I've bought a set of Dimarzio pickups for my Epi LP custom and I'm thinking that I may aswell upgrade the wiring and pots while i'm at it, because the sound will randomly cut out when I switch to the neck pickup, and the wiring on the Epi is generally quite poor

So could I have some advice on which to go for here? :

http://www.axesrus.com/axeknobs.htm#Kits
I would get the Gibson wiring kit.

Oh and thanks for reminding I also need to change the pots and switch on my LP.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Gibson, thats what I was thinking

Anyone any idea how much it should roughly cost to have someone fit new wiring and pickups?
Can you solder?
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by BucketheadOwns
Gibson, thats what I was thinking

Anyone any idea how much it should roughly cost to have someone fit new wiring and pickups?

ive been quoted 45 a pick up. i had pick ups put in for 25 even for both. it all dpends/ if you get it done by a good guitar tech youre probably looking at close to 100 for having new pick ups and electronics put in.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
^If you can solder, putting in new electronics is quite easy. But unless you know a local guitar tech who doesn't work for a major music shop, ask them to do it because they will give you a good price for putting in new electronics.
Quote by Kensai

Sums up whisky perfectly
I have a soldering iron and I can solder. The idea of trying to do it myself is a bit scary, considering i've never touched the inside of a guitar before
Gibson wiring harnesses suck ass. Their pots suck ass, and their caps suck ass.

I would get a wiring harness from RS guitarworks. However, the pots that come with the RS kit need for you to widen the holes in the guitar so you may need to route out some extra space so that they'll fit. But any CTS pot is going to require that.
Quote by BucketheadOwns
I have a soldering iron and I can solder. The idea of trying to do it myself is a bit scary, considering i've never touched the inside of a guitar before

The insides of a guitar are extremely simple, really, there's not a lot to it. Open it up and have a look. Just be careful with the screws, don't overtighten them when you put it back together because it's easy to strip the threads in the wood. That's the hardest part of it - really. Have a look at the wiring thread it will explain pretty much everything you are looking at.

*says somebody that's been pulling apart every piece of equipment he's got his hands on since he was a kid*

Has curiosity in how things work been killed by consumerism and the disgraceful concept of "rational ignorance"? Or am I just showing my age?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The insides of a guitar are extremely simple, really, there's not a lot to it. Open it up and have a look. Just be careful with the screws, don't overtighten them when you put it back together because it's easy to strip the threads in the wood. That's the hardest part of it - really. Have a look at the wiring thread it will explain pretty much everything you are looking at.

*says somebody that's been pulling apart every piece of equipment he's got his hands on since he was a kid*

Has curiosity in how things work been killed by consumerism and the disgraceful concept of "rational ignorance"? Or am I just showing my age?

If I had money to spare I wouldnt mind playing about with things too much. But being a student I can;t really afford to break anything

I had a look inside the guitar and there's loads of wires going between all four pots and to the pickups, its a little overwhelming but i'll have a read through the wiring thread and see if I can understand what i'm supposed to be doing, as £100 to get someone else to do it seems a little excessive
It does seem rather excessive. If you lived over here I'd do it for you for $50 (thats about £25)

Get your hands dirty, be careful and you'll do fine unless you're a complete clutz. I completely rewired my first guitar (added an extra pickup Robbie Robertson style and three extra switches as well) when i was a 17 yo student - and its still working! I did go on to become a tech though so .........
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

This, I have always liked doing DIY on my guitars and taking apart my pedals and amps.
Quote by Kensai

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by Jak Archer
This, I have always liked doing DIY on my guitars and taking apart my pedals and amps.

AND you're a youngen, nice to see. Kudos man, we seem to be a dying breed.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I only learned last year how to mod guitars and such, but since I've rewired all of my guitars, swappe dout dozen pickups, modded pedals and such and I absolutely love it.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by Cathbard
AND you're a youngen, nice to see. Kudos man, we seem to be a dying breed.

Yh, people seem to be too cautious with these type of things.

TS, I say find a few diagrams on wiring the guitar and then do it. It is really simple.
Quote by Kensai

Sums up whisky perfectly
I found this diagram. It makes things look pretty easy, although I have Dimarzio not SD. I haven't looked at the wires on them yet but I'm sure i could figure it out
Will you be coil splitting or anything? Because when you buy pickups you have either 4-conductor wiring or 2-conductor wiring . Do you know which you have?
Quote by Kensai

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by BucketheadOwns
I found this diagram. It makes things look pretty easy, although I have Dimarzio not SD. I haven't looked at the wires on them yet but I'm sure i could figure it out

look at the pups you are using on the dimarzio site click on installation and you`ll get a list of wiring diagrams.

the fault you are describing is a common one on all epi 3-way switches
I thought I'd give an update. I wired my guitar and put in the new pickups. What a transformation! The pickups are infinitely better than those shitty stock epiphone ones, and the push/pull pots give me even more variety in tones

Considering I got the guitar used for £150 and spent £90 on the pups and £35 on the wiring kit + £50 replacing the worn gold hardware with chrome (including chrome knobs) it feels like I have a gem of a guitar for just over £300, and the guitar brand new costs over £400! Plus it feels more personal to me because I've made it exactly how I want it to be
Schecter Blackjack ATX C1 FR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (w/ Jimmmy Page wiring kit & Dimarzio Air Norton/Tone Zone)
Blackstar HT5s
POD X3 Live