i've been trying to play the bassline of scarified for sometime now and i am almost done, but i can't nail that freakn' 2nd bass solo, it's driving me crazy, i can't figure out how the hell did juan play it using just 2 fingers, i am playing it pretty fast and when i play along the track i start aand finish the solo at the same time with hm, but i can't do that in the speed picking-like speed that he does, can someone please help me?
He uses a pick, there are no two ways about it
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Fender Jazz V
Yahama Pacifica 112
Acoustic B200h
2 custom 1x15 cabs
Vox AD30VT
too many pedals
delirium, while that is a good point, i think he may be asking for some technique help.

TS, if you're talking about the sweeping part near the mid-end, sweep with your thumb (at least when going down), if you have trouble sweeping up with the thumb, the use a finger.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Finnger thumb sweeps are your best bet.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Quote by TheTortured
delirium, while that is a good point, i think he may be asking for some technique help.

TS, if you're talking about the sweeping part near the mid-end, sweep with your thumb (at least when going down), if you have trouble sweeping up with the thumb, the use a finger.

well i was asking for some technique help u are right about that, i am sorry if that wasn't clear. i didn't know that there was sweeping on this one, are u sure that he uses sweeping? and how could it be done on bass?
Last edited by puskus54 at Jan 2, 2010,
To be honest, looking at it now it just looks like a straight playing fill. I wouldn't bother with sweeping, you'd be hammering on and off far too much.

Just keep practising it, that's the only way you'll get it.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by BamaBlues

No he doesn't...
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
Paul gilberts bassist is a member of basschat and he posted a video where hie plays it all with his fingers, just plain and simple and very fast.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
He most definitely does not use a pick.

And anyway, when i went to see Paul Gilbert live last year, the bassist with him used his fingers.

The way i do it is by using my ring finger to pick as well.
Quote by BamaBlues

Linus of Hollywood uses a pick for the version on Space Ship Live.
Quote by fatgoogle
Paul gilberts bassist is a member of basschat and he posted a video where hie plays it all with his fingers, just plain and simple and very fast.

he used only two fingers, didn't he?
Quote by Captain Insano
Linus of Hollywood uses a pick for the version on Space Ship Live.

the bass solos are different on the space ship version
Quote by puskus54
he used only two fingers, didn't he?

All as in the whole song and presuming everyone would presume i meant two fingers
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul