Hi! I was wondering what the appropriate solution would be to clean/shine my acoustic guitar? Ive reasearched it but the reviews are very mixed. Ive heard olive oil and once used orange oil (for cleaning wooden furniture). But I really don't want to continue to do this because I feel it may be harmful to my guitar.

What solution, or method should I use to clean my acoustic guitar? It's Dao wood if that makes any difference.

Second, I don't really understand the difference between the different strings I can purchase. They usually automatically give me the most basic, cheap ones. What are the different kinds and in what way do they change the sound/quality?? I would say I am a intermediate player so I want to try some other brands but I don't fully understand them. I would ask the people at my local shop but they are really unhelpful and condescending!

Thanks!!!

Happy New Year!
i wouldn't suggest you try any home-cleaning methods, your best bet is buying a cheap guitar cleaner, it's always more reliable.

as for the strings, it really depends on what sound you want, and what feel you want.
Speak the truth and speak 'ever
Cost it what it will
For he who hide the wrong he did
Did the wrong thing still
I perfer to use Sylvania's classical strings for my classical, they are about $20 but compared to the $7 ones I buy and break it's work the money..

as for cleaning it, my guitar never gets that dirty, i just wipe it down with a cloth, maybe a tiny bit of water.
OIL IS BAD!
I tried it once and had my hands slipping all across my fret the next day, no bueno.
Honestly, a nice soft slightly damp rag is all you need. Chemicals leave residue on the finish, which can build up a bit of dirt over time.

As for strings, there are a few string suggestion threads within the stickied Acoustic Master Information thread at the top of this forum.

Quote by Vennin
I perfer to use Sylvania's classical strings for my classical, they are about $20 but compared to the $7 ones I buy and break it's work the money..

as for cleaning it, my guitar never gets that dirty, i just wipe it down with a cloth, maybe a tiny bit of water.
OIL IS BAD!
I tried it once and had my hands slipping all across my fret the next day, no bueno.

Lemon Oil is actually good for certain parts of the guitar. The fretboard and bridge need a bit of oil every 6 months or so to keep it hydrated.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.