I recently bought a Gibson Flying V for £800, (you can see a pic of it on my profile) and I freakin' love it. The sustain on it is breathtaking, the body is a solid piece and incredibly light and it's overall an awesome guitar. I don't regret buying it, but my friend who is a fellow guitarist claims that he wouldn't have spent as much as I did on a Gibson. He claims that it's a fanboy-ish guitar and that he managed to get an SG few years ago for under a £100 and that it didn't impress him as much. I of course completely disregard his opinion. I think that while £800 is a lot to be spending on a guitar, I've seen other Gibsons for £1500+. I think I got a bargain on a brilliant guitar that should appreciate in value over the years. But he has left me thinking, did I spend too much? I would consider myself a novice guitar player, with only 2-3 years of playing under my belt. So does anyone agree with me that it was worth it? Or should have I gone for more entry level guitar instead?
If you like it great. But don't count on gibsons to appreciate through the years. THe old ones are rare Because they were Hand made and high quality. Gibson makes as many guitars in a week now as they did in a year back then so dont count on it to be an "investment" But if you like it than what more do you want from it
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Your opinion is what matters, if your friend managed to get a 'Gibson' SG for 100 pound then it was probably a fake. By the sounds of it you've got a great guitar. Your the one playing it so it's what you think that matters. What you payed is right for that guitar. A good quality guitar will let you improve more and more quickly than a cheaper one so you made the right choice.
Always glad to see fellow Flying V players, as long as you like it it doesnt matter if people think your a fanboy or paid to much or any of that nonsense.
The Rig
Gibson Flying V
Blackstar HT-5 Stack
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MXR GT-OD
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-3
Quote by TechnoLp
If you like it great. But don't count on gibsons to appreciate through the years. THe old ones are rare Because they were Hand made and high quality. Gibson makes as many guitars in a week now as they did in a year back then so dont count on it to be an "investment" But if you like it than what more do you want from it

They're unlikely to go up in value any time soon, but they do tend to hold their value for a long time given that theyre kept in good condition.
play whatever feels best to you man. Oh and I'm jealous I've always loved Gibson Flying V's. I would save up for one but my next buy will be a Fender Telecaster, It also doesnt matter how long you've been playing And again, Its your opinion that matters
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

Yes, you probably did pay too much. It's Gibson what did you expect?
I'm currently working on a system to generate MIDI from the motion of a guitar. More info coming soon.
IMHO it's a little high, in US dollars is close to $1300.00. Between 83 and 89 Gibson did a lot of Vs and Explorers with graphics and they do not seem to be very popular and usually pop up at shows, shops and Craig's list pretty cheap. About two years ago I scored a mid 80 Explorer for $500.00 I used it as trade fodder for a better vintage Gibson SG. IMHO they look and sound great but never really seem to take off. I have never seen that design but there were a lot I probably never saw.

Here is a web page dedicated to Gibson Vs it's got some good pics and some useful info. It's not complete it's missing info on one of my favorite V the V2 which I have owned two.

http://www.flying-v.ch/

John
I don't know anything about this reissue you're talking about but don't count on it to increase in value significantly. As mentioned earlier Gibson is making a lot more guitars per day than they did in the past. The only guitars that will appreciate in value aren't the limited runs or anything like that, it's the regular production ones that were stopped abruptly or saw a short production span with a certain cofiguration.

The Flying V I own was only produced for a year and 2 months due to a potential lawsuit from an Islamic group and customers complaining that the Faded series should resemble a well-worn guitar from the past. These vintage V's they're referring to didn't have an Ebony fretboard and no Flying V up to that point had Moon inlays on the neck. This guitar (in great shape like mine) is just now selling used for what they sold for new.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]