so i bought a 91 gibson lp studio off ebay and one of the tuners broke on me. When ever i try to tune up, the back cover comes off. I took off the tuner and it looks like someone tried to fix it before.
Luckily, the guy included another set of tuners but when i tried to install them I had a little problem
The old set have a bolt thing that goes around the tuning shaft and screws into the bass of the tuner to secure it to the head stock along with the screws on the back.

The new set just has a little thing (bushing?) that goes around the tuning shaft, witch is slightly larger in diameter then the old ones, and it just falls of if i put in in the hole around the tuning peg...
What am i doing wrong? am i missing some parts?
Thanks for any help.
Last edited by GuernZila at Jan 2, 2010,
You just place the washer over the peg and then screw in the bolt, which should hold the washer in place....unless I am missing something here....
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
that's actually really common with gibson tuners. they break somewhat often. i got mine replaced, and have had fewer tuning issues (not that i had many in the first place) and they just seem more durable.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by LEPIV
You just place the washer over the peg and then screw in the bolt, which should hold the washer in place....unless I am missing something here....

ya Thats how the old ones worked bit my new set just has this thing and no bolt or washer...
Quote by LEPIV

ya Thats how the old ones worked bit my new set just has this thing and no bolt or washer...
Quote by David Collins
You need conversion bushings to use press-fit grommet tuners on a headstock previously fit with threaded bushings. Those threaded bushing tuners are quite fragile and prone to breakage. Terrible design in my opinion.

As it sits though, there's really no simple way to swap out your old tuners for the new ones you have without conversion bushings.

where do i get these bushings?
ya actualy il be heading into ann arbor rather soon...
i also waz told to go to elderly cuz me lp needs a refret so i might me heading there too
so i jsut need to convert from the screw-in bushing to a push-fit bushing