I was wondering what some simple black metal songs there are to learn so i can get better at playing black metal. Can you give me any tips for playing black metal in general? Ive already learned Now, Diabolical by Satyricon which is a good start, i guess. I like all genres but I want to start a black metal band, Ive been playing for a year now, and I know my blues scales pretty well, and pentatonic, if that helps. Also, I have a Gibson Maestro, with a little amp, so can you reccomend me some good gear too (pedals, strings, amps, etc.). I can tremolo pick pretty well, that's not an issue, and I have also made a few riffs, and a solo, but i just don't know how to progress them from there. I also know power chords pretty decent. Thanks, all answers will be appreciated.
Last edited by headbanger32594 at Jan 2, 2010,
Stemmen Fra Taarnet-Burzum
Transilvanian Hunger- Darkthrone
Sons of Northern Darkness-Immortal
Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
Well for black metal you pretty much just need tremolo picking, you can try tremolo picking minor scales and it'll sound "black metal"
ea lord of the depths by burzum is a fun song, it uses a lot of power chords
fuel for hatred by satyricon is a really nice song with all the sliding
if you want more raw black metal sound try something like jesus tod jesu dod by burzum
and one final recommendation is transylvanian hunger by darkthrone
that should be enough to keep you busy for a while
Well, I have made a few riffs, theyre catchy as hell, great and everything, but theyre either too melodic, too deathy. I tune my guitar standard, i have tried Drop C and Drop D, but haven't made riffs that fit black metal. I want a somewhat melodic sound, but just can't make the riffs perfect. I can tremolo fine, I just want to be a little more creative, you know.
Quote by headbanger32594
Well, I have made a few riffs, theyre catchy as hell, great and everything, but theyre either too melodic, too deathy. I tune my guitar standard, i have tried Drop C and Drop D, but haven't made riffs that fit black metal. I want a somewhat melodic sound, but just can't make the riffs perfect. I can tremolo fine, I just want to be a little more creative, you know.

most black metal is in standard EADGBE btw and it might just be your tone, try maxing treble and gain with higher mids and not as much bass and it gives a real cutting black metal sound, hope that helps