I'm looking for some suggestions as to what guitar i should get within my £300 budget. I play lots of stuff ranging from indie, alternative and pop/rock, like feeder, muse, kasabian, to a bit of 70's rock, i also play a bit of jimi hendrix.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Yeah Ibanez and Gibson design all their models on their iPods.

Squier Jagmaster?

TC Ellise Series 2?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I would suggest a squire statocaster, not really sure exactly what they cost or what model but you should defenetly look into that
Definately take a look at the TC Ellis guitars, I've only heard fantastic things about them - http://tcellisguitars.com/guitars4sale.html
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
sounds like the standard fender stratocaster, which would be right about the tip of your budget. don't get a squier, invest in some quality.
][v][EGADET][-][

Mexi Strats are like £350-400 in England though.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Thanks guys, i will look into some of the suggestions you have given. I am looking to buy new intead of second hand really, but we'll see what happens eh... Anyway I will report back once i have looked at the suggested guitars.
Quote by ChucklesMginty

Last edited by iamaguitarist at Jan 3, 2010,
i have clearly stated that i am looking for suggestions as to what my next 'Guitar' might be, i appreciate your suggestion, but i am not looking for an amp right now.

I had an idea, I like v shaped guitars, so i was thinking i could get a Jackson JS30KV, and with the left over money from my £300 budget i could start to customise it...is that a good idea or not...?
Quote by ChucklesMginty

Ouch. No, not a good idea. Cedro isn't a good body wood at all (well, not for solidbody electric guitars - it has some uses for other instruments).

It's much better to spend £300 on a guitar with decent wood and core construction than it is to spend £200 on a worse guitar and slap on £100 of meaningless upgrades that you won't be able to notice anyway if the guitar's made like crap from cheap materials.

A Fender Standard HSS Strat sounds like it'd be ideal for you. That will be at the very top of your budget though. Failing that, look at the Squier Classic Vibe series of Strats, they're almost as good as the MIM Fenders (some people would argue they're equal or even better) and will cost a bit less.

Vintage and Vintage Advance guitars are also very nice. Most of the Vintage Advance series of guitars come in between £200 and £300 and are as good as any other guitar up to the £600 range. Regular Vintage guitars tend to cost more £150-£200 and are about as good as any Squier or Yamaha Pacifica guitar would be. A Vintage Advance AV6Series Strat will be a great option for you - it's a Strat with three stacked P-90 pickups with coil split, letting you get P-90 singlecoil tones as well as the slightly thicker, almost humbucker full stacked tone. They tend to cost around £280 and are far better than anything else even remotely close to the price range - graphite nuts, Wilkinson hardware including locking tuners and North American alder bodies.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I don't really like hollow body guitars, i will look into the vintage guitars. Thanks for everyone's input by the way.
Quote by ChucklesMginty

What about the Vintage Metal Axxe Reaper. I was thinking i could possibly put some p90's in there, i had a design for the Jackson but i could adapt it to make it work on the reaper... another possibility would be another jackson king v model, are these good ideas or would they turn out a bit rubbish
Quote by ChucklesMginty

Why do you need a guitar? getting another guitar in that low price range is really stypid (imo).
Um, if you're even remotely considering the Axxe Reaper or things like that Jackon V, something... isn't adding up. These styles rather contradict the styles of music you were citing before.

If you want to play metal then great, but going on what you said before it sounds like you want a much more mainstream pop-rock sound with a classic edge to it. That means you're looking at Strats, Teles, LPs, SGs, maybe a Jazzmaster or Jaguar - that sort of thing. I think you need to re-think what it is exactly you're after and need.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I know but i want a challenge, so i want a decent v shaped guitar, because i like the looks of them, and then i was thinking of putting some p90's in there to give it that single coil tone for the music i want. I don't really want a squier, i already have a epiphone sg special so i don't really want to go down the scale if you know what i mean.

EDIT: I looked at the vintage guitars, pretty nice, is there much point getting a vintage, or should i stretch it a bit for the vintage advance models. If i was going to get an advance model i would get the AV6H, it has a HSS pickup layout, i was thinking this because i think it looks awesome in vintage white with the black pickguard, and because i thought the single coils would do the lighter stuff and the bridge humbucker could do the harder stuff i might play.
Quote by ChucklesMginty

Last edited by iamaguitarist at Jan 4, 2010,
you want a challenge? buy a guitar that suits your taste in music, V shaped guitars base mainly around metal, such as jacksons. You currently have an epiphone sg, so i dont see the point in you buying another guitar for £300

I would suggest you either invest in a new amp or some new equipment... or wait until you have some more money to buy a better guitar that will suit your tastes as your playing improves. It says on ur sig that youve been playing since august, so you havnt been playing long enough to fully explore the guitar and different sounds you can make out of it, So buy a new amp in my eyes
GEAR :

Ibanez SA260FM
Burswood Strat Copy
Marshall GV-2 Distortion
Crate FlexWave 120 Amp

Playing since august with my sg special.

i bought it for £130, in my local guitar shop - gig sounds.

the difference between £130 and £300 is £170, it's not the same price range...Anyway what about the Vintage AV6H
Quote by ChucklesMginty

Just buy an amp.... or save up more money to invest in a better guitar.... otherwise in a few months time you will end up wanting another guitar that will cost more because there wont be that much difference between your epi and that one. I see on your profile that you have a fender 15W amp? (correct me if im wrong) why dont you buy a better amp instead?
GEAR :

Ibanez SA260FM
Burswood Strat Copy
Marshall GV-2 Distortion
Crate FlexWave 120 Amp

Hey there man , hope its not to late.
But i was in the same situation stuff as you until a few weeks ago. I was looking for a guitar that is versatile , nice looks , nice electronics , hardware etc - and i found the PERFECT guitar for me. Got it 3 weeks ago and have fallen in love with it , i actually prefer it to my mates Kirk Hammett signature guitar xD
Anyway , this is the guitar : http://www.guitar.co.uk/guitars/electric/2700-art300_electric_guitar

Its a little bit over your budget , but for £320 you get amazingly nice active pickups , very nice looks (if your not a fan of the finish , check out the ART320) , light and amazing hardware. Obviously its not going to be the same as a £1000 guitar. But for my needs its amazing......check it out!
Fender: Frontman 15G

I mean seriously? You're buying more guitars to play through that?
Guitar Gear
Marlin 2 Single 1 HumBuggy
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
V-Amp2
Marshall MG10CD - Microwaved
Line6 Spider III 30w - Put it in the oven
Oh sorry didn't see your amp.
If your after a guitar thats better to play - Get a better guitar
If your after a better tone/sound - Get a better amp

If that Fender amp is your only amp mate , i would really suggest you get a better amp unless your current guitar is really depressing you
cool i will check out the link, not too late haha. I don't want to get a better amp, i am not in a band, i am a bedroom rocker lol, i have an amp to satisfy my needs for now, i want to upgrade my guitar, better amp will come later.

EDIT: Thanks, i looked at them the art300 finish was not really to my taste, but the art320 was quite nice looking. I think that i would prefer a v shaped guitar though, but thanks anyway, you brought my attention to another site so thanks.

Please can you stop telling me get a better amp, i want a guitar right now, do you go into a guitar shop and say clearly to the guy in there that you want a guitar in your budget that is really good and then when he says "oh what about this, this is lovely, active emg's in there, maple fretboard, 24 frets, lovely guitar all round..." and then you say oh in fact what about this marshall class 5?"NO I DIDN'T THINK SO!
Quote by ChucklesMginty

Last edited by iamaguitarist at Jan 5, 2010,
tbh, the epiphone is not that much worse than something in the $300 price range, A CV squier is something that I'd check out, but try playing through something like a fender champion 600, epiphone valve jr, roland cube, or other decent amp before you pull the trigger on a new guitar
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/