I was wondering if anyone can help me. I am new to bass but i used to play guitar so i am used to playing with a pic. I wasn't great so i didn't play fast but i am used to it. Now that i am playing bass, i am using a pick because A. I am used to it, but B. it is the only way i can get a tone i like.

Anyway, since i never played fast i am having trouble playing War by Burzum. I can play it on the fretboard but it is my picking hand that has problems. My thumb muscles start to cramp and i just can't keep it up. Does anyone know if my bass height affects this(im not an idiot so i know it could but i dont' think it is). I have my bass right center on my waist which feels natural for me. I don't know what i can do to build stamina. Any tips?
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"
it might be your posture on the picking hand. how are you holding it? also take it slow in the beginning. bass is a whole new instrument. takes some time getting used to.
♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪

Quote by Rune Playaz
I vote thycrusader for 'The guy who hit the nail on the head'

Quote by Emilyyy.
thycrusader = Thigh_Crusader
Quote by Rain_In_Blood
My thumb muscles start to cramp

I know exactly what you're talking about with the discomfort, but for me it's in my forearm that I get this almost burning.

Do you play with your picking hand anchored?

In any case, I feel like it's just a matter of playing more and developping those muscles and muscle memory
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Quote by Rain_In_Blood
I was wondering if anyone can help me. I am new to bass but i used to play guitar so i am used to playing with a pic. I wasn't great so i didn't play fast but i am used to it. Now that i am playing bass, i am using a pick because A. I am used to it, but B. it is the only way i can get a tone i like.

Anyway, since i never played fast i am having trouble playing War by Burzum. I can play it on the fretboard but it is my picking hand that has problems. My thumb muscles start to cramp and i just can't keep it up. Does anyone know if my bass height affects this(im not an idiot so i know it could but i dont' think it is). I have my bass right center on my waist which feels natural for me. I don't know what i can do to build stamina. Any tips?

for stamina, all you can do is keep playing through the pain. give it time.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
yeah i get this too but only very occasionally when i haven't played for a few days... its crippling. to counter it i try to make my thumb touch my little finger (without bending either). you feel a bit of stretch in the base of your thumb and it kinda warms up the right muscles i suppose. this is an exercise i discovered/made up, so i accept no responsibility for any sorta tendonitis, or carpel tunnel disorder you might get, haha.
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Quote by NakedBassist
I know exactly what you're talking about with the discomfort, but for me it's in my forearm that I get this almost burning.

Do you play with your picking hand anchored?

In any case, I feel like it's just a matter of playing more and developping those muscles and muscle memory

Sorry for not replying, been off for a few days. Yes, i do play anchored with my palm on my bridge. If that is improper technique can you tell me how i should play. And i will also loosen my grip on the pick if that helps. thanks guys
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"
A lot of pain in bass.

Move your hand more Parallel to the Bass.
CEO - The Meme Store.
CEO - Moustache and Monocle.
Electronic Engineer - Dynamix Audio Engineering.

I enjoy rain. Rain noise is nice.

Caught in the Crossfire
British Post-Rock group.
http://www.facebook.com/CITCMusic
Dead Famous Records
Last edited by Lukeeeeeeeeeee. at Jan 4, 2010,
Quote by Rain_In_Blood
Yes, i do play anchored with my palm on my bridge. If that is improper technique can you tell me how i should play.

It's not necessarily "improper technique" but when I started playing that's basically how I picked as well, but I started playing with more of a floating style one day just to experiment, and then never went back.

I found that with the palm slapped on the bridge (or behind it in my case, actually) my wrist would get tired faster, and my forearm couldn't really get involved at all.

I found my tone improved as well, instead of being overly harsh and trebly it became less abrassive but still had plenty of attack.

You can even pick using your shoulder (like Jason Newsted) when you want to really dig in.

Once you start relying more on muscle memory than the anchor, I've found it easier to play things like fast string skipping. Actually, I found most things easier to play.

I sometimes do anchor, but it's only ever when I'm on the E, and I sort of curl my ring finger and pinky in and rest it above the string (instead of the bridge), if that makes sense. It's mainly when tremolo picking or playing fast, tricky rhythms though.

At then end of the day though, whatever works for you.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Last edited by NakedBassist at Jan 4, 2010,
I'd have to know more about your playing style, but at the very least make sure you only pick from the wrist when playing 2 or more notes on the same string and use your arm when changing strings. You don't want to be all from the wrist all the time in other words.