Ok so i was wondering if there was anyway of being able to use strictly software to use VST synths effectively? Is there some kind of digital midi controller software that can work with all VST's?

My band has a Midi controller but i figure if we can just keep it digital then we dont have to worry about buying an interface or anything like that.

So I guess my question is, What programs/software would I need to run VST's with just a computer for live performances (On a Mac to be specific)?
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
pretty much every MIDI controller will work on any VSTi, you can also program MIDI tracks for VSTis using piano roll if your DAW has that option.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
pretty much every MIDI controller will work on any VSTi, you can also program MIDI tracks for VSTis using piano roll if your DAW has that option.

Okay then i guess my question is what would be the necessary equipment to accomplish it?
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Quote by MattsRichardson
Okay then i guess my question is what would be the necessary equipment to accomplish it?

any USB MIDI controller, or any MIDI controller at all if you have a MIDI interface.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by MattsRichardson
A program that runs VST instruments and a computer capable of running the program.
physically? A computer, a MIDI interface and a keyboard. Some keyboards have USB connections that mean no need for the MIDI interface. These tend to have less latency and a therefore better for live performance.

software? a DAW with support for VSTs and a VST software synth. Or an AU software synth that runs in garageband. I can recommend Vanguard as an AU.

edit: I run Vanguard in garageband on an old 867Mhz Powerbook with a USB interface rigged to an old MIDI keyboard. It works pretty much flawlessly, except for the occasional latency issue (although that could just be the fact that the powerbook is coming up on 8 years old).
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Last edited by jgbsmith at Jan 2, 2010,