Hey guys
If im suffering from fret buzz which should i adjust first. Truss rod (relief of the neck) or action?
Which would be the main culprit?

Cheers!
where is the buzz? what strings, what frets? what type of guitar?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Oh sorry.
Lower down the fretboard , around 1st-5th fret.
Its very noticiable when in drop d and picking harder. Sorry if this sounds obvious
Cheers man

EDIT : Guitar is Ibanez ART - 300
Last edited by Zoofie at Jan 2, 2010,
don't touch the trust rod, you'll probably end up snapping the neck and rendering your guitar irreversibly useless. Play with the action and if you can't get it much better take your guitar to be set up properly by a professional.
Quote by Zoofie
Oh sorry.
Lower down the fretboard , around 1st-5th fret.
Its very noticiable when in drop d and picking harder. Sorry if this sounds obvious
Cheers man

EDIT : Guitar is Ibanez ART - 300

raising the action at the bridge isnt going to help.

there's nothing "dangerous" about adjusting a truss rod, if you know what you're doing.

so measure first.

fret the low e at the first fret and at the same time,
at the last fret where the neck and body meet.

with both places held, look at the middle frets.

does the string lay on the fret wire there?

edit: ok all the guys afraid to learn how to adjust a guitar, no need to post anymore, thanks i've got it from here.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

I know it can be dangerous , but im willing to learn , and i've read all about how to do it.
Im not going to do anything stupid like turn it huge amounts , i will spend alot of time over it and do tiny adjustments at a time

Yeah man it lays pretty much on the 7th fret , does that mean the neck is too straight and needs more relief? As in the truss rod needs to be rotated slightly counter clockwise?

Ohhh also something i was confused with , what do you tune your bottom e to when your doing these ? Always standard tuning?

Sorry for blabbering btw , your help is so much appreciated I fail to see the point in paying £15 or whatever getting this done for you when some knowledge and TLC can fix it

Cheers man
yeah your neck is too straight or back bowed.

start in standard or detuned a bit, because you'll want to be in standard after the adjustment anyway.

but fyi, the tuning wont effect the measurement or the adjustment.

unless maybe if the strings were too tense and you straighted the neck more, that sort of thing could break a string. ANYHOO...

turn 1/8 turn counter clockwise. then let it sit in tune.
dont force the turn and feel free to measure again, but don't turn more than a 1/4 turn a day.

post back with questions.
edit: an ideal height, for standard play will be about a medium picks height, when measuring. more than a credit card's thickness is too much.

you might find that in the long run, your guitar will play better with thicker gauge strings.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Jan 2, 2010,
Ohhh cool that makes a whole heap of sense , so whether im in drop d , drop b , standard - if the string is on the fret when putting pressure on last and first fret the truss rod needs to be 'loosened'?

Just a question out of curiosity - if my guitar has 24 frets , why am i looking at the 7th fret and not the 12th? Which is half way down the neck.

Cheers

Btw , going to be doing all this tomorrow as my allen key set is in the garage
some guys fret the very first and very last fret and look at the very middle, but i like this technique best because when you add relief to a neck it'll get added to the ~7-9th fret area.

so might as well look there and see if it'll help in that spot.

the string, regardless of it's tension. i mean if it's in tune or not in tune. doesn't matter for the measurement part, because all you're doing,
when you hold the first and last, by the neck pocket, is using the string like a straight edge. and that's it.

you want a totally straight line to compare to the neck, so you can see if the neck is too straight. so, the saddle height, and the nut cuts, none of that matters, in this instance.

you just want to see if you should make the neck a little more curved to increase playability.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Whoa dude.........i have learnt so much about this in what? 10 minutes?
Thanks so much! I will do this tomorrow! After the first 8th of a turn for example , how long will it take to make a difference to the neck? Or is only doing a 1/4 of a turn a day simply so you don't strain the neck too much?
you want the guitar to have time to settle in between adjustments.

sometimes you'll think it needs more, then a half hour later, it's playing better on it's own.

also, i need to make sure no one is forcing a turn, cranking the turn, that sort of thing.

i've been settling up the guitars on ug for a while, there's a setup thread at the top of the page.
i need to triple check that guys are doing it a certain way, for this to work.

when i'm working on a guitar, i'm not as careful. HAHA

anyway, i'm on every morning, so feel free to ask any other questions or post in the thread up there. green link in my sig.

Jen

edit: it might take 1 turn might take a couple.
didn't see that question there.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Jan 2, 2010,
Thanks so much! Take care , will be sure to contact you if i get stuck :P
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Check the neck and decide if the amount of relief is about right. If so, then deal with the action. The order to go in is...

Neck --> Action --> Intonation

Any of those items affects the one(s) to the right, so adjust accordingly.
Quote by Dodeka
Check the neck and decide if the amount of relief is about right. If so, then deal with the action. The order to go in is...

Neck --> Action --> Intonation

Any of those items affects the one(s) to the right, so adjust accordingly.

gah. did you even read the thread?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62