Hey, at the moment I am planning on getting a marshall vintage modern 50 watt head, and in the future hopefully upgrading to a plexi. But for now, what cab should I get? First of all A or B? What speakers would be best, I was thinking of greenbacks or maybe vintage 30s. If I go for the greenbacks, besides the tolex, is there much difference between the 1960TV, 1960AX and the 1960AC? Anyways, any suggestions welcome. Just to let you know, I like classic rock, blues rock and hard rock. Like Free, ZZ Top, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Cream, Black Stone Cherry, Joe Bonamassa and stuff like that. Thanks in advance.
Dave
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
Budget?
Willing to go used?
Closest major city?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
^This
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
For the sounds you want, I would suggest G12H30 Heritage speakers, or if those are too costly, then Scumback H55s. The key to those Kossoff and Zeppelin tones are using the Celestion bass spec G12H30s, they're not the 25 watt greenbacks that modern Celestion reissues. I mean, greenbacks will do the job, but they're not going to nail that sound for you. I use a quad of older greenback reissues (back when they were still made in England) in an early '90s 1960ax and I can cop the live Free tones reasonably well but at the same time, it's not the exact same. I throw around some Free licks in the youtube vid in my signature.

Also, I don't know shit about the 1960ac, but the difference between the ax and tv is that the tv is slightly oversized, this will give you more low end, whether you want that or not is up to you, a lot of it will have to do with the amp that you're pairing it with.

I think the 1960ax is a great cab and you can find it for a great price used, I paid $375 for mine.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 2, 2010,
OK, should have specified a bit more. I can stretch to about £650 for the budget. I am willing to go used. And my nearest major city is Manchester. I will try before I buy, it's just that I'd like to have an idea of what to look out for. I will probably end up buying of the internet, but I will try them first.
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
Avatar cabs, You choose the color of tolex, color of screen and piping, and you can choose from quite a few different speakers including V30's and the G12H30 you could get a 4x12 with 2 of each within your price range. check them out

http://avatarspeakers.com/
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
Quote by al112987
For the sounds you want, I would suggest G12H30 Heritage speakers, or if those are too costly, then Scumback H55s. The key to those Kossoff and Zeppelin tones are using the Celestion bass spec G12H30s, they're not the 25 watt greenbacks that modern Celestion reissues. I mean, greenbacks will do the job, but they're not going to nail that sound for you. I use a quad of older greenback reissues (back when they were still made in England) in an early '90s 1960ax and I can cop the live Free tones reasonably well but at the same time, it's not the exact same. I throw around some Free licks in the youtube vid in my signature.

Also, I don't know shit about the 1960ac, but the difference between the ax and tv is that the tv is slightly oversized, this will give you more low end, whether you want that or not is up to you, a lot of it will have to do with the amp that you're pairing it with.

I think the 1960ax is a great cab and you can find it for a great price used, I paid $375 for mine.

this guy is legit.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?