure that this question has been asked but I am trying to find a book on bass guitar for me friend. He is amazing at playing from ear but he wants to start applying actual theory to bass and work on his technique more. He told me he wants to start from basics and I seem to know what he wants so I was wondering..

Are there any highly rated books on bass guitar out there? Something that teaches in a similar way Troy stetina does for his guitar books would be a big plus. Thanks for any help you can provide.

P.S. I literally mean he can play by ear.. he can do gnr licks, ozzy.. etc from just learning by ear and his only theory knowledge is the notes on the neck.
There are a great many good books on the bass. You'd have to be more specific. When you mention theory, music theory applies across the spectrum of instruments, so a general theory book would be a good place to start. If you mean something that teaches a lot of scales for 4, 5 and 6 string basses and how they apply to the bass, try Fretboard Alchemy and Fretboard Arcanum by Scott Hubbell.
The best book that I've found for teaching bass from the ground up is Hal Leonards Bass Method books. They come in three parts and they; force you to read, teach you proper technique, apply some theory, and basically everything you need to become able to start studying electric bass. If he really wants to get serious using it in conjunction with a good teacher may be an idea.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
The best book that I've found for teaching bass from the ground up is Hal Leonards Bass Method books. They come in three parts and they; force you to read, teach you proper technique, apply some theory, and basically everything you need to become able to start studying electric bass. If he really wants to get serious using it in conjunction with a good teacher may be an idea.

I also recommend these books.

You can now get all three volumes in one book with the CDs.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14597115&postcount=203

Check out that post...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14597197&postcount=204

And that one.

And if there isn't anything there that speaks to you, PM me. Ok--I have a really bad addiction to music books and have more books that any person really needs...
Okay I will take a look at the Hal leonard books and get back to some of you.

He needs to learn music theory but it would be cool if he could learn it inconjunction to bass... One thing I found awesome about fretboard mastery was how troy applied the principles of theory to guitar so I don't just see strings and frets but get more intimate with my instrument. such as giving examples to use with guitar which I can later build off with my own mind.

with that being said it would be cool to get his technique built up more... He really is a good bass player for having no real teaching other then what he set out to do with songs he has herd.

But keep ideas coming and I will look over them. I don't think he intends to get as skilled as I am attempting to be in theory but he wants a good base so he knows what he is doing and not trying to half ass it out.
Last edited by ehlert99 at Jan 2, 2010,
Tam (Anarkee) is spot on again Hal Leonard are generally as good as it gets and the threads she recommends need to be read. Also have a browse through the lessons and columns on UG where there is a lot of good stuff.
you also might want to check out victor wootens groove workshop, its a dvd but its really helpful
Quote by postmortem2006

Give him something he can appreciate.

Herpes maybe.
For theory geared towards a bass player, Mel Bay has a book out called Essential Music Theory for Electric Bass by Robert Garner. Its quite good and would fit your bill.
"Bass guitar for dummies" by Patrick Pfeiffer. Great book.
"Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?"

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination